Talk

Advanced search

to complain to hairdresser a whole week later?

(7 Posts)
racetobed Sat 17-Sep-11 11:53:08

I do one weekly shift at an office that shares a building with a hairdressers. I visit it every couple of months to fit in as much as possible while dc is at nursery.

I have mid-length very fine hair, which I keep one-length. When discussing the cut, i asked the hairdresser to take no more than an inch off.

However, I didn't realise til the next day that she had actually cut layers into my hair, the shortest of which is 3 1/2 inches shorter than the rest. I've had layers before and quickly realised that when you don't have much hair, layers make it look even finer. I should point out that my hair looked great in the salon, as she blow dried it, so I thanked her and paid. However, I do not have the time nor skill to blow dry my hair to her standards, and now it looks shit.

But do I have any rights to complain given that I was pleased with it in the salon, and a whole week has past? My complaint is that I categorically said: NO more than an inch. She disregarded this and cut away. I didn't notice, as it was wet, and I presumed she had done as I'd requested.

I'm back at the office today and debating whether or not to go in and (politely) point out that I am disappointed she didnt' inform me of her intentions.

mummymccar Sat 17-Sep-11 11:58:44

I'd complain. As a teenager I had a bad dye job and ended up with a helmet head. I was too mortified to complain but my mum went in a week later and they re-did it for free and I got an apology.
It's your hair and I'm sure she thought she was only helping but tbh you can't just cut someone's hair however you feel like it! I'm having visions of her giving people with long hair Emma Watson style cuts just because she felt like it - eek!
So YANBU.

Flisspaps Sat 17-Sep-11 12:02:03

I think YAB a bit U to go back a week later.

You say you didn't notice because it was wet, but that it looked great as it was blow dried? So did you not notice it was layered when it was dry? confused

I'd find a new hairdresser for next time, one that listens to what you want.

DoMeDon Sat 17-Sep-11 12:02:45

YANBU - I went back a week after my cut and colour to show them why I was not happy. I felt beyond awkward but I was in the right so just dealt with my beetroot face!!

Say whay you have said here - makes perfect sense to me.

banana87 Sat 17-Sep-11 12:07:48

YANBU. I had a bad cut about a year ago and it took me a week to work up the courage to complain. When I did, I called the salon and spoke to the manager (who has also cut my hair in the past) and he very quickly made me an appointment with another hairdresser to have it fixed (and I got vouchers for my next cut/colour).

cerealqueen Sat 17-Sep-11 13:39:36

YANBU, you can only go in when you have the opportunity. I totally sympathise. I have very fine hair and say 'no short layers please please please'. I can't tell when they have cut it, and often not till I've washed it myself that they have butchered it in the name of 'face framing layers' or 'shaping'. I'll be in total vexation as I'm drying it for the first time trying to do something with it. I don't know why they do it, I know my hair and what works and doesn't and short layers are a no no no.

I did discover though that a straightening brush as I blow does help me deal with the pesky short layers.

racetobed Sat 17-Sep-11 13:52:06

thanks for all your messages. I went in, was very calm and polite and just said i was surprised to see layers that were a whole 3 1/2 inches shorter than I'd asked for.
However, she categorically denied cutting them in, saying that they were there already. I DID have layers put in 18 months ago, but had spent the last year and a half growing them out (my hair grows v fast). But she was convinced, to the point that I felt confused and weirdly lacking in self-knowledge on the hair front. confused
Anyway. The upshot was that she explained that the reason why the layers on the right side looked shit was because your hair doesn't grow straight downwards, but one side curves around your crown. So she showed me how to brush one side at an angle (out and round the back of the head rather than under the brush) when blow drying. cerealqueen you might want to add that to your repetoire as it sounds like we're similarly cursed on the fine hair front.

I DO think she cut them in, but wanted to save face, but was pleased that I'd said my piece and am obviously am seeking new hairdresser!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now