Talk

Advanced search

to think people that smoke are totally crazy? i cannot understand it at all how do people afford it too?

(160 Posts)
carriedababi Fri 16-Sep-11 22:22:05

i find it totally baffling

1. it's damages your health, and that of other around you, ie your children
2. its an outrageous waste of money
3. doesn't do your looks much good

how much is a pack of 20 these days anyway?

johnthepong Fri 16-Sep-11 22:22:35

because they are addicted.

StuckInTheMiddleWithYou Fri 16-Sep-11 22:23:15

Expertly rolls fag and lights up.

AmberLeaf Fri 16-Sep-11 22:23:16

What Johnthepong said.

LindyHemming Fri 16-Sep-11 22:23:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AmberLeaf Fri 16-Sep-11 22:24:00

grin and what Stuck said too

AgentZigzag Fri 16-Sep-11 22:24:45

I can't understand why people drive cars.

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Fri 16-Sep-11 22:25:25

Yeah I judge like the next person....
But I spend a happy £3.15 on a beer after work EVERY day and quite often another fiver on a bottle of wine.... ah well. Annoying scare-mongering ads from the government regarding smoking are grossly hypocritical anyway. If every smoker in the land stopped smoking tomorrow the treasury would be bankrupt within a week!

AgentZigzag Fri 16-Sep-11 22:26:38

Has the gin gone? <panic>

farewellfigure Fri 16-Sep-11 22:26:44

Lighting up and ahhhhhhhh

cjbartlett Fri 16-Sep-11 22:27:08

It's about 6.99 isn't it?

Some People can't understand why people fork out a tenner a week on a couple of bottles of wine
I can't understand why some women spend £50 a month on makeup, getting their hair & nails done etc

usualsuspect Fri 16-Sep-11 22:27:08

<lights fag>

tethersend Fri 16-Sep-11 22:28:16

There is no justification. We all know it's a really fucking bad idea to smoke.

And yet... twos up, Stuck?

HairyGrotter Fri 16-Sep-11 22:28:30

I love smoking, always will. I gave up, started again, socially smoke. Am currently living on £20 a week atm so cannot smoke. It's fags or food, and I prefer food currently.

I miss smoking sad

tittybangbang Fri 16-Sep-11 22:28:58

Smoking makes you crave nicotine. So you smoke a fag and it's nice, because you're feeding your addiction.

That's what people mean when they say 'I just enjoy smoking'.

It's like putting your leg in box full of mosquitos and then explaining how you just like scratching.

Yes, it's fucking mad.

I bet there are loads of people whose children go without decent food in order to fund a tobacco habit. A lot of people who are on benefits smoke and they're on a subsistence income. Their children will definitely lose out.

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Fri 16-Sep-11 22:29:00

YES - the gin has gone!! But the Red Wine is here, thank god....(for the second bottle)

farewellfigure Fri 16-Sep-11 22:29:19

I'm sure Mumsnet is as addictive. But I'd rather fags. Right going outside for one now. Heaven forfend I'd smoke in the house!

StuckInTheMiddleWithYou Fri 16-Sep-11 22:30:58

Come and get em!

wine wine wine wine wine wine wine wine wine wine wine wine wine wine wine wine wine wine wine wine wine wine

MiseryBusiness Fri 16-Sep-11 22:31:12

I smoke, started before I was that interested in my health tbh. I've given up several times for DC's etc but not only is it an addiction but the habbit has never left me.
Hopefully I'll give up for good one day.
Also, havent drunk a drop of alcohol since I was about 15. smile

<goes outside for a fag>

BedHog Fri 16-Sep-11 22:32:06

It's finding the smell pleasant that I don't understand. Even ex-smokers will catch a whiff of a cigarette and breathe it in with a wistful smile on their face - I'll be standing there discretely covering my nose and trying not to boak.

Also it still confuses me to see respectable, upstanding citizen types smoking. 20 years after leaving school, I still see it as something the rebellious kids did behind the bike sheds.

madhattershouse Fri 16-Sep-11 22:32:19

Sorry I'm late to the thread..was avin a fag!!!<breaks out the {wine]>

PamBeesly Fri 16-Sep-11 22:32:20

biscuit

Dialsmavis Fri 16-Sep-11 22:32:37

It's silly and irresponsible but I can easily afford it. I spend £3.99 or something on the one small pouch of rolling tobacco I buy a week. I don't buy vacuous magazines any more though. This week I have loads left in my pack anyway so I think smoking cost me about £2 last week smile

madhattershouse Fri 16-Sep-11 22:32:57

Oops wine and thats before I've drunk any grin

glitterkitten Fri 16-Sep-11 22:32:58

YANBU

But I too am off out back. That's what a couple if glasses of wine do to me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now