Talk

Advanced search

To think that my 6yo dd is old enough to learn to wash her hair

(25 Posts)
WoodBetweenTheWorlds Sun 18-Sep-11 18:15:54

with supervision?

DH thinks she is too young and that I am being lazy. I think it is a life skill that she'll have to learn sometime!

Portofino Sun 18-Sep-11 18:17:30

I have a 7 yo - she can wash it herself, but needs to be watched to make sure it gets rinsed out properly in the shower. Otherwise I leave her to it.

Nanny0gg Sun 18-Sep-11 18:17:52

I think she can 'help' - you put the shampoo on and she can rub it in.
But it'll be quite a while before she can really do it on her own - unless you like your bathroom to look like a swamp.

Catslikehats Sun 18-Sep-11 18:18:07

My DD is 6 and can wash her hair because I am lazy-- grin

She sometimes struggles a bit with rinsing all the conditioner out, but mostly only when she has used half a bottle!

kakapo Sun 18-Sep-11 18:19:00

I don't see why she couldn't start to learn, with supervision. Maybe get her some goggles for the first few months.

And if your DH thinks it's lazy, tell him he is welcome to wash it wink

Spero Sun 18-Sep-11 18:19:57

I sit in the bathroom while she showers. Sometimes needs a little prompting, but she seems to manage ok. I agree with you, at 6 I think most children are capable of doing quite a lot, albeit with some supervision.

Hulababy Sun 18-Sep-11 18:20:25

Is she trying to do it in the shower or bath?

In the shower - it is easy, no worries with trying to rinse.

In the bath is way harder though, even now I help 9y give it a final rinse through as rinsing in a bath is a real pain.

At DD's school they do a 3 day residential in Y3, so the girls are from age 7y and they are expected to shower and wash their hair whilst away, and obviously don't get teacher help with this. So yes, I would start getting her involved from now.

giraffesCantChaChaCha Sun 18-Sep-11 18:20:44

yanbu 3yr old here does her own, sometimes needs reminded ot get a few bubbles out at front but thats all.

WoodBetweenTheWorlds Sun 18-Sep-11 18:22:15

Ooh, goggles are a good idea.grin

To be fair to DH, he does do it sometime but he is currently doing pointless manwork essential maintenance jobs in the garden.

Advice about rinsing out (and rationing) the conditioner noted.smile

going Sun 18-Sep-11 18:25:18

My 7 year old dd washes her hair beautifully, her 9 year old sister never rinses properly!

WoodBetweenTheWorlds Sun 18-Sep-11 18:26:33

She is in the bath (currently just playing smile ) but will rinse with the shower. Good point re school trips etc. I also want her to be able to wash it herself after swimming.

Giraffe - I am very impressed that your 3yo can manage by herself. you are obviously even lazier than me grin

AbigailS Sun 18-Sep-11 18:27:41

Mine is starting to learn and with supervision with rinsing is doing quite a good job. But it does depend on the length and thickness of her hair. My god daughter has a mane of very long, thick and curly hair envy but it's a nightmare to wash, rinse and comb through, so at 9 she still needs help.

WoodBetweenTheWorlds Sun 18-Sep-11 18:30:03

Another one with long, thick curly hair. Still, worth a try!

AnyoneButLulu Sun 18-Sep-11 18:39:18

YANBU, my DM always did it for me with the inevitable result that I had a major crisis when I went away from home aged 8 and had to do it myself.

ChippingIn Sun 18-Sep-11 18:42:52

Of course she's old enough to start washing her own hair! Does DH think she'll be able to magically do it at a certain age grin

WoodBetweenTheWorlds Sun 18-Sep-11 18:49:52

Chipping, I don't think it has ever occurred to DH that dd might actually grow up one day. grin

I will show him this thread to prove that I'm not just a lazy arse!

KurriKurri Sun 18-Sep-11 19:08:55

When I met DH, he was 20yrs old and his mummy still washed his hair for him.
How I laughed hmm

So yes, teach children to be independent as soon as you can, children are capable of a lot more than we give them credit for.

ladyasriel Sun 18-Sep-11 19:10:56

DD does after swimming under the shower (conditioner too) but at home in the bath I do it. She is 5.

WoodBetweenTheWorlds Sun 18-Sep-11 19:13:24

Thanks all. Just to report back - she did a fabulous job! smile

zazizoma Sun 18-Sep-11 19:16:03

DD here age 3 washes own hair in both bath and shower, though I usually check for thoroughness. You are not being lazy, simply encouraging your children to become independent. Bet it wouldn't be an issue with your DH if DD was a DS!

mummyzoe2012 Sun 18-Sep-11 20:09:17

my dsil still has her mother wash her hair and brush her hair and she is 31!! my dd( due jan) will be taught from about 4 1/2 years how to wash her hair but i would still help her with it! i was about 8 when i did it all by my self

TheOriginalNutcracker Sun 18-Sep-11 20:10:56

I still do ds's and he is 8, but we don't have a shower so rinsing can be a pain.

Have only just stopped helping 11yr old dd too because her hair is realy long and she doesn't rinse properly.

If we had a shower they'd have been doing themselves a while ago.

Bonsoir Sun 18-Sep-11 20:11:30

Yes, of course!

lydiamama Sun 18-Sep-11 20:12:14

I completely agree with previous posters, with supervision she should be fine, and happy to be given more responsabilities

Bonsoir Sun 18-Sep-11 20:22:43

My DD is going on a five-night school trip later this year so we have been practising getting her own hair washed and dried to perfection smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now