Talk

Advanced search

To think that MN has an irrational loathing of SMs?

(69 Posts)
Tinnitus Fri 16-Sep-11 20:30:45

Having looked through a few posts, I am beginning to get the uneasy feeling that step mums rate just above pedophiles and MILs in terms of MN loathing. I would like to be wrong. and NO I am not going to site examples.

deemented Fri 16-Sep-11 20:32:20

I have to say i tend to agree with you a little bit. We are given a very bad press here at times.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Fri 16-Sep-11 20:32:47

YABU. Unless you can cite examples proving me wrong I'll stick with the no, MN doesn't have an irrational loathing of SMs.

TrillianAstra Fri 16-Sep-11 20:33:24

MN doesn't have a loathing of anything.

CaptainNancy Fri 16-Sep-11 20:33:30

I haven't seen any threads, but I don't hang around in step-parenting.
Maybe you need to flag up the posts to MNHQ?

rushofbloodtothefeet Fri 16-Sep-11 20:35:09

Trillian, I think the trolls might be described as loathed on MN

TrillianAstra Fri 16-Sep-11 20:39:50

MN is a website, it has no strong feelings smile

Pandygirl Fri 16-Sep-11 20:46:51

Totally agree, the step-parenting section is the only one where concerns are taken seriously, otherwise it's as if we've walked straight out of a fairytale.

DoMeDon Fri 16-Sep-11 20:48:24

YABU - I have seen occassional comments which have annoyed me but in general I think everyone is treated with the same level of contempt.

picnicbasketcase Fri 16-Sep-11 20:49:04

I think some people need to remember that the OW in an affair is not the same thing as a SM. Seeing a step mum as some kind of trouble-causing usurper is not always justified and it doesn't necessarily follow that the SM has caused the breakdown of the mother and father's relationship. IYSWIM.

SouthernFriedTofu Fri 16-Sep-11 20:49:39

I think there are probably quite a lot of step mums on mumsnet

GetAwayFromHerYouBitch Fri 16-Sep-11 20:50:45

I honestly cannot say I have noticed this.

And hatred of the Daily Mail is far greater that of MILs, who do have their supporters on here

Crosshair Fri 16-Sep-11 20:53:37

I havent noticed tbh, I would assume its the same as mil's, sils ect.

Nagoo Fri 16-Sep-11 20:54:06

YABU I don't see that at all.

Cheria Fri 16-Sep-11 21:01:21

I'm a stepmum. My 18 yo SS hates me. To be fair we've only met a few times as since he met me he refuses to come anywhere near us or our newborn baby, and lives a long way away.

But YANBU. Stepmums are given a very bad press everywhere.

Gastonladybird Fri 16-Sep-11 21:02:02

I dont know it's the worst ( you would have to go some way to beat the mil sil or ow vitriol ) but there is a lack of understanding.

It's more the tone outside of step parenting that seems to imply some pretty unpleasant things -a couple of Aibu threads come to mind . There are usually two sides to most stories and as someone else said not all sm are ow and quite a few end up as a primary carer.

Cheria Fri 16-Sep-11 21:06:07

Oh, I think formula feeders get a worse deal here than even stepmums.

Gastonladybird Fri 16-Sep-11 21:07:30

Do I get bonus points for being a ff step mum?

Cheria Fri 16-Sep-11 21:08:11

Well if you do I do grin

bibbitybobbityhat Fri 16-Sep-11 21:08:40

Disagree

BupcakesandCunting Fri 16-Sep-11 21:09:27

I love my stepmum. She is fucking ace.

That is all I wanted to say!

DoMeDon Fri 16-Sep-11 21:12:31

I honestly think you notice the insults if you are in that group. I'm a step mum, been a single mum, ff'd, am fat, had MH issues, etc... I could say all of those are villified by someone somewher on MN. To be honest it's PIL (especially MIL's) who get the worst press in my eyes.

Cheria Fri 16-Sep-11 21:19:56

Oh true, MILs get a bad press from me

Most don't deserve it I'm sure.

I agree that you do notice the insults if you are in the category

Oakmaiden Fri 16-Sep-11 21:25:53

But... but... but... step mothers are EVIL. They give their step-daughter's poisoned apples, and send them into the forests to be eaten by witches.....

Whatmeworry Fri 16-Sep-11 21:27:09

SMs have been vilified throughout history and literature, probably because (on average) they are les likely to care about kids that are not genetically theirs.

Now, where did I put my mirror and apples... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now