Talk

Advanced search

To expect people to arrive when they say they will

(22 Posts)
catgirl1976 Sun 18-Sep-11 12:29:03

I know AIBU but I am 32 weeks pregnant and I just want to vent. Had babayshower yesterday at my house, thrown by bf. Was really lovely and I felt very loved and spoilt. However also found it v tiring. Didn't sleep much last night despite being exhausted - was up at 5am - dozed a bit round 7ish.

This morning my parents have phoned to say they are dropping round to pick some stuff up and a friend has phoned to say she is dropping something off. Both phoned just after 10am. Both said would be round in about 30 mins or so. Got showered, dressed, did make up and tidied round a bit. House covered in baby confetti, balloons etc plus remains of 30 females having party and buffett so a lot to do.

Is now 2.5 hours later and no one has been. I really really want to go back to bed for a nap but I can't as I am expecting people to drop round any minute. I am exhausted. I have got a load of work to do this afternoon in prep for meetings on Monday and a full week of hard work to do at work as well as needing to hoover do laundry and pop out to buy magnetic whiteboards for meeting prep.

All I want to do is go back to bed for an hours nap but until people have been and gone I can't and if they dont come soon I won't have time

AIBU to just feel like crying? <pathetic needing hug ./ slap emocion>

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Sun 18-Sep-11 12:31:40

Just ring them and tell them your going out in 40 minutes so do they want to come now or rearrange for another day. Simples.

carocaro Sun 18-Sep-11 12:32:41

Just call them and ask they where they are as you have work to get on with and need a power nap.

They can't guess this. Just communicate! Oh and ask them to help tidy up too and I sure they will.

HeadfirstForHalos Sun 18-Sep-11 12:33:25

Just give them a ring/text and ask them what time they will be around as you are exhausted and don't know whether to go for a nap now or later.

catgirl1976 Sun 18-Sep-11 12:34:04

I'm sorry! Ringing them and saying where are you and putting a time limit on does seem rather obvious now..... I am so tired I can't think straight!

cookcleanerchaufferetc Sun 18-Sep-11 12:34:40

Send a text saying you had baby shower last night, have cleared up and are going to bed at 1pm so it is now or not today ..... Rather simple .... I wouldn't have waited over 2 hours if I was that desperate for a nap!

sobloodystupid Sun 18-Sep-11 12:38:59

Please,please ring them. It is much better to say you are going out (you can always change your mind, ahem) and are they coming or did they want to postpone? Very rude of them, as both invited themselves round. do it, it is better to ring than to be fuming if they do arrive very late or not at all

SmethwickBelle Sun 18-Sep-11 12:40:55

YANBU - I hate it when people say they'll arrive at X time and at the time in question I get a text saying they're just leaving. Argh!

catgirl1976 Sun 18-Sep-11 12:41:56

Have rung the parents and texted the friend. Sorry - I know I am being pathetic but I just had one of those moments where I felt really sorry for myself and incapable of sorting my own life out.

diddl Sun 18-Sep-11 12:45:58

What were there reasons for not coming round?

So two and a half hours later they hadn´t even left their houses to come to you?

That´s really rude imo.

catgirl1976 Sun 18-Sep-11 12:48:10

No reasons given - not heard anything. Parents will be here "soon" apparantly

Friend hasnt replied to text saying "can you let me know what time you will be round as I need to pop out ina bit".

sobloodystupid Sun 18-Sep-11 12:54:10

Oh, I'm afraid I would go to bed and deliberately ignore any phone calls, doorbells or texts. Honestly, I would. Have a nap, listen to your ipod, head off for a bath whatever. Am fuming for you (have my own experiences in this regard clearly lol)

catgirl1976 Sun 18-Sep-11 12:56:31

Thanks sbs am going to give it another 20 mins then text friend again saying sorry- had to go out, then switching off phone and climbing into bed!

BillComptonstrousers Sun 18-Sep-11 13:03:29

I've got two children coming over for a playdate at 12pm. They are both still not here, I feel your pain... I hate people being late,or not turning up!

diddl Sun 18-Sep-11 13:09:39

It just makes no sense to me that you phone someone to say you are going round-about to leave & then what-you don´t?

I´d be telling them not to bother tbh.

Have they decided to have lunch first?

It really is very odd!

Annpan88 Sun 18-Sep-11 13:25:27

Now you've text and rung your well within your rights to shut the door and curl up in bed. Yes it will be annoying for them when they make the journey and you don't awnser but not as annoying as waiting for them to show up has been for you.

Have a good sleep

peterpan99 Sun 18-Sep-11 13:31:00

ah i try to just let this sort of thing go. It is annoying but what can you do?
My friend said she was coming round at tea time the other day i imagined dhe would be here at about 6ish, she got here at 11:30!

mairyhinge Sun 18-Sep-11 15:14:44

I HATE HATE HATE it when people say they will be " there at 2!" and turn up whenever they bloody well like. It's very very rude and to me shows they think their time is far more important than yours.
I have a freind who said she would call for coffee, "ill be there in 10 minutes" 1 hour later, 1 fuckin hour later!!! I was FURIOUS.
She said her neighbour collared her as she left, so??? SO??? Tell neighbour, "sorry, can't chat I'm popping out" But NOOOOOOO. Neighbour is more impoprtant thn freind.
Fucker.
Can you see how angry I get at people who DO NOT TURN UP ON TIME?????

diddl Sun 18-Sep-11 15:20:37

"ah i try to just let this sort of thing go. It is annoying but what can you do?"

Tell them to come when they say or not bother.

Do they think that you have nothing better to do than wait around until they deign, or not to turn up?

HeadfirstForHalos Sun 18-Sep-11 15:22:27

I hope you managed to get some sleep catgirl.

You weren't being pathetic, you were tired and just wanted some sleep smile

catgirl1976 Sun 18-Sep-11 15:22:58

I am so glad other people can see my pov smile I thought I was being all unreasonable and pregnant.

In the end I switched the phone off had a lovely sleep smile

GnomeDePlume Sun 18-Sep-11 15:25:48

Mairy - totally reasonable (on your part that is).

OP YANBU

My relatives do this and it is downright rude. The annoying thing is that there is always a reason. Had to stop here first, had to do that first, just had to phone so and so first. The real truth is that right at that moment the person they were supposed to be visiting didnt matter a fig even though it was their son/daughter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now