Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Honest mechanics - do they exist??

(41 Posts)
busybee20 Fri 16-Sep-11 17:00:06

Help! I am just FED UP of being ripped off by mechanics. Is there ANYONE out there that can give an honest opinion and not charge a fortune!!!! Would be greatly appreciated by my purse strings if any decent car mechanics in Kingston/Twickenham /Richmond area etc... if anyone knows of them I mean.

Kayano Fri 16-Sep-11 17:01:10

Damnit - I have a fantastic one in Newcastle grin

emsyj Fri 16-Sep-11 17:01:54

There's one near me, but I'm in the north west. Took DH's car in with exhaust hanging off expecting large bill for new exhaust. Got a call ten minutes later saying there's nothing wrong with your exhaust, it's just come off the hook. We've hooked it back on, come and pick it up when you're ready, no charge. We took them some beers and have used them ever since.

PublicHair Fri 16-Sep-11 17:03:07

no. HTH.
<having a bad week with people trying to rip me off and being intimidating re our car>
also had a dodgy repair done recently at a garage which is part of 'the good garages scheme hmm

Ormirian Fri 16-Sep-11 17:04:31

Yes. They do.

Sadly, they can still charge you a fortune because that's what it costs <bitter laugh>

but my honest mechanic is in Somerset so no use to you.

Proudnscary Fri 16-Sep-11 17:05:00

Of course they don't. Next!

busybee20 Fri 16-Sep-11 17:07:17

Wow - there are some decent mechanics around then - just not near me I guess!!!
Public hair - sympathise with you. What can we do???

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 16-Sep-11 17:07:56

I have one in Scotland. smile Took ages to find him, though.

Tonksforthememories Fri 16-Sep-11 17:10:38

I have one in the midlands. Of course it helps that he's one of DH's best friends. grin

gethelp Fri 16-Sep-11 17:26:04

I've messaged you. Good luck!

PeneloPeePitstop Fri 16-Sep-11 17:28:36

They do exist, yes.
South Coast is too far for you though.

oldraver Fri 16-Sep-11 17:45:09

My son is in the North East and he always thinks his car bill will cripple him but is always pleasantly surprised. However where I live I have had many try and rip me off. I've had one backtrack when I caught him out and another try it on until my brother turned up who he knew but had forgotten it was my DB who had booked the appointment and had done the necessary work.

Then there is the recent one I went to. on the recomendation of my brother who puts lots of work this guys way and they STILL pushed their luck

LordOfTheFlies Fri 16-Sep-11 18:02:53

Bl**dy hope so! My little motor is in the garage as we speak awaiting invasive under-the-bonnet surgery.

As I am:
A female driver
They are a main dealer and I pay a monthly service plan
My car came from there and has all it's work done there

it is not a license to plug in the diagnostic computer and do that sharp intake of breath, head-shaking thing.

Sigh

teacher123 Fri 16-Sep-11 18:06:22

Yes I can help! It's on St Leonards Road in East Sheen, just on the corner with Sheen Lane - not sure what it's actually called... (Very near Mortlake station) Run by a lovely man called Gavin, who will move heaven and earth to fix your car as quickly as possible for not much money. I lived in Barnes/Sheen for 5 years, and he rescued me from my knackered old cars (all three of them that I had in that time) on a regular basis and never ripped us off.

When I saw your thread title, I thought 'yes I do know a good mechanic, but there's no way that they'll be near Richmond' but clicked on it anyway! A happy coincidence. I just hope he's still there as we moved away a couple of years ago, but it was his business, so chances are it will still be up and running. It looks v unprepossessing, but don't be put off :-)

anewyear Fri 16-Sep-11 18:39:29

Yes there is,
My husband. Hes bloody good as well.
as with teacher, looks very unprepossessing, but has clients not just from the village where we live but several from overseas too..

wheredidiputit Fri 16-Sep-11 18:40:35

Yes. My uncle but he in Barnett

sleepevader Fri 16-Sep-11 18:46:57

I have had two good mechanics. Only recently stopped using I've as it was a real faff to get there and then home whilst he had car.

New one has done a bit of work for us and recently didn't charge us for some time spent investigating fault which no one can find. Dropped in done biscuits.

Unlike the new dealer we have brought car from- faults from day one. Finally got car back today!

LillianGish Fri 16-Sep-11 18:51:24

Try here We always use the one in Hanwell. They have never ripped me off. We once had to be towed off the M25 with a leaking fuel pump. Left the car on their forecourt, petrol everywhere, they could have charged me anything - I had no idea what was wrong. They charged me £30 to do the work. Have used them for everything since and have had nothing but good experience with them. Highly reccommended.

whackamole Fri 16-Sep-11 19:08:13

My uncle was a great one, based in Islington. Sorry he is retired now!

And one guy in the Vauxhall garage in Speke, Liverpool who obviously took pity on the heavily pregnant woman who was crying because the gears kept sticking. He loosened it for me for nothing. (PS - the girl on the desk kept saying no one could help, until he saw me)

marriedinwhite Fri 16-Sep-11 19:43:20

Yep, Alan and Simon at A&S Autos, Upper Richmond Road as it turns into South Circular. Come down West Hill, turn right and they are on the left just before the fire station. Brilliant, fabulous, honest, cheap, helpful. Been using them for 20 years.

gurgling Fri 16-Sep-11 20:25:50

They're rare but yes!!! we have found one. £140 for our latest service (15 year old car).

PortHills Fri 16-Sep-11 20:39:26

No idea, but there is one in East Budleigh, Devon which is FANTASTIC. I love them so much I feel the need to add to this thread. Sorry!

Plus, Toyota have just been amazing and really kind to my recently widowed mother. Again, no use to this thread, but has made my mum so happy that I thought i should share.

Alcoholic ginger beer will do that to me....

GiveMeSomeSpace Fri 16-Sep-11 21:01:55

They do exist, but they are few and far between. Just had a problem with our engine cutting out. 2 dealerships said it was a major fault - £2,000 job. Took it to a local guy one of our friends recommended - he changed the air and fuel filter - £100. Car good as new.
They are in Reading so I suspect that may be a little too far from Richmond/Twickenham.

MissBetsyTrotwood Fri 16-Sep-11 21:05:50

I heartily recommend Which?Local. We had been ripped off by a string of independent and international franchised garages for years. A good mechanic was the only thing missing in our battery of local trusted tradespeople. So we joined and found a place nearby. It looked really really rough but the old fella running it was a diamond and we ended up having a similar experience to GiveMeSomeSpace.

I have a fantastic, fantastic garage, but it's in Erith so possibly a bit far for you. Can PM you the details if you want though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now