Talk

Advanced search

to think that if dh finds food bland it's his problem?

(61 Posts)
Honeydragon Sun 18-Sep-11 18:35:50

A minor grump,if I may?

Every so often I will do something new. The dc's and I all find it tasty, I find it tasty. It's normally a recipe recommended to me by family, friends or Mnetters that they have found tasty.

Dh will eat till he's full, then say not to do it again as it was bland.

Tonights offering was a mild but very tasty curry from Mnet, I tried it, and liked it. Dh said it had hardly any flavour.

He's not rude or horrible, just insistent that he is correct and we are all abnormal in some way hmm. He also does it in restaurants, I will try his meal and it's fine.

AIBU to think that as Dh smokes over 20 cigarettes a day I can disregard his opinion on the subject?

Dh INSISTS that smoking does not impair your sense of taste and this is a myth.

AIBU or is dh?

<disclaimer: he tried to redeem himself by pointing out he likes my normal curry. Well that one he can tasted as it has 14 different spices and half a tonne of chillies in it!>

FetchezLaVache Sun 18-Sep-11 18:38:19

Next time make a curry for him with 4 tonnes of chillies in it and a normal one for yourself and the kids. Let's see if he finds that bland!

Yes, just disregard and ignore.

SinicalSal Sun 18-Sep-11 18:38:36

Chilli flakes on table.

And your 'yes, dear' face on. if someone cooks your dinner you should be grateful!

RandomMess Sun 18-Sep-11 18:39:06

yes it's him, tell him he needs to add his own chillies to everything or give up smoking his choice.

Vallhala Sun 18-Sep-11 18:39:09

You are only reasonable if you have told him that, considering he regularly complains about the food that you cook, he must cook in future.

And more fool you if you haven't! You say that he's not being rude but I think it's very rude to criticise the food which someone else has prepared and cooked. The bugger would go hungry in future if he were my DH! grin

altinkum Sun 18-Sep-11 18:40:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SkipToTheEnd Sun 18-Sep-11 18:41:38

Yep - give him some hot sauce and tell him majority rules and the cook gets two votes.

Chandon Sun 18-Sep-11 18:42:44

F$ck me, I would not cook at all, ever, for someone saying "don't cook that again".

Are we yet again in some 1950s time warp to Stepford?

Does he then belch loudly, tell you to bring him his slippers, and sit and watch TV while you do the dishes, interupted every now and then by demands for beer??????!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't put up with it, why why WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY

MrsHuxtable Sun 18-Sep-11 18:43:36

It's the smoking. Get him to add his own chilli flakes. If he was to cook, the rest of the family couldn't eat it anymore because of all the spicyness.

notherdaynotherdollar Sun 18-Sep-11 18:43:48

my motto is, if you dont like it, do it yourself, ... dear smile

susiedaisy Sun 18-Sep-11 18:44:05

of course smoking dulls your taste buds that has been known about for yonks, also so does certain medicines, such as some anti depressants and beta blockers for example, just seperate his curry next time and add more curry poweder salt ands pepper, my grandmother had to do that for my granddad who was a heavy smoker and couldnt taste a damn thing, he also had 3 sugars in his tea, ate smoked bacon and added saltshock, when he quit all that changed, and he realised how much the fags had dulled his taste buds, old age does the same by the way!

Honeydragon Sun 18-Sep-11 18:46:11

Val

I do tell him to cater for himself, he slopes of to Tesco and bys Tex Mex ready meals grin if I'm doing something he has previously dissed but we like.

I went through a phase of throwing the food in the bin and sulking but I now I think if the rest of us enjoy it, and it's not a dish he actively dislikes than tough bananas.

Thought I'd better check I wasn't being me and should make more effort to accommodate his ravaged tastebuds grin

ChippingIn Sun 18-Sep-11 18:46:39

I'd just tell him until he stops smoking I'm not actually interested in his opinion smile He can eat it or he can make his own <shrug>

Cymar Sun 18-Sep-11 18:48:23

As an ex-smoker, I can 100% verify that smoking can and will dull the tastebuds. I smoked about 20-30 a day and could taste only a small amount of flavour. BUT when I gave up, flavours were far more intense than when I smoked. So OP, you can tell your DH this comes from an ex smoker who has had the pleasure of being able to taste properly again after giving up.

Bunbaker Sun 18-Sep-11 18:50:15

I would separate his food and add loads and loads of tabasco sauce to his portiongrin

An0therName Sun 18-Sep-11 18:51:16

my DH adds chilli sauce to some of the food I cook as me and the DCs don't like it as hot - but smoking can make a big difference

AnyoneButLulu Sun 18-Sep-11 18:52:58

Get him a bottle of Encona Hot Chilli Sauce and carry on as usual. I would say that he should do his fair share of the family cooking, but I'm not actually sure I'd want to be cooked for by a man with no taste-buds.

LineRunner Sun 18-Sep-11 19:00:14

He is being rude.

It would be fine if he put in a special request once in a while; but he's being very uncouth.

I agree with giving him a bottle of hot sauce. But he shouldn't be so 'bland' with you.

eurochick Sun 18-Sep-11 19:01:27

Of course smoking affects taste.

I second the suggestion to add loads of extra chilli to his portion next time.

YANBU. He should quit smoking and then he would have normal taste buds.

SuePurblybilt Sun 18-Sep-11 19:10:57

How will he ever know if it's a myth until he gives up?

Honeydragon Sun 18-Sep-11 19:11:56

Lulu that's exactly why I prefer to cook wink

I do second guess myself, he was a smoker when we met, and yes I do resent the cost and the health implications, but only to myself. I am well aware that it is an addiction and only he can choose to stop.

But I do get annoyed that he harps on about it not affecting him in any way. Yes it's denial, and probably guilt. But no one has asked him to quit hmm

I am liking the Tabasco idea. Except he insists he doesn't like it or garlic.

He eats garlic most days, the only times he complains food is too garlicy is if he has witnessed me cooking with it. I think he knows I am on to him and his missing sense of taste and trying to make a point.... But I'm on to him. grin

Honeydragon Sun 18-Sep-11 19:16:39

Ok it is rude yes, but ge genuinely believes he us being helpful.

I have no issue when he says he doesn't like something, or anyone. It's delusion that drives me nuts!

I have told him off btw and pointed out what the ingredients were, therefore it couldn't really be flavourless.

I do like being told I'm reasonable though smile

OddBoots Sun 18-Sep-11 19:25:07

I think I would pack him off to the GP to see if the GP can help him work out why he isn't tasting things.

ChablisLover Sun 18-Sep-11 19:49:56

Is his problem. If he diesn't like it he can do it himself but the smoking prob has a lot to do with it. His tastebuds aren't operating right

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now