Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Too much?

(10 Posts)
Wrecked Fri 16-Sep-11 09:52:48

Precis: My wee sister (a paramedic) has had a letter of complaint about noise her 10mth old daughter creates from the neighbours in the flat downstairs - they've said that they're concerned about her health due to the noises she's making during the night. I've drafted a response for my sister but my DW says it's too patronising. I was wondering if anyone had any views?

Dear xxxxxx

Thank you very much for the concern you have shown about my X month old baby daughter xxx – it really is appreciated and it’s good to know that our neighbours are taking such an interest in the development of our lovely baby.

You raised some interesting points that I would like the opportunity to address in order to allay any fears you may have about her health – primarily I understand, due to the noises she has made that appear to have caused you disturbance.

Firstly, the issue of my daughter’s health. As I work on the frontline dealing with medical emergencies, fatalities and often tragic accidents I can assure you that should any circumstance arise in which I felt that my daughter was ill, in danger or behaving abnormally I have the skills, experience and connections to senior medical personnel to ensure that my daughter is looked after. As it is, xxxx is undergoing some pretty large physiological changes at the moment. As I’m sure you’re aware (you MUST be if you have children of your own!) at this age a baby is undergoing so many changes – but those which appear to be causing you consternation are largely based around her ability to eat and poo.

Firstly, the eating: xxxx is growing 20 teeth (10 in the cranium, 10 in the mandible) that at the present time are erupting from her jawbone and cutting through her gums resulting in pain and occasional oral bleeding – a pretty awful stage in life to go through I’m sure you’ll agree! Unfortunately, despite my extensive medical skills and knowledge I am unaware of any means to regulate this process to ensure it happens only in daytime hours - so please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of xxxx for this inconvenience - and I promise you she’ll only teeth once!

Secondly, the pooing: xxxx, as is the case with the majority of babies her age, is weaning - making the transition from breast milk to solid foods. I’m sure you’ve noticed that if you’ve ever changed your diet (have you tried the Atkins? Phew-ee!), that the results are noticeable, er, downstairs.

I suspect xxxx’s poos are presently a wee bit firm that they seem to be giving her pain and is also probably suffering from constipation. I have changed her diet to include plenty of fruits and vegetables and frequent drinks. There’s a really good web page showing photographs of the different types, consistencies and colour of baby poo and which ones to be concerned about. If you are interested I could send you the link and email you a picture of xxxx’s nappy contents on, say – a weekly basis? This way you’ll be able to put your mind at rest that everything is ok. Please get back to me if you wish to proceed with this course of action and I’ll make the necessary arrangements!

So to précis, I really am sorry that our daughter is causing you concern. However, as I have tried to elucidate above, xxxx is in good health and the physiological and psychological changes she is undergoing at this period in her life are perfectly normal, albeit noisy. Rest assured, we are aware of the disturbance we are causing and ask for your patience and understanding whilst xxxx goes through this difficult time in her young life.

Kind regards,

xxxx

pictish Fri 16-Sep-11 09:54:43

Too long and too waffley.

Cut that down to one succinct paragraph, and you're laughing.

pictish Fri 16-Sep-11 10:00:29

How about

Dear xxx

Thanks for your note of concern. Please allow me to reassure you that as a paramedic, I am quite capable of dealing with any health issues that may surround my daughter, so you need not worry unduly about that.
All is well, and please accept my apologies for any noise that is disturbing you. She IS a noisy little thing and we look forward to the days when she grows out of it.

Yours xxxx

mousesma Fri 16-Sep-11 10:01:29

Yes too long, no need for detailed explanation of teething and pooing problems.

pictish Fri 16-Sep-11 10:03:33

I can tell you enjoyed writing that OP, but I have to confess, I didn't bother to finish reading it. FAR too overly verbose and detailed. These things are none of the neighbours business.

Sausagesarenottheonlyfruit Fri 16-Sep-11 10:03:44

" If you are interested I could send you the link and email you a picture of xxxx’s nappy contents on, say – a weekly basis? This way you’ll be able to put your mind at rest that everything is ok"

Hahahaaa brilliant grin

Very droll, please don't send it though!

FancyForgetting Fri 16-Sep-11 10:04:20

Agree with Pictish and your DW. Overlong, could be seen as patronising and risks being misinterpreted as protesting too much (ie having something to hide).

Would suggest you simply thank them for their concern, assure them that baby is happy and well, just going through teething and weaning, and thank them for their patience while you and she get through this development stage.

diddl Fri 16-Sep-11 10:06:10

Does it require a response?

They´re not really concerned are they-they just want the baby keeping quiet at night?

allhailtheaubergine Fri 16-Sep-11 10:07:10

It is very antagonistic. Do you want to start a war with this letter or calm the waters with the neighbours?

ConstanceNoring Fri 16-Sep-11 10:17:24

It is far to patronising and sarcastic, - but makes a very good read grin

Yes, mention your sister's capability
Yes, to mention teething and upset due to moving to solids
Yes, say we're hoping she becomes more settled again soon for everyone's sake and sorry her noise has been disturbing them too.

Keep the other letter for your sister to have a good chuckle about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now