Talk

Advanced search

To speak to DD's teacher or wait a while?

(4 Posts)
iwantbrie Fri 16-Sep-11 11:02:41

My DD started in year 1 last Monday. It's a big school (2 class years) and the start of the day is a bit chaotic. She has been there since nursery school and has never had any problems going into class but since she started back she's been crying every day before she goes in.
The difference I think has been that in the previous classes (due to the layout of the school) the children have been able to walk straight into class. Now they are in the main school they have to go in, go to the cloakroom then back out and up the stairs to class.
There's just no organisation, the children don't line up and it ends up with around 100 children going in through the same door at the same time with only 2 teachers around to sort people out. We do wait a few minutes for the rush to die down and I always try & find one of her friends for her to go in with but she goes in crying her heart out at the moment.
So my question is, do I try to nip this in the bud now & talk to her teacher or wait and see if it's just new term nerves and let her settle down & get used to the new set up,
also, she keeps looking back for me, this morning I waited around outside till I knew she had gone up the stairs. One of the TA's saw her upset and the last I saw of her was getting a cuddle off the TA which was good to see but am I making it worse by waiting?
Sorry for the long post xx

Yes, def making it worse by waiting...if she knows you are still there she is going to keep hanging back, looking for you etc. Drop her off, get her to where she is supposed to be and then go.

Our school have massive issues with parents hanging round in the playground. As they rightly say, having hundred of parents there makes it difficult to see the kids! Your DD is year 1 now so definately old enough for you to drop her off and go.

exoticfruits Fri 16-Sep-11 11:19:57

Always go straight away and have a chat-as a teacher I would rather deal with problems at the start and not wait until they have got worse.

iwantbrie Fri 16-Sep-11 11:32:26

Thanks for that, I think I really knew I was making it worse hanging around but it's quite hard to see my usually cheerful school loving daughter like that... I will drop her & go next week..
I'll try & catch her teacher this afternoon, thinking about it more, I may try the PTFA or speak to other parents about their feelings on the morning drop off, it really is chaotic! I know alot of other schools in the area tend to line the children up in the playground before the bell goes then walk them into school in classes.. that has to be less stressful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now