Advanced search

to have made DH throw away this chicken...

(42 Posts)
banana87 Mon 19-Sep-11 18:56:18

Just went into the kitchen where DH was preparing dinner. I am 30 weeks pregnant so slightly heightened sense of smell. It smelled of diarrhea. Went over to the (raw) chicken sitting in the pan and smelled. Stank of diarrhea. DH insisted it didn't smell and "chicken always smells when it comes out of it's packet". Date on packet 13th September. A complete meltdown later (on my part blush) and the chicken is now in the outside bin, DH now cursing under his breath as he starts another dish. AIBU or was DH right?

hellhasnofury Mon 19-Sep-11 18:57:09

You are right.

pigletmania Mon 19-Sep-11 18:57:25

YANBU at all, better in the bin I say.

HeadfirstForHalloween Mon 19-Sep-11 18:58:13

YWNBU! You have to be careful with meat, particularly chicken. I'm veggie and even I know you shoudn't use a chicken 6 days past it's best.

pigletmania Mon 19-Sep-11 18:58:33

Better be safe than sorry, food poisoning can be life threatening, and when your pg more so for your unborn baby. Whats £5 when the consequences could be dreadful.

nancythursday Mon 19-Sep-11 18:58:59

Stinky chicken should be in the bin.

SarahStratton Mon 19-Sep-11 18:59:22

YANBU unless it was frozen prior to it's date. But then I've binned stinky chickens well inside their UBD.

StrandedBear Mon 19-Sep-11 19:00:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squeakytoy Mon 19-Sep-11 19:01:17

Chicken does always have a whiffy smell when it comes out of the packet.. however when you can smell a chicken that is a week past its use by date it is likely to have been ready to walk off by itself..

I am all for the sniff test rather than relying solely on the date, but I agree with you, that bird would have been dangerous to eat!

Redumbdancy Mon 19-Sep-11 19:01:43

Birds that smell of diarrhoea shouldn't be eaten! <voms>

maypole1 Mon 19-Sep-11 19:02:09

To be honest your right to throw it away last few times I have brought chicken from tesco it's smelt really bad the next day

susiedaisy Mon 19-Sep-11 19:02:42

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 19-Sep-11 19:02:44

yanbu, it was 6 days past it use by date.

kat2504 Mon 19-Sep-11 19:02:51

You were spot on. Even not pregnant you would have been right. Food poisoning is dangerous and even if it is a mild dose it would leave you feeling rotten for days on end. When you are pregnant food safety is even more important, especially with chicken. Also if it stank that bad you would hardly have wanted to actually eat it so it would have been wasted anyway.
I know a lot of food is wasted when people chuck it out as soon as it reaches the date, but with meat I think you have to be more careful. With chicken I really wouldn't use it more than 2 days maximum over the date, if that.

buzzskillington Mon 19-Sep-11 19:18:59

Iggly Mon 19-Sep-11 19:20:22

Chicken doesn't smell when out of the packet (not the stuff I buy). You should trust your nose when it comes to meat.

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 19-Sep-11 19:22:09

Crosshair Mon 19-Sep-11 19:22:11

Catsmamma Mon 19-Sep-11 19:23:00

I'll ignore no end of use by dates, but if it fails the sniff test then in the bin!

Mind you I had issues with smell when pg....couldn't go back to places cos they smelled, or sometimes even if I imagined they might smell. <over indulged pregnant fusspot>

oh I couldn't even be in the kitchen when the kettle boiled because it smelled weird.

JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Mon 19-Sep-11 19:24:28

YANBU <boak>

banana87 Mon 19-Sep-11 19:27:29

Ok good, so I'm not just being a paranoid pregnant freak. He says he wouldn't have eaten it if it smelled cooked but if he couldn't see how bad it smelled raw then gawd knows....anyway, am very pleased I caught it when I did, he was planning on feeding it to our nearly 3 yr old DD as well!

MiseryBusiness Mon 19-Sep-11 19:29:58

IndieNile Mon 19-Sep-11 19:33:14

When in doubt throw it out!

ChristinedePizan Mon 19-Sep-11 19:34:00

I am very devil-may-care when it comes to sell by and use by dates but there is no way I'd eat a chicken that stank.

thederkinsdame Mon 19-Sep-11 19:41:51

Anything other than meat I am a bit laissez faire about sell-by-dates. Red meat, if it looks and smells OK I'll take a chance. Poultry, less so and if I was PG I wouldn't dare risk it. If I was married to your DH I think I'd be going veggie until the baby is born!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now