Talk

Advanced search

To not expect to see 'energy bar' as the pudding option for school dinners?

(11 Posts)
MegBusset Fri 16-Sep-11 14:52:28

Because 1. Wtf is an 'energy bar' and 2. Presumably it's packed with sugar so not a brilliant idea for a load of 4yos on Friday afternoon?!

NestaFiesta Fri 16-Sep-11 14:58:15

Perhaps it's filled with oats and wheat and is like a cereal bar, in which case, I would be fine with a 4yp being offered it. If you don't want your children to have any sugar whatsoever, maybe best if you pack a lunch?

aldiwhore Fri 16-Sep-11 15:00:39

Sugar is the KEY ingredient for a Friday afternoon here... its sweety day, then 20 minutes in the park, then tea, and just as the sugar high slumps, to bed... they always seem to go down well on a Friday. wink

What I do object to is the fact that pudding is always always offered, my kids now think that they should have a pudding after breakfast, lunch and dinner.

MegBusset Fri 16-Sep-11 15:07:17

DS1 will have packed lunches anyway - he's allergic to egg/sesame/pulses and the limited menu doesn't cater for allergies. I'm more surprised that every day's pudding is something like chocolate cake/jam muffin/sponge and custard etc and in that context I don't think the 'energy bar' will be a super healthy option either!

most school meals are nutritionally analysed these days and children need a balanced diet which includes carbohydrate and sugar hence the puds.

DoMeDon Fri 16-Sep-11 15:25:05

Energy bar?!?! Good lord - WTF happened to choc chip sponge with choc custard - om nom nom -!?! confused

AbbyAbsinthe Fri 16-Sep-11 15:32:07

I'd be well fucked off if I was offered an energy bar instead of cake! Especially on a Friday! grin

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 16-Sep-11 15:34:57

In what parallel universe is 'pudding' meant to be healthy & nourishing ????? hmm YABU

hiddenhome Fri 16-Sep-11 16:14:21

There's nothing wrong with chocolate sponge and white sauce or semolina with jam. They're just lazy giving out energy bars sad

ibbydibby Fri 16-Sep-11 16:28:45

It sounds to me as if, as NestaFiesta says, an oaty, wheaty concoction with an interesting name to make it more appealing. And probably got dried fruit in too. Think schools are under huge pressure these days to offer food that is both within government guidelines and acceptable to children.

Doesn't sound lazy to me...

DigOfTheStump Fri 16-Sep-11 17:12:50

All of the above, plus it is offered as an option, so ..... what's the problem?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now