Talk

Advanced search

to think the school was wrong, and friend should take it further?

(125 Posts)
altinkum Sun 18-Sep-11 19:51:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pseudonym99 Sun 18-Sep-11 19:52:48

Tell her to ring the police and get the teacher arrested. If a parent did this, thats what would happen.

TidyDancer Sun 18-Sep-11 19:54:44

I think I would complain. You have to make some allowances with children of that age, and a decent compromise would've been allowing the child to wear her trousers. I would raise the point with the head for some clarity mainly, as there will be other incidences where this happens throughout the year.

thisisyesterday Sun 18-Sep-11 19:55:05

personally i'd have no problem with my child doing PE in his/her pants.

however, if trousers were available then of course she should have been allowed to wear them, it's totally unacceptable to make her do it in her underwear if there was something she could wear.

the builder thing? load of tosh. presumably her kid is allowed to wear a swimsuit on the beach? nuff said.

she should however, speak to the head teacher and point out what has happened, and i would expect an apology from HT and the class teacher over it

ragged Sun 18-Sep-11 19:55:07

She should definitely complain, that is absurd; I'd go thru all the formal channels with this complaint, too (ie, raise it with governors if no joy with the HT). How old was the child?

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Sun 18-Sep-11 19:55:36

Why do some people act like this? Would it not have been better to just say "Ok, you can wear them today but ask mum to get you the right ones..." if it's THAT big a deal. I would NEVER make a child do PE in their knickers - builders or not!
It doesn't matter one jot to the little girl if the builders are all CRB checked - doesn't change the fact theyre still wandering in and out when she's feeling exposed. What an idiot teacher.

IrmaMuthafucker Sun 18-Sep-11 19:55:53

Tbh I would not be mentioning anything about builders and CRBs. I think it confuses the issue.

I would be concerned at the deliberate humiliation and if the teacher can't see why that is wrong. A small child in Y1 is not responsible for choosing and buying uniform. That is the parent's job and it is very wrong to punish a child for a parent's mistake.

After that conversation with teacher I'd be having a chat with the head.

DownbytheRiverside Sun 18-Sep-11 19:56:00

I would take it up with the head and discuss what the agreed policy is in this situation. Because there should be one. A written one.
Making any child do PE in their underwear is usually no longer acceptable practice. When is the cut off point then? Y3? Y6?
She had something appropriate to change into, she should have been allowed to change.

CrackerFactory Sun 18-Sep-11 19:56:17

Absolutely complain, I don't think this teacher's behaviour should go unchallenged. Poor kid sad

VivaLeBeaver Sun 18-Sep-11 19:56:51

Teacher sounds like an arse. Like you say there is no reason she couldn't have done pe in her trousers. Would I complain to the head.......not sure. Part of me thinks I should but then I'd also think well what's the point? If the mum has now bought the shorts it's not going to be an ongoing issue so won't change anything.

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Sun 18-Sep-11 19:57:55

I see your point thisisyesterday, but on the beach MOST people are in skimpy clothes - in this situation the girl was (presumably) the only one with pants on as opposed to long trousers. I know some kids don't mind this kind of thing, but I had to do PE in pants once when I was a kid and still remember being mortified.

nokissymum Sun 18-Sep-11 19:57:58

I used to do p.e in my knickers but that was yonks ago! I am very shocked that this can actually happen today, your poor daughter having to be laughed at by other children whilst in her undwear! That will go on till she leaves.

I would definitely take it further by writting a strong letter to the head and copy the education council into, AND demand to know what they are going to do about it. I wouldnt make the builders being present as my focal point but more the inappropriateness and embarrassment caused.

I always like to support teachers as most times its the parents being silly but this is ridiculous.

slavetofilofax Sun 18-Sep-11 19:58:30

I would complain formally to the head teacher, and the LEA.

