Talk

Advanced search

to get a puppy now?

(150 Posts)
CoralRose Sat 17-Sep-11 13:11:45

This is our current situation:

Semi rural house. 3 bed. Large living space. Large garden, surrounded by fields.

One (very old, very placid) cat.

3 DC:
5yo DS - school full time.
2.6 DS - Nursery two mornings a week.
4mo DS - Errr...dribbles alot.

DH works full time, me not working for at least another 2 years, even then will be part time if at all.

So WIBU to get a puppy now? If I am... how long should we wait?

booyhoo Sat 17-Sep-11 13:16:16

i wouldn't with a toddler and a baby. puppies are literally like having another baby and they are constant. and i mean constant. you can't leave them in a room on their own, you cant nip from the living room to get the baby's bottle without either taking the puppy (and how do you taketh puppy and keep your hands clean to handle th bottle?) or crating it. every dropped dummy/blanket/teddy will be spirited away by puppy.

i just wouldn't t those ages and i am saying this as someone who DID do it with a 1 year old.

Mutt Sat 17-Sep-11 13:17:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CoralRose Sat 17-Sep-11 13:19:11

Never had a dog before, only cats.

We don't 'do' bottles so that won't be a problem grin.

squeakytoy Sat 17-Sep-11 13:19:28

I wouldnt, wait until your youngest is at least 3 or 4.

Puppies are hard work, need a lot of attention, and you already have your hands full with a baby and a toddler.

Puppies nip, and puppies also wee and poo everywhere, which is not great with a child that is about to start crawling.

CoralRose Sat 17-Sep-11 13:21:57

3 or 4? Really?

<wails>

I've wanted one for so long, especially now we have 3 boys and live in the country. Not sure I could wait 3 years. <selfish>

Coca Sat 17-Sep-11 13:25:03

I would wait a few years. Puppies are so much work. I struggled and my dcs are 9 and 7. What sort of dog are you thinking of?

squeakytoy Sat 17-Sep-11 13:25:24

How would you walk the dog? You have a child in a buggy, and a child who will be slowly toddling along.. a dog on a lead too would be very hard to manage at the same time.

It is also going to be a bit unfair on the cat too, as the puppy is bound to make her life a misery.

Mutt Sat 17-Sep-11 13:26:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 17-Sep-11 13:26:45

I'd go for it.
If you really want it you'll manage. You seem to be already aware of the issues with young children, and if you're prepared for the hard work it will invove, why not.

booyhoo Sat 17-Sep-11 13:28:24

OP wouldit be posible for you to borrow a friend's dog/puppy for a week just so you could see exactly how it would affect your family. i really do think people under estimate the time and commitment it takes to have a dog.

Coca Sat 17-Sep-11 13:29:08

Agree if you really want to then go for it but please think about the logistics really carefully. It will change your life completely. (actually I can't say that but it did change ours) smile

dreamingofsun Sat 17-Sep-11 13:29:20

agree with others. puppies are hard work - they eat everything really quickly, escape out the front door in an instant, pee and poo and to get you to play with them they nip you - got several rips in my jeans. if they get bored they cause further mayhem - eg pulling washing off line and chewing things (husband was watching rugby)

you might also find it challenging to walk it once its 18months old and needs longer walks? plus time for training?

i would leave it till your youngest is older - ours was 9 which worked well.

best thing we ever did though despite the intitial grief. kids and dog love each other and have loads of fun.

bemybebe Sat 17-Sep-11 13:31:21

Absolutely totally UNREASONABLE to take any dog at this stage and especially a puppy. I would wait until the oldest one is at least 8 yo.

Birdsgottafly Sat 17-Sep-11 13:31:35

You have the advantage of being able to puppy proof your house first, if you do. Everything will change, it is like having another toddler. You will have to consider how you will have your Christmas tree etc, to accomodate the puppy.

It depends on what breed you are thinking of getting, i have GSD, they need alot of exercise but are highly trainable.

Mine is 6 months and not a problem, she has her place to sleep in and go to, she is totally under control. I bought lots of chew toys before i got her and had a large kennel and run built for when we are getting ready of a morning.

