Talk

Advanced search

To think shops shouldn't charge for 'tiny baby' clothes

(187 Posts)
hiss42 Mon 19-Sep-11 17:59:35

Looking at baby clothes in boots today (i'm sure lots of other places do them). They had tiny tiny vests suitable for 3lb babies that they were charging £8 for! And it had a tag on them that said the front opening for hospital wires. Horrible.

I've just found them online and the hospital wires tag isn't on them, it's now described as:
"Low Birth Weight Jacket features a friendly bear print, a wrapover front and opens flat with soft velcro fastenings to the front and sleeves to make dressing the little chap much easier."

If you 3lb baby is so ill in hospital it has tubes and wires, It's criminal to charge £8 for something for them to wear!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 19-Sep-11 18:01:05

So who do you suggest provides the fabric, the cutting, stitching etc for tiny baby clothes?

StrandedBear Mon 19-Sep-11 18:02:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OneLieIn Mon 19-Sep-11 18:02:14

YABU.....of course they should charge.

ColdSancerre Mon 19-Sep-11 18:02:22

YABU do you expect shops to provide them for free?

usualsuspect Mon 19-Sep-11 18:03:02

People have to earn a living making the baby clothes though

OneLieIn Mon 19-Sep-11 18:03:02

Infact, we workers, including the nurses and midwives looking after the baby premies should all pay more tax so even more can be free....

ObiWan Mon 19-Sep-11 18:03:18

I have no experience of tiny babies, but I would imagine that at 3lbs, most of them would be wearing just a nappy in an incubator.

I suppose it gives people the chance to buy 'first clothes', just as they would for any baby.

BatsUpMeNightie Mon 19-Sep-11 18:03:25

I would ask if it's coming up for a full moon but I know it's not so I'm just going to stare open-mouthed at this absurd question and wait. For. Something. To. Happen.

SanctiMoanyArse Mon 19-Sep-11 18:03:31

Huh?

DS1 wasn;t that small- he was 5lb but average length so you can imagione what he looked like (placental failure) then he went down to 4lb but the last thing on my mind was the cost of the clothes! TBh I was grateful when we found them- and I understand that fewer babies = less demand.

Also as an aside when DNephew was in NICU the hospital porvided his clothing whilst in the incubator. They specificallya sked people NOT to buy it and to get larger sizes instead.

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Mon 19-Sep-11 18:03:34

Yo're being ridiculous. I'm sure there are cheaper places to buy the clothes anyway. Why is it horrible that they are front opening? Sounds incredibly sensible to me.

ArmageddonOuttahere Mon 19-Sep-11 18:03:44

If they were free, people would take all the stock and use them as dusters.

YABU. What an idiotic post.

StrandedBear Mon 19-Sep-11 18:05:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

usualsuspect Mon 19-Sep-11 18:05:55

MN is bonkers this evening

GypsyMoth Mon 19-Sep-11 18:06:34

Yabu..... Words fail me!

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 19-Sep-11 18:06:47

YABVU - who should make them, pack them, deliver them etc for free, the baby clothes fairy?

Ephiny Mon 19-Sep-11 18:06:52

YABU, obviously. Do you understand the concept of shops - they sell things, to make money. They don't give stuff away for free just because the people buying it might have had something sad or difficult happen in their lives!

This is a wind-up, isn't it?

TidyDancer Mon 19-Sep-11 18:08:07

YABVU. Of course. The shops are not responsible for the prematurity of the baby. The answer to not charging for clothes is to not produce the clothes. As the aunt of a premature baby, I can bloody well assure you my brother would much have preferred to clothe his DS.

What a weird thread.

notsofastmrbond Mon 19-Sep-11 18:08:15

But, a ten pound baby could get seriously ill. And the parents would still have to buy their clothes. So....

VivaLeBeaver Mon 19-Sep-11 18:08:56

You don't have to buy them if you don't want to. Hospitals generally have loads of little baby clothes and like someone else said they're usually just in nappies at that weight if they're in scbu. At least my local scbu has boxes and boxes of clothes, hats, etc.

TheVermiciousKnid Mon 19-Sep-11 18:09:34

I'm wondering if Morrisons sell tiny baby clothes...? hmm

Someonesnotinbed Mon 19-Sep-11 18:10:17

No doubt if tiny baby clothes were free in all shops we would see threads on here complaining that you don't get any loyalty points for them...

Feminine Mon 19-Sep-11 18:11:07

Is it possible that op is upset that stores/sellers are profiting from premature babies?

I think it comes from a good place ,but is unrealistic and impossible to put in to practice. smile As others have said,all folk in the chain need paying.

YABU ~ but I like (what I am guessing) is your sentiment!

SuePurblybilt Mon 19-Sep-11 18:11:08

Let's make everything free and just barter for goods, using our wits and charm as currency.
Good luck with that, OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now