The sort of person who would allow a child to feel humiliated because of a parents mistake should not be looking after children, let alone teaching them.

yellowsubmarine41 Sun 18-Sep-11 19:59:04

She is Y1, so 5 year old. This is awful - some bizarre kind of power kick, it sounds like.

I would definitely speak to the teacher and advise her that I will go through formal channels of complaint, and do so. Her parent/carer made an innocent (and understandable) and hardly catastrophic mistake with her uniform - why on earth should she be humiliated like that?

peterpan99 Sun 18-Sep-11 20:00:43

def complain its probably scared this little girl for life! she may be taunted and mocked by the other children now because of it. It was totally unneccessary to embarrass her like this and the teacher should be ashamed of themselves

thisisyesterday Sun 18-Sep-11 20:01:35

butwhy... yes, i get that. the point i was making was really about the builders being present. if a child can wear a swimsuit on the beach and be seen by prett ymuch anyone then i fail to see the problem with people seeing them in pants... i am saying this simply from the "paedo alert" viewpoint

i absolutely agree that the child shouldn't have been made to do it in her underwear and have been made to feel vulnerable and embarassed, that's totally unacceptable and THAT is what the complaint should be about

i just think that if they go in talking about the builders seeing her in underwear and potential issues with CRB's and paedophiles it'll just turn bad very quickly!

lydiamama Sun 18-Sep-11 20:01:47

I would defenitively complain about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The girl was obviously upset, and that is what matters, no way should she be forced to strip to her underwear, it would have been better for her not to do PE. I would make a serious serious complaint.

NinkyNonker Sun 18-Sep-11 20:01:51

Who does that to a 5 yr old, blimey. Definitely complain.

TheFlyingOnion Sun 18-Sep-11 20:01:56

not acceptable to punish a Y1 child for the fact that his/her PARENT forgot the correct PE uniform.

I would be too aggressive about it, but I would complain, in case it happens again.

If my Y2s forget their kit, they do it in uniform, as far as possible. No biggie, as far as I can see...

olddog Sun 18-Sep-11 20:02:15

I did PE in pants in reception, everybody did, and it wasn't a problem but then the school policy changed and we had a PE kit and I can still remember the humiliation of doing PE in pants and vest when I didn't have my kit. I was in Y2 with a horrible teacher. Its just different from being on a beach in a swimming costume or being in pants and vest when everyone else is too.

TheFlyingOnion Sun 18-Sep-11 20:02:21

sorry I wouldn't be too aggressive about it!! blush

BarbaraWoodlouse Sun 18-Sep-11 20:02:37

I would agree that making the child do PE in pants when there were perfectly good sports trousers in her bag was very much about humiliation - though I'm not talking scarring for life (especially in Yr1) - but teacher was obviously trying to Make A Point.

I agree that a word with the HT would be appropriate. But please don't mention peadophiles/CRB etc or she will sound like a crazed loon confuse the matter.

AuntieMaggie Sun 18-Sep-11 20:02:40

Yes complain - its not the childs bloody fault she didn't have shorts! FFS what was the teacher thinking punishing a child like that?!

thirtysomething Sun 18-Sep-11 20:05:20

If this is a state school then presumably they aren't legally allowed to enforce uniform codes at primary level (or so I once heard from my DCs' infant headteacher).

Therefore aside from the risks of humiliation and damage to self-esteem that wearing knickers will have carried, I don't think the teacher is actually allowed to enforce the short vs trousers issues.

Sure, it may be preferable from the school's point of view to have all the kids wearing the same things but I don't think they are allowed to be this strict under the law?

ChippingIn Sun 18-Sep-11 20:08:26

I would complain as the child was upset by it. If she hadn't been I wouldn't.

She could have done it in her 'now not regulation' sport trousers and at 5, they can do it in their uniform if they've forgotten their kit. It's hardly the end of the world. They get more hot & sweaty at lunchtime than at PE FGS.

At our school the reception kids are still doing PE in their uniforms as the thought of 'assisting' 30 4 year olds to get changed it clearly too daunting grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now