Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to leave the washing out?

(19 Posts)
whackamole Sun 18-Sep-11 13:44:23

Or just an unbelievable slattern? Had a very brief downpour (must have been very light as I didn't hear it with the back door open and the washing I put out about an hour ago is till there.

Should I just leave it? Please don't tell me to bring it in and wash it again, this will be the THIRD time as OH put it in then didn't get it out for 2 days hmm

Come on, give me permission!

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 18-Sep-11 13:45:26

Leave it. Rainwater's pretty clean stuff and if it was just a light shower, the clothes won't have got any wetter particularly

peterpan99 Sun 18-Sep-11 13:45:38

i leave mine out overnight if i cant be bothered to bring it in so by my standards its totally fine!grin

bamboobutton Sun 18-Sep-11 13:47:20

i leave mine out, sometimes for days if we keep having sporadic showers.

rainwater is natures fabric conditioner.

stickwithit Sun 18-Sep-11 13:47:52

Totally fine by my standards too.

Mitmoo Sun 18-Sep-11 13:49:23

I hate playing the put it out, get it back in again, put it out, get it back in again game.

It's fine with me.

whackamole Sun 18-Sep-11 13:53:48

Thank god, MN has spoken and I am officially A Good Housewife.

Now I should just get off my arse and do some tidying then I will be positively saintly.

Meglet Sun 18-Sep-11 13:56:09

yanbu. I leave mine out in the rain, snow and over-night. Nothing bad has ever happened to it.

Leaving it on the line to dry means it doesn't need ironing and doesn't clutter up the radiators.

picnicbasketcase Sun 18-Sep-11 13:59:53

Should be fine if it was only a little bit of rain. However, once I did that and when it was dry it all smelled like onions. No idea why.

puzzlesum Sun 18-Sep-11 14:00:46

I leave mine out over night as well, but I am almost certainly the least competent housewife and mother in my area (took Waitrose buns to the cake sale at school on Friday - and not even decanted into tupperware to make it look like I might have baked them).

The only thing I've brought back in is uniform - everything else can hang there til it's dry, frankly.

catgirl1976 Sun 18-Sep-11 16:35:11

I leave it out. Sometimes for more than one "drenching" from the rain

PeneloPeePitstop Sun 18-Sep-11 16:36:52

Nah. Leave it. It's just had an extra rinse grin

sparkle12mar08 Sun 18-Sep-11 16:55:12

Until you reach the point where it's been out on the line for five months, yes, five months, you will not beat the record I know of. It wasn't me but a good friend with a 130ft garden who simply left it out from November to mid March as she just couldn't face bringing it back in and trying to wash it over winter...

alarkaspree Sun 18-Sep-11 17:00:54

Sparkle when I was a student I lived in a shared house with a very small concreted back yard. No reason to go out there so in winter I left my washing hanging outside for at least several weeks. I had no idea it was there and was mystified about the disappearance of a large chunk of my wardrobe.

troisgarcons Sun 18-Sep-11 17:02:16

I leave mine out.

Cant say I've left it out 5 month - but its certainly been out for 2-3 days before.

QueenStromba Sun 18-Sep-11 17:38:22

picnicbasketcase: It was probably a bit of acid rain, it's sulphites in the onions that give them their smell. Other than that though, I see no reason why you would wash clothes again after they'd been rained on a tiny bit.

Tewkespeggy Sun 18-Sep-11 17:40:08

if you leave it out too long and it goes stiff... stick it in the tumble drier for 10 mins.... sorted!

ArmageddonOuttahere Sun 18-Sep-11 17:42:42

Unless it results in that boak-worthy damp smell, I see no advantage in playing the unpegging game. Leave it. You would be unreasonable to waste any more water and energy washing it again.

<uses eco defence for slattern-dom>

LifeOfKate Sun 18-Sep-11 21:29:09

DH was in the bath earlier and shouted down the stairs that it was raining, so I should bring the washing in. I left it out. Last time I got washing in when it was raining, I ended up drenched to the skin and had to get changed, and the washing was wetter than when I had hung it out hmm. So this time I have left it out and it is still there (although I have checked the weather forecast that it is going to be sunny tomorrow morning smile). So definitely acceptable to leave it out smile DH is a bit hmm, but is unprepared to do it himself (and knows that I would put it in the tumble drier, which he hates as he's a cheapskate), so won't complain directly grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now