Talk

Advanced search

to be totes f**king bothered by this??

(14 Posts)
ajb1357 Fri 16-Sep-11 21:09:55

Namechanger

I havejust had to fill out a form for DS to go on a Bikeability course at school. Very simple form, name, gender and ethnicity. WTAF do they need to know my child's heritage to teach him to ride a bike?There was no opt out option btw.

Surely the world will be a better place when we are colourblind?

Isn't it just unnnecessary papaerpushing?

angry

Pandygirl Fri 16-Sep-11 21:12:36

Do you care that they asked about gender? I don't get why they'd need to know either?

pinkytheshrinky Fri 16-Sep-11 21:12:55

Isn't the excuse for this sort of invasion of privacy collection of inforamtion so that they make sure children of all ethnic origins are proficient on pushbikes

Presuming of course that this is the new and improved Cycling Proficiency Test <polishes badge from 1979>

ajb1357 Fri 16-Sep-11 21:14:01

Tbh

I was a bit hmm about gender, but I wondered if that was to do with ratios?

confused

Hassled Fri 16-Sep-11 21:14:54

Someone somewhere will want to see whether these courses are taken up by the appropriate cross-section of society. If there is no Asian take-up, for example, why not? Is there anything they could do to make the course seem more accessible? Do they need to do anything to their marketing to encourage take-up? Etc, etc. So, no, not unnecessary.

ajb1357 Fri 16-Sep-11 21:16:36

Ok Hassled, I can see there's some logic behind that. Perhaps maybe a disabled section as well if you extend that theory?

parentfailure Fri 16-Sep-11 21:16:37

Well, I think it's important that all ethnic groups are included and I guess the only way to keep a track on this is by asking the question... A bit like the census.

I think it's easy for certain groups to become excluded / feel excluded nd that can go unnoticed unless there is some retro check.

It would be nice if no one ever noticed or cared about colour, but sometimes they do, and I think when it comes to councils, they are hauled over the coals if they don't do their best to combat it.

Birdsgottafly Fri 16-Sep-11 21:16:40

I would hope that data is looked at and if one gender or ethnicity is not taking part then the possible reason why would be looked into and put right, if possible.

It's more likely for funding purposes.

WoofToYouTooLady Fri 16-Sep-11 21:17:09

what Hassled saud

tethersend Fri 16-Sep-11 21:17:21

It's just for their monitoring. AFAIK you can't be compelled to fill it in, so just leave it blank.

nailak Fri 16-Sep-11 21:18:54

i would have just not answered the ethnicity bit. or wrote other - prefer not to say.

ajb1357 Fri 16-Sep-11 21:21:04

I wrote "Not Disclosed".

Trifle Fri 16-Sep-11 21:26:11

I usually tick whatever box I am in the mood for. Sometimes ds is Chinese, other times he's African or even Caribbean. Livens pointless form filling up no end.

Pinot Fri 16-Sep-11 21:30:11

^ What trifle said <arf>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now