If you already have safety gates, this will make it easier. My last male (this one is female) i got as a rescue dog when my youngest DD was about 18 months and managed fine, i have had other rescue dogs as a foster carer for GSD's.

It depends on what you can cope with. You will have to consider holidays, transport etc.

OpinionatedMum Sat 17-Sep-11 13:32:22

No, too much with kids that age.

Coca Sat 17-Sep-11 13:34:24

On the plus side our puppy made us all a bit better at clearing up having lost:
2 library books
at least 5 other books
My favourite boots
Doormat
Washing line
Endless toys inc £40 Fur real one
Endless knickers (fetish)
All Dh's work shoes

Still love the bugger though

ChippingIn Sat 17-Sep-11 13:34:42

I think if you go into it knowing it's going to be hard work it will be fine. I actually think the ages of your children will work out well as when the puppy starts to need longer walks your eldest will be at school, your middle one at nursery/play school and then you'll only have the one baby in a buggy.

You can house train the dog before the baby is mobile.

Marne Sat 17-Sep-11 13:35:36

I agree with the others, getting a puppy is like having another child but worse grin, they need a lot of training, you can't put a nappy on them (so constantly cleaning up puddles and poop), it will need walking, lots of attention and lots of training.

We got our dog when dd2 was 2.5 and TBH i wish we had waited a little longer as its hard work trying to train a dog and a toddler.

Birdsgottafly Sat 17-Sep-11 13:35:45

Just to add, if you take your 5 year old to school, you will be walking back into the floor full of 'dog mess', so the DC's will have to be put somewhere whilst you clean up.

The right breed could go in a dog run, or two smaller dogs?

Who would exercise the dog in the snow?

I agree it might be a bit much but i couldn't live without a dog in my life.

Mitmoo Sat 17-Sep-11 13:37:13

Oddly enough my son has been nagging me to get a puppy, it started off as a ferret after he'd seen a friends, so a puppy was an improvement.

I was at the RSPCA yesterday they told me that if I followed their techniques with house-training them you should have them housetrained as a puppy in a week. Another dog rescue centre told me it could be up to a year though, so I'd check out which one is right.

The cat won't be a problem according to the RSPCA, they told me to introduce the cat and the dog keeping them in the same room. This one suprised me and I'm only passing on what the RSPCA said yesterday, I said my cats would bat the puppy one and didn't want that. RSPCA said that is a good thing as the cat is telling the puppy to keep in its place and it will be a life long lesson. He said it might happen a couple of times before the puppy learns not to push its luck with the cat.

SO if RSPCA man was right you COULD have the puppy trained in a week, which will make looking after it a lot easier with crawling babies. RSPCA man said puppies chew so you'll sacrifice some furniture.

He also recommended crating them though warned we would have a few sleepless nights until the puppy learns that you won't come when he "cries" and learn to love the crate if you put food, blankets toys in there, though will be reluctant at first.

Don't shoot if any of this is wrong in the true AIBU way just passing on information I got yesterday. I now have a very stressed out child as like the OP wont rush into buying a puppy without giving it a lot of thought first.

I'm sure it's possible to manage a puppy and young children, but it would have me running for the gin.

Mitmoo Sat 17-Sep-11 13:38:39

laughing at Coco's knicker fetishist puppy.

CoralRose Sat 17-Sep-11 13:39:21

Our garden is huge, and secure.

Walks would literally be going out our gate and into the field at the back. DS1 is at school all day. DS2 is a confident walker. DS3 is usually in his sling.

We will get a pen for the dog.

We have a huge kitchen/diner/hall space downstairs that can easily be separated from the rest of the house (gate), so I can separate kids/puppy/cat. It's also tiled throughout so accidents not such a big deal.

The cat spends all day sleeping on our bed upstairs (out of bounds for puppy) or out the front. Dog will have back garden.

There is also a puppy training course that takes place just up the road. We will do that to give us a head start.

I may wait until DS2 is at nursery every morning, that will be April next year.

I really, really want the kids growing up with a dog, I feel it will really complete our family and would be so loved by us all.

CoralRose Sat 17-Sep-11 13:44:28

School run - I will have cage put in boot of car and the puppy can come with. I've seen a few other Mum's do the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now