My mother is a PITA

(16 Posts)
StrandedBear Mon 19-Sep-11 16:50:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StrandedBear Mon 19-Sep-11 16:50:19

Ormirian Mon 19-Sep-11 16:52:12

Ahem.

Yes yabu. Those all sound like annoyances than real grievances. She'll calm down a bit after a while.

SwingingBetty Mon 19-Sep-11 16:53:06

she speaks highly of you

squeakytoy Mon 19-Sep-11 16:54:08

YABU.. chill out and relax, grans are meant to fuss and worry, that is their job.

NeedaCostume Mon 19-Sep-11 16:54:58

Sounds like she is really getting on your nerves. Can you spend a bit less time with her?

fedupofnamechanging Mon 19-Sep-11 16:56:24

The name thing would bug me tbh. You spend months choosing a name you like for your baby, then other people feel they have right to ignore your choice. I think you have to tell her just how much that bugs you.

I think you need to tell your mum to give the baby some space and that she doesn't like people being too close to her face.

The next step is to not see her too often.

StrandedBear Mon 19-Sep-11 16:57:51

HMTheQueen Mon 19-Sep-11 17:51:45

If it's any consolation, my MIL was the same. She would hold DS for 20 minutes and then when she needed to make tea/go to the loo/go for a fag, she'd hand him back and say "Now, will you be alright by yourself for 5 minutes?"

Hmmm... let me think, shall I cope with my child that I have looked after since he was born?

I have no way of counteracting, except using sarcasm. My most effective answer was always something like "Yes... I think I can manage" in the most sarcastic voice ever. That or reminding her that I'm a grown-up. grin

mellymooks Mon 19-Sep-11 18:11:15

YANBU I totally know what you mean, the same thing happens all the time with my Mum, and lets face it, if it was anyone else it probably wouldn't grate as much, but your Mum, well they just get under your skin more than anyone, you have my total understanding!! Count to 100 hundred breathe breathe swallow the urge to scream your head off at her and carry on, repeat as often as needed grin

mynewpassion Mon 19-Sep-11 18:18:11

You don't see her often, ergo, she doesn't see her granddaughter often. She is just a little overprotective because she loves you and your dd.

Chill out.

NeedaCostume Mon 19-Sep-11 18:24:06

Well, as someone who also has a Mum who is a PITA, I sympathise heartily. Maybe you just needed to rant on here.
Or maybe you do need to say something next time, if you think that would make a different (my mum just gets huffily offended).

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 19-Sep-11 18:36:22

my mum always ask if i have packed nappies, change of clothes ect for DD ( in her devence i normally forget something when going out and end up buying more nappies ect)

nilequeen Mon 19-Sep-11 19:02:38

YANBU.

Sounds exactly like my MIL! She'd make my DD cry then say "Oh, what's the matter?" I wanted to shout "YOU!" Every time my DD got cranky and tired she saw it as an excuse to up the anti and start clapping and singing in her face, which only got her more grumpy. Then every time I got her settled..."Come to Granny" and she'd start wailing again.

My mum was wonderful when I had my first LO, but a few years down the line and another bambino and she's turning out like my MIL. Now I have two psycho grans to contend with.

My tip is that every time she says something that annoys you, address it straight away rather than silently seethe.

wicketkeeper Mon 19-Sep-11 19:31:42

And if you give a child a name that can be shortened, people will shorten it. I think that's nice. Both my kids had 'family names' that only people in the family called them. Can't see the problem there.

StrandedBear Mon 19-Sep-11 19:34:36

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now