Talk

Advanced search

to want to buy classic style clothing for teen girl

(28 Posts)
280169 Sat 17-Sep-11 17:02:07

I have spent the sfternooon searching the internet for something stylish for a 13 yr old girl to wear for a family occasion.She is a typical jeans and t shirt girl and usually goes for jonnie b style clothing.
She wants something she can wear again but smart enough for a family occasion.
I have tried white stuff (to plain or to flowery) seaslat fat face mantaray next debenhams.

Help any ideas.She is not into sterotypical fashion and hates flowers sparkles and pink.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 17-Sep-11 17:03:05

Try a department store like Debenhams or John Lewis. They usually have good sections for 'formal wear'... all ages.

usualsuspect Sat 17-Sep-11 17:04:48

New Look have some nice teenage dresses

LRDTheFeministDragon Sat 17-Sep-11 17:14:57

I have to say, all the brands you mention sound quite 'old' to me (except seaslat which I've never heard of), and I'm not a teenager (20s).

Maybe try somewhere like French Connection? Nice dresses this season, I think.

LRDTheFeministDragon Sat 17-Sep-11 17:16:06

Btw, I am as far as you get from thread police but in case you didn't know, there is a Style and Beauty section and they are the business - they would sort you out pronto. smile

borderslass Sat 17-Sep-11 17:17:18

Have you an independant clothes shop DD2 [15]gets some lovely stuff from them.

My 14 year old wouldn't wear anything from any of the places you've mentioned tbh. White Stuff, Mantary, Sea Salt all v 'middle aged' imho - even I wouldn't wear anything from there and I AM middle aged!

What sort of 'occasion' is it because that will make a difference as to the kind of thing she needs. H&M have occasionally decent bits, as do French Connection and Zara.

Topshop and Miss Selfridge worth a look too.

confusedpixie Sat 17-Sep-11 17:25:12

I'd ask if you were my Mum but I'm 22 grin

I love the brands you've mentioned. Try Joe Browns (online) if she likes those sorts of clothes, and if you have one, TK Maxx are great for brand names cheap smile

TrillianAstra Sat 17-Sep-11 17:27:00

Warehouse? Oasis?

I agree with LRD - Style & Beauty would sort you out.

Does the 13 year old girl in question not have an opinion on this?

HoneyPablo Sat 17-Sep-11 17:27:37

DD is 14- this is where she woud look-
New Look
H & M
TK Maxx
Primark
and the small independent shops

mrsshears Sat 17-Sep-11 17:27:47

Zara have some lovely things

hatebeingmummy Sat 17-Sep-11 17:29:05

I was going to say Zara too... fashionable but age appropriate.

squeakytoy Sat 17-Sep-11 17:30:18

Probably a lot easier to actually take her to real shops, where she can try things on, and pick something she likes, that fits, and suits her.

River Island, Top Shop, any high street place really, will have good choices now as the xmas season is not far away, so there will be decent dresses in stock.

paranoidandroidwreckmyownlife Sat 17-Sep-11 17:34:24

Zara, she could look in the adult and kids section. DD1 (17) regularly shops in both.

lurkerspeaks Sat 17-Sep-11 17:35:48

How big is she? I've been looking for an outfit to wear to a wedding and there are some nice jersey wrap dresses around that might look nice on a teenager for a formal ocassion with a little cardie and depending on her style maybe some ballet flats.

This is nice. Comes in a size 8 (only) and is £30. If you buy via quidco you get 12% back.

http://www.viyella.co.uk/fcp/product/viyella/Dresses/Jersey-Dress/843

Or what about Kew (also on quidco).
They have got masses of dresses.

http://www.kew159.com/fcp/categorylist/sale/dresses?resetFilters=true

NB: I don't work for Quidco. I"m just Scottish and like a bargain.....

borderslass Sat 17-Sep-11 17:38:35

Even ASDA do a teenage selection in George mine quite like it.

Bonsoir Sat 17-Sep-11 17:42:04

YAM, Bonpoint's teenage range, might provide inspiration even if you don't want to spend that much.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 17-Sep-11 17:45:44

YAB a little unreasonable. My DD would die if I tried to clothe her in anything from those shops and she's only 10. I think for a 13 year old it would be worse.

Tammy Girl?

www.bhs.co.uk/mall/departmentpage.cfm/bhsstore/218995/1/1

pootlebug Sat 17-Sep-11 17:47:32

I have no idea who Seaslat or Mantaray are. I thought Fatface/Whitestuff targeted 30-somethings. I'm 35 and wouldn't shop in Next as I think it's too frumpy.

I'm with the try Zara / Topshop / River Island etc suggestions

mamaGool Sat 17-Sep-11 18:15:24

If you do want to shop online, ASOS have a huge range & have a 20% off code ATM (HAPPYLFW)...
HTH

Ifancyashandy Sat 17-Sep-11 18:15:39

How much do you want to spend and what is the occasion? Is there a celeb who's style she likes / would wear to give us some direction?

ChrissasMissis Sat 17-Sep-11 20:20:07

Crew Clothing? Joules?

trixymalixy Sat 17-Sep-11 20:30:40

Oh God, I'm 35 and wouldn't be seen dead on anything from the shops you have mentioned!!! Totally frumpy!!

I agree with the others who have said new look, top shop and Zara.

280169 Sat 17-Sep-11 20:55:22

THANKYOU soooooooooooooo much can you believe I had never heard of Zara.... not a big shopper myself.We looked at the site and she loved it £250 later (wont be keeping it all) we had a basket full of shopping.

Thanks so much I knew you would know where to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now