Talk

Advanced search

To consider shopping a benefits fraud?

(130 Posts)
jekyllnothyde Sat 17-Sep-11 20:44:41

Spent day with a friend who has v good reason for being on incapacity benefit because of her condition. also single mum with two preschool DCs and is in process of being reassessed under new disability rules. She is worried sick but also thinking while her condition is life-limiting and not made any easier by stresses of DCs whether she can realistically think of attempting to work. I really feel for her.
Meanwhile friend's has got himself switched of JSA on to disability benefits but everyone knows he is basically capable of working. He does physical work doing up where he lives and also does sport and keeps himself busy generally. Today made me really angry as on one hand someone who needs support is really trying to think how to deal with her illness and wonders if with help she could mange something while this guy is basically taking the piss and doesn't support his DD at all except basic minimum from CSA. None of my business, or is it?

WreckaJones Sat 17-Sep-11 20:50:10

What evidence do you have to report? And on what basis are they claiming disability? From what I've read on here (no personal experience) it's hard to get onto disability benefits. I would report but I would have to be sure (as in someone boasting about it or hard facts) before I did. And yes, it is everyone's business especially when people like your other friend are suffering because there's not enough money to go round.

notherdaynotherdollar Sat 17-Sep-11 20:50:42

if i thought someone was fiddling, would shop them no question

Kayano Sat 17-Sep-11 20:51:40

I'm thinking of shopping someone too. Can even tell people where they are 'working' too, but I'm scared sad

slavetofilofax Sat 17-Sep-11 20:58:52

I'd shop him if I knew he was cheating, or even strongly suspected it. After all, if he is not cheating, there is nothing to lose.

But you should bear in mind that people can be signed of work and able to claim dla because of mental illness. If that's the case, then just because he can do physical work, doesn't mean he can mentally work.

afishcalledmummy Sat 17-Sep-11 20:59:12

He's the reason your friend has to jump through a million hoops to get her necessary benefits - if people didn't take the piss there wouldn't be such draconian rules coming into play!

I say shop him. I shopped my neighbour a couple of days ago after she told me she claims housing benefit for a house she rents out (she lives in her father's house). I don't feel bad in the slightest as she is stealing from the taxpayer! The whole process was anonymous - I wasn't asked for any of my details and took about 5 minutes. 5 well spent minutes imo.

mymummyisasquarehead Sat 17-Sep-11 20:59:16

Report him.

Now.

ilovesooty Sat 17-Sep-11 21:05:09

You can claim DLA if you're working. You are presumably talking about ESA, and unless you know his case inside out I'd mind your own business.

shesparkles Sat 17-Sep-11 21:08:47

YANBU if he's cheating, as afishcalledmummy says, if he's cheating, it's the likes of him who make it so hard for people like your friend.
I've shopped a cheat before, and it gave me great satisfaction to see the investigators basically staking out her house on the strength of the information I provided

jekyllnothyde Sat 17-Sep-11 21:09:05

I'm slightly worried too, which is why I asked. My friend says sadly that she doesn't just want to do nothing until her illness gets the better of her and says she wants to find out what happens if you do say you may be able to work with support, but then worries that she'll get put on JSA or whatever and will never find a job because of her condition plus having children which tires her any way - it's a progressive one. From what she says the test is scary. I honestly think this guy is a faker he seems happy not to do anything for his ex and has bragged to her that he doesn't have to try and do anything any more she'll never get anything more from him. He is lousy dad too, which is another reason to feel angry at him.

tarponsspringsiloveyou Sat 17-Sep-11 21:11:37

SHOP HIM!

ilovesooty Sat 17-Sep-11 21:12:24

Only 1 in 7 claimants are currently passing the medical first time. The Pathways to Work programme was put in place to enable people to work with support - they have a programme of engaged employers.

I don't think the fact that you consider him a lousy dad should enter into this, and as I said, unless you are certain of your facts I don't think you should report.

tarponsspringsiloveyou Sat 17-Sep-11 21:14:44

Sorry that posted before i was finished! It is damned hard to get DLA, Incapacity seems a bit easier but still if he isn't genuine do the right thing. Genuine claimants suffer enough without people like this making it even harder to get hold of the help sad

Triggles Sat 17-Sep-11 21:19:39

Ok, first of all, whether or not he is a lousy dad is irrelevant, unfortunately. Unless you know all the "ins" and "outs" of this guy's medical information that led to him receiving DLA, I'd advise butting out. DLA is not as easy to get as many people think. Our 5yo son qualifies for DLA, and the form nearly sent me around the bend - it took ages to fill out and we had to turn in masses of documentation from medical professionals as well. It's not just a matter of "switching" from JSA to DLA. Whether or not you "think he is a faker" isn't really relevant, as you are not a medical professional with all the details of his disability.

