Talk

Advanced search

To fall out over hanging some pictures

(13 Posts)
messybessie Sat 17-Sep-11 13:14:29

DH has stormed off. We have spent months and thousands of pounds renovating our lounge.

I have done all work (well, organising others) but we have contributed roughly half each.

All done, new carpet, curtains, furniture.

We have had blazing row over where to hang the pictures.

DH quite insistent what he wants where. I think it will look shit.

DH always hangs pictures too high imo so we always fall out.

He'll be back soon. Not sure how to restore peace.

I'm just cross as this should be the fun bit.

Realise in the grand scheme of things this isn't that big a deal wink

BarbaraWoodlouse Sat 17-Sep-11 13:19:01

DH and I once had a blazing row in B&Q about a wheelbarrow.

Not quite the nest building experience I'd planned TBH. (Do nests have gardens?)

Incidentally DH is also adamant that I hang pictures too low. But as I'm the one wielding the hammer I usually get to win (ie he can't quite be arsed to re-hang them once I've done it. I don't usually threaten him with the hammer). I reckon some of it's due to our respective heights.

TrillianAstra Sat 17-Sep-11 13:22:04

Yes, YAbothBU to have a massive row about this.

LeBOF Sat 17-Sep-11 13:26:05

Pictures should usually be about five feet from the floor in the centre, so that's roughly eye level. You shouldn't have to strain your neck to see them. I'm sure he's wrong <put that in your pipe and smoke it>

hevak Sat 17-Sep-11 13:27:39

My parents used to have arguments about where to hang paintings. Then they found an interior decorator they both liked and now SHE decides where the pictures are hung!

(Mum always usually gets the decorator in while Dad's at work and tells the decorator where she would like the pictures hung. If the decorator agrees then that's where the painting(s) go but usually the decorator has an idea neither of my parents thought of. Dad comes home from work and is happy the decorator has been and the paintings are no longer leaning against the walls!)

Glad it's not only my parents who argue about this! Luckily my DP knows that I rule on these things (so far....)

LeBOF Sat 17-Sep-11 13:28:29

Some useful tips here.

ConstanceNoring Sat 17-Sep-11 13:31:05

It was curtain poles for us, we'd just moved in and needed to do lots of work to the place so I didn't spend much time or money choosing because I thought they wouldn't be up for long. DH cursed me and them going up and has cursed them every time he has pulled/drawn the curtains since. The fact that they are still up ten years on is entirely his fault.

Just say 'come on we've both worked so hard on this, - we've got to be able to get this bit right for both of us haven't we?'

How you do that I don't know I'm afraid..

TrillianAstra Sat 17-Sep-11 13:32:36

Eye level for who, though?

What if you are 4ft11 and your DH is 6ft4? (aside from the other issues that might cause...)

LeBOF Sat 17-Sep-11 13:36:32

They usually say 60-65 inches, but it depends on the space, whether you are seated or standing mainly in the room etc.

SmethwickBelle Sat 17-Sep-11 13:48:48

Ha, this rings bells, I want things done perfectly (occasionally probably unrealistically so given our budget and limitation of the laws of physics) and he is a bodger pragmatist so DIY ALWAYS ends in arguments, even putting up a washing line in the garden resulted in a row as I wanted to drill a hole in the concrete post to attach a hook to loop the line on to, he wanted to just wrap it round the whole post and tie with a knot.

messybessie Sat 17-Sep-11 13:49:28

He has returned. We have called a truce. I think he has hung one of the pictures a bit too high but I might move when he goes back to work (string allows about another 3 inches) blush

messybessie Sat 17-Sep-11 13:53:11

First picture is exactly 5 ft off floor on centre wink

bucaneve Sat 17-Sep-11 15:03:14

Me and DP had quite a big row about net curtains once, what made it worse was that this was for a hypothetical 'in the future' house as we don't even live together grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now