Advanced search

to think that portable benefits should be scrapped?

(49 Posts)
fedupalready Thu 15-Sep-11 21:23:34

Cant believe that the UK is still a soft touch and handing out millions of pounds of UK tax payers money in portable child benefits to children living in Eurpean countries such as Poland, it is quite unbelievable, when only the parents need to reside in the here.................this could only happen in the UK, madness. AIBU to think that this stupid wasteful policy should be scrapped or is there a good reason why this happens?

Sevenfold Thu 15-Sep-11 21:24:27

good luck

longfingernails Thu 15-Sep-11 21:24:55

YANBU. Britain is a soft touch. It's disgusting.

AmberLeaf Thu 15-Sep-11 21:24:55

What an original idea for a thread!

GypsyMoth Thu 15-Sep-11 21:25:02

I have no idea why it happens either!

SansaLannister Thu 15-Sep-11 21:25:42


aldiwhore Thu 15-Sep-11 21:27:52

Doesn't it work both ways though? If DH and I upped sticks and moved to Poland, wouldn't the same apply? I admit to ignorance on the subject..

Desiderata Thu 15-Sep-11 21:29:00

Name me an original idea for a thread, Amberleaf.

Are you suggesting that every thread, and every sentence we must utter, must be completely independent of any other?

The OP is obviously right to be indignant. You'd have to be a complete twat not to be.

onepieceofcremeegg Thu 15-Sep-11 21:46:26

Sorry could I clarify what you mean? (I am sure your post is clear, but I am tired and can't seem to understand it)

Are you saying that parents come to live in the UK from Poland, but are entitled to claim cb for their children who remain in their home country? i.e. the children aren't resident in the UK?

PeneloPeePitstop Thu 15-Sep-11 21:50:03

Ohhhh.... what was it you say.....
ohhhhhh what was it again?

hmmmm oh yeah it's biscuit

IsItMeOr Thu 15-Sep-11 21:53:19

I believe that's the case onepieceofcremeegg. I assume the rationale is that it's a benefit related to whether the parents pay national insurance contributions, and where the children actually are is irrelevant. But I could be wrong.

Kendodd Thu 15-Sep-11 21:53:47

Don't children have to live with the claimant to receive CB? In that, if a child lives with grandparents, the parents couldn't claim CB but the grandparents could?

troisgarcons Thu 15-Sep-11 21:54:53

A little hysterical OP .... there is an EU reciprocal agreement regarding 'child benefit' get your facts right in the first instance...*this could only happen in the UK,* I have friends who are spanish resident who legitimately claim CA and another set who are turkish residents also claim.

Mind you I also have friends who are now oz resident and have been fraudulently claiming for 10 years.

aldiwhore Thu 15-Sep-11 21:57:43

Ah so it works both ways within the EU?

Well 'oh my giddy aunt' like, what if we don't actually want to live in Poland? sigh It's just not fair.

If it works the same for everyone in the EU and the country the parents are paying NI into, and if CB is based on NI contribution, then I see no issue I'm afraid.

Jaquelinehyde Thu 15-Sep-11 22:04:09

So what about this then?

EduStudent Thu 15-Sep-11 22:04:48

Have to agree with aldiwhore - If you went to live in Spain and paid your taxes there, would you not feel entitled to the benefits afforded by this?

EduStudent Thu 15-Sep-11 22:06:53

Hurrah! Not even factually correct...

bumpsoon Thu 15-Sep-11 22:25:24

Completely read the thread title wrong, thought it said 'portaloo benefits' , as you were grin

Er, what? confused

fedupalready, could you take a look at the link JacquelineHyde posted, and let us know if there's an eligibility criterion you didn't know about?
Because your OP doesn't make a lot of sense otherwise...

RedHelenB Thu 15-Sep-11 22:49:19

the poor kids don't get to see their mothers, why shouldn't they get the monetary benefit if they are working here & helping the economy?

littlemisssarcastic Thu 15-Sep-11 22:50:41

"If however you are a national of an EEA country or Switzerland, you can usually get Child Benefit even if your child doesn't come to the UK. But your child will need to be living in an EEA country or Switzerland.

The countries in the EEA along with the UK are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden."

Does this mean all parents of DC living in these countries can claim CB even if their DC have never been to the UK? Does this stretch to WTC/CTC?

littlemisssarcastic Thu 15-Sep-11 22:51:59

I meant all parents who work/live in the UK, but whose DC live in one of those countries?

iloverainbows Thu 15-Sep-11 22:52:09

My understanding is that you can claim anywhere within the EU. The problem is that some countries are more generous than others, hence the big influx into the UK and Ireland as the CB is more generous.

sunshinelifeisgood Thu 15-Sep-11 22:53:18

fedupalready: yanbu, I personally think that the UK as a country is going mad, we are in a terrible recession similar to years ago. UK as a country cannot afford to pay money that should not be paid out. Not even going down the immigrants etc route but we as a country have to tie our belts (like aus and canada) and have to say enough is enough. People are entitled to benefits if they have worked or thier family have worked for it in the UK but to pay people for benefits abroad WTF is that all about no wonder this country is going down the fecking pan

FabbyChic Thu 15-Sep-11 22:53:35

Im sure the child has to reside with you in order for you to claim Child Benefit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now