I would say you're letting your irritation and frustration over his behaviour and your friend's situation cloud the issue, IMO. Your friend, from what you said, is in the process of being assessed, so it's not like she's been refused assistance. As her friend, you'd be helping her a lot more by focusing on the positive, rather than judging others.

DrCoconut Sat 17-Sep-11 21:20:08

Just be careful you have your facts right. I was investigated over a benefits claim and I suspect some busy body shopped me. I got a visit from housing benefit which baffled me because I was (a) not claiming HB and (b) not committing any offence anyway, I had notified tax credits and the council for CT purposes of a change of circs. When it was checked out properly the benefits officer agreed that it had all been a big mistake, I still appeared on their system because I had in the past received HB and it was on that basis coupled with not having heard from me lately that they triggered a visit. confused. He would not confirm how my name came to their attention though so I can only assume it was nosy neighbours who noticed that I was a single mum and had met a man and assumed I was a benefits cheat.

jekyllnothyde Sat 17-Sep-11 21:22:31

Ok he is out and about. Have been painting outside of house this summer doing heavy gardening. He doesn't look depressed or ill in that sense. He plays tennis in the park pretty often. I reckon he is not working because he doesn't want to give his ex any more money. He has got very angry at her and I don't think he sees his DD very often and her mum does some childcare whlle she works. He has been very angry at her and threatened various things but that's not a mental health problem is it? He lives near me and I seem him around quite a lot. I don't talk to him, but do nod as I used to know him. I thought live and let live - not my business -and didn't think about that until seeing other friend today, which made me see her versus him.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Sat 17-Sep-11 21:22:48

Report him ... If it is true then the friend has got his just desserts and can be punished. If not true then he will be left alone. Sounds like he is playing the system. YANBU.

usualsuspect Sat 17-Sep-11 21:24:25

Mind your own business

nenevomito Sat 17-Sep-11 21:24:27

Of course you should. I've heard David C will personally come around and offer personal favours to anyone who does.

He's a bit vanilla, but very thorough.

usualsuspect Sat 17-Sep-11 21:26:37

Yes,you will also get a double page spread in the Daily Mail ,complete with a picture of you making the call

Triggles Sat 17-Sep-11 21:29:56

"doesn't look", "I reckon" "don't think" "see him around" "don't talk to him but do nod as I used to know him"

Yep. Full of facts. So you basically don't like him so you are assuming that he is doing something illegal. Charming.

Do you think that everyone that is on DLA should be unable to go anywhere or do anything? Do you think that people that are depressed or mentally ill walk around looking wild-eyed and crazy all the time? Are people with disabilities of any kind supposed to hole up in their houses and "act sick" so as not to offend the sensibilities of those who think they might actually be endeavoring to have a life? hmm

Mind your own business. It doesn't sound like you know anything, but are willing to believe anything.

jekyllnothyde Sat 17-Sep-11 21:31:26

I despise D Cameron and all his works and that is why I asked. If I was a Daily Mail reader I wouldn't even consider asking the question would I? Better to wave at him when I see him on the tennis courts or go up and ask how come you are not working at the moment?

YouWinOrYouDie Sat 17-Sep-11 21:31:39

babyheave shock

grin

whackamole Sat 17-Sep-11 21:35:49

I would. As others have said, it doesn't matter whether you are sure, he will be investigated and if he is not claiming wrongly then it won't make any difference.

I did it once, I can't say it felt amazing but once I'd done it I felt so much better. Like someone else up thread, this person was claiming HB for a property they were not living in, ditto council tax benefit.

Triggles Sat 17-Sep-11 21:39:02

whackamole - but surely when you reported that person, you had more to go on - like say perhaps they weren't physically living in said address?

the OP is basically saying "I can't SEE a disability, therefore there must not be one, therefore it must be fraud." Oh, and of course, she doesn't like him and says he's a crap dad, so obviously it's fraud. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now