Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

it should be illegal to sell childrens winter coats without reflecting stripes...

(97 Posts)
mousymouse Sat 17-Sep-11 20:44:33

tried to find a winter coat for ds that is both suitable for the damp cold weather as well as the school run in the dark.
no luck in the usual high street chain stores.
so irresponsible imo!
still looking...

ReadRideABikeSwim Sat 17-Sep-11 20:45:15

errrr confused

FermittheKrog Sat 17-Sep-11 20:45:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LindyHemming Sat 17-Sep-11 20:45:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LindyHemming Sat 17-Sep-11 20:47:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CrackerFactory Sat 17-Sep-11 20:47:31

Good idea, I wish the coats had them as well, both as a parent and a driver

worraliberty Sat 17-Sep-11 20:47:41

OMG so because you want to live in a Nanny state, my kids have to look like school crossing patrol people?

Nice!

thisisyesterday Sat 17-Sep-11 20:48:07

really? illegal?

don't think any of mine have ever had a coat with reflective stripes on, but then the eldest is only 6 so not out at night by himself i suppsoe

JaneFonda Sat 17-Sep-11 20:48:22

You can buy stick on reflective strips; I don't necessarily think it is an issue that needs legislation as most schools finish 3-3:30 ish, so even in the winter it's not dark then, although I suppose it does depend what time you leave in the morning.

A couple of stick on strips should do the trick, but you can also get some quite cool reflective keyring type things to hang off a school bag, which might be nice for DS.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 17-Sep-11 20:49:20

or.... you could buy some tape and sew it on yourself.

Kayano Sat 17-Sep-11 20:49:35

Wtf? No way. Maybe just teach the kids the highway code? Weird

LemonDifficult Sat 17-Sep-11 20:49:40

I'm going to ignore the illegal bit. But I agree with you that children's coats are so depressingly DARK. Could we not go for a reflective dinosaur/pony as a compromise?

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 17-Sep-11 20:49:57

(cripes I was a bit slow in my reply! x-post!)

Panzee Sat 17-Sep-11 20:50:40

Or some reflective slap bracelets.

Clayhead Sat 17-Sep-11 20:50:50

H&M do them - they do mail order now too. The coats are unisex, waterproof and windproof and have reflective bits, I've had several over the years for the DC and they last forever.

Here in larger sizes.

I've never struggled to get the dc to wear them!!

AuntieMonica Sat 17-Sep-11 20:51:18

YABU about the illegal bit, not all kids clothes have to be 'utility' but how about looking here for some add-ons?

pigletmania Sat 17-Sep-11 20:51:35

YABU, why not buy some and sew it or stick it on. Believe it or not, most of us never had coats with reflective stripes back in the day and we are fine. Its also about parents/carers taking resonsibility, and teaching kids to be safe when out and about.

maighdlin Sat 17-Sep-11 20:51:55

YABU it would ruin the look of so many coats. imagine a lovely woollen pink girls coat with horrible reflective stripes urgh!

reallytired Sat 17-Sep-11 20:52:17

lol.. Do we really need a fashion police

If it really bothers you can attempt to make your kids wear these,

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310195978574

Good luck though, I imagine your poor kids will remove them as soon as you are out of sight.

Problem solved

Tortington Sat 17-Sep-11 20:52:51

i bought some glow in the dark paint and painted 'kick me' on the back of the twins coats

to aid with the bullying

thisisyesterday Sat 17-Sep-11 20:55:48

jako-o usually have lots with reflective bits on. fab quality too

worraliberty Sat 17-Sep-11 20:56:32

Could we not go for a reflective dinosaur/pony as a compromise?

If I remember rightly there are more 12 to 16yr olds run over on the roads than younger ages.

I have visions of young teenagers being forced to wear reflective dinosaurs/ponies on their hoodies grin

mymummyisasquarehead Sat 17-Sep-11 20:58:02

Illegal?! What?!

Hang on whilst I pick myself up off the floor...............

Okay.

Sew some strips on, buy a vest, get a life etc.........

BikeRunSki Sat 17-Sep-11 20:59:34

Was about to mention H & M. Ds has a coat of theirs with a reflective dinosaur.

Wallace Sat 17-Sep-11 21:05:08

The schools round here provide reflective vests. It is really quite dark to and from school in the winter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now