Talk

Advanced search

to think my mum needs somrthing for her nerves

(4 Posts)
susiesmith Sun 18-Sep-11 21:14:16

My mum has parkinsons and my dad has cared for her for 20 years. She recently went into hospital and was in 6 weeks during which time she went worse. The hospital refused to let her out without a 'care package' coz my dad was clearly not coping (he has his own health issues and is 77).

Anyway my mum has been out 3 days and is making the most unholy scene about the whole situation. She hates the carers coming into her. She is making huge fuss about everything and is very tearful. She is shouting at my dad and I all the time and demanding he does things for her that he is just not capable of doing. She is almost hysterical. She was ranting about only having 2 clean nighties this afternoon and my dh said it is almost as if she needs a slap to wake her up to how unreasonable and ridiculous she is being. We all appreciate how difficult it is for her but she is being really hard to be around.

She does take a low dose anti depressant but i am thinking of calling the doctor tomorrow to see if he can give her something to calm her down. Do you think I am being unreasonable?

cheesesarnie Sun 18-Sep-11 21:17:11

i think it would be perfectly reasonable to discuss options with the gp.

Littlefish Sun 18-Sep-11 21:18:03

I don't think you're being unreasonable to speak to the GP and express your concerns about the way that she is behaving, and your father's ability to cope.

However, I don't think you need to request something to calm her down. Let the GP make the decisions about her care.

squeakytoy Sun 18-Sep-11 21:18:11

You are not being unreasonable, but neither is your mum. It must be very difficult for all of you, and hopefully the doctor may be able to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now