Talk

Advanced search

What is reasonable RE loud music?

(9 Posts)
amIbeingdaft Sun 18-Sep-11 15:31:19

My neighbours are clearly setting up for a party tonight, and I'm concerned. They have parties every couple of months...they are always in the garden, always very loud (Amp rather than normal stereo) and always late. By late I mean they tend to turn off the music around 1 but keep talking loudly in the garden/ coming and going until about 4am.

This is the first time they have done this on a 'school night' though...they are always on Friday/Saturday nights. I have always been reasonable before...even when I've sat here with a crying baby, I've told myself it's not too often and we have the weekend to recover.

DH says if they're too loud we should call the police...but I don't think the police would intervene before about 11, and by then my kids are already going to be knackered for school tomorrow.
They're not very nice/easy to talk to, we've had problems with them in the past.
I really don't know what to do about this...if anything.

AIBU or are they?

belledechocchipcookie Sun 18-Sep-11 15:34:22

They are being incredibly selfish. I'd call the police (community support officer maybe?) if it's too loud or environmental health if there's an out of hours service.

LeBOF Sun 18-Sep-11 15:35:33

I like Lord Of The Dance, but at a push, Colours Of Day works well.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 18-Sep-11 15:36:10

YANBU to be concerned. Sunday night is a really thoughtless day to have a loud party. Most people have to get up for work or school the next day. The police are unlikely to intervene, you're right. Instead why not have a word with them in advance and ask politely if they'll keep it down after, say, 11pm? At least if they know how you feel in advance, they've no excuse.

Nanny0gg Sun 18-Sep-11 15:36:26

We have this issue.
Complain, complain and complain again.
And get your other neighbours involved.
Look for the Environmental health number.

notherdaynotherdollar Sun 18-Sep-11 15:39:22

if it disturbs others, its too loud

Tortington Sun 18-Sep-11 15:41:13

for you direct gov

amIbeingdaft Sun 18-Sep-11 15:44:21

Thanks for the replies folks....especially LeBof....grin

I really hate the idea of calling the police....we've had a 'fued' with these neighbours before and it was unbearable. I don't think I'd be half as stressed out if they were reasonable people...the problem is I know even knocking on their door for a polite chat would stress me out, so I'm sitting here all worked up, and will probably remain so for the rest of the day sad

nomoreheels Sun 18-Sep-11 15:55:40

I have had police come out for parties where the noise was excessive outside after 11 pm. It does vary depending on what the police have on, but it's worth a try. I know this doesn't help your pre 11 pm worries though. Also do check if your environmental health has an out of hours number.

Do they rent, and do you know who the landlord is? Or if your council has an anti-social behaviour team? You could make a complaint that way, although that's normally for regular occurrences. Trust me, I know it's still bloody annoying & stressful even if it's every month or two! I need my sleep & don't believe music should be loud late at night - so loud that I can hear it clearly with closed double glazed windows... we never do that. I used to love clubbing before DD, but loud amplified music isn't very neighbourly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now