Talk

Advanced search

To keep DD home from school tomorrow for feeling like crap with stuffy head and a sore throat?

(22 Posts)
oopslateagain Thu 15-Sep-11 20:27:39

DD (13yo) had a sore throat last night, woke up this morning looking a bit flushed with a really sore throat, but no temp. I sent her to school with throat lozenges. She came home and has basically laid on the sofa all evening, hardly touched her tea, and has now taken herself off to bed an hour earlier that normal.

I posted on Fakebook that I was keeping her home tomorrow so she can hopefully shake this off by Monday. A good friend (mum of DD's friend) has just said she would never keep her DD off for a sore throat, school is too important to miss unless you are really ill.

If DD feels like this tomorrow, what earthly good is she going to get from going to school? I don't want to wake her up at 6.30 to see if she feels miraculously better; I don't want to have to pick her up at 10:00am when she turns pale and staggers off to the nurse.

I should point out, DD actually loves school and wouldn't 'put it on' just to miss a day.

AIBU to just keep her off without waking her tomorrow? Or should I wake her and send her (assuming no temperature/capable of walking a mile) and be prepared to pick her up if necessary?

Callisto Thu 15-Sep-11 20:29:48

I'm of the opinion that my child's health is more important than school and wouldn't hesistate to keep her off if she is feeling under the weather.

Chummybud1 Thu 15-Sep-11 20:30:31

Keep her off for her own benefit and all the other kids who will catch her bug.

dementedma Thu 15-Sep-11 20:30:51

of course YANBU. why would you think you were? Your friend sounds insane - health is more important than school and at 13, it's not as if she's sitting A-levels! Leave her to sleep. You know your daughter. One day off isn't going to ruin her future career.

2BoysTooLoud Thu 15-Sep-11 20:31:39

If she wakes up herself all bright eyed etc she will want to go in. Otherwise - go with your instincts and let her sleep in and take Friday off.
She then has the weekend to recover.

Sirzy Thu 15-Sep-11 20:31:56

So her mum is the type that happily sends there child to spread germs about!

If she is ill she is ill and feeling crap she won't be able to pay enough attention to lean anyway!

oopslateagain Thu 15-Sep-11 20:42:57

Wow, all of you within 5 minutes!

Good to know I'm not a mad overprotective mum. (Didn't think I was, TBH, but you know what it's like when you're home alone...)

I will let DD sleep in tomorrow with a clear conscience.

Bugger, I still have to get up early to ring the school. angry grin grin

NorfolkBroad Thu 15-Sep-11 20:49:33

YANBU of course you are not! I have some friends who have that mentality though. I could never send my dd into school ill.

neepsntatties Thu 15-Sep-11 20:53:25

Keep her off! I am a teacher and I hate it when parents send sick children to school. They struggle to work and pass on all their germs to me.

Crosshair Thu 15-Sep-11 20:53:52

YANBU!

aldiwhore Thu 15-Sep-11 21:16:11

I'd wake her up at normal time, and just see how she feels. If she still feels shite after getting up, washing, etc., and isn't interested in breakfast or makeup(?... sorry no idea if a 13 yr old does wear make up, I did but it was the 80's) I'd keep her off. Sod what any other mother on facebook thinks.

P.S The reason for waking her as usual wouldn't so much about intending to send her to school, but assessing her health and whether a trip to the quaks would be in order!

pointythings Thu 15-Sep-11 21:20:46

If a 13yo is voluntarily going to bed an hour early, then something is wrong - she's ill, let her stay home. I'm just shaking off something very similar (courtesy of my lovely boss smile - no seriously, she did go home early when she realised but had already infected me) and I have felt like crap since Monday with much the same symptoms. It's virus time again!

lesstalkmoreaction Thu 15-Sep-11 21:26:41

At 13 she is old enough to know if she can cope with a day at school and may well feel much better after a nights sleep and a dose of paracetomol. I would see if she gets up in time and see what she is like after breakfast, if she doesn't feel well enough to get up then that answers your question, especially if she normally is happy to go.
Lots of sore throats doing the rounds, my dd had one and bought herself some lozenges to take to school but she did eat her dinner so obviously not too ill!!!

quirrelquarrel Thu 15-Sep-11 21:52:31

She won't die if she goes to school, but school isn't so terribly important you can't miss a couple of days here and there. Especially at 13, no exams, into the swing of 1st term, it's fine.

Hope she feels better.

Badtasteflump Thu 15-Sep-11 21:59:46

Keep her at home - a teenager would never go to bed early unless they felt really rough!

And why did you post it on facebook - I hate facebook!

Sorry blush

troisgarcons Thu 15-Sep-11 22:06:56

TBH with you ~ unless there is a death certificate pending ~ I go to work, the kids go to school and 2 from 3 of mine have a totally clean attendance record. Quite simple really - unlesss you are bed bound you are c apable of functioning

oopslateagain Thu 15-Sep-11 22:09:10

flump Fakebook is useful because of bingo updates on Guides and dance class. grin

I posted to ask if any of DD's friends (or their families) had similar, as these things tend to go round yearly and its nice to know what it could develop into.

It is SO out of character for her to go to bed early. And tomorrow has several lessons she really enjoys so I was surprised when I suggested a day off and she agreed!

strictlovingmum Thu 15-Sep-11 22:10:59

Keep her home she is obviously unwell she needs to to recoup and recover, we just went trough bout of tummy bug, there is no way I would have sent my DD to school in the state she was few days ago, hope she feels well soon.smile

mumeeee Thu 15-Sep-11 22:29:10

YANBU, keep her home so she has a chance to rest and tKe it easy. A child who feels rough won't be able to concentrate at school.

JIRkids Thu 15-Sep-11 23:16:18

YANBU - your friend however is totally out of order to lecture you on this!

Mitmoo Fri 16-Sep-11 06:56:46

I hope she's feeling better this morning, you do what YOU think it best for your daughter. Like others I don't appreciate people sharing their bugs with all and sundry.

I used to hate the "martyrs" who would come into work, flushed up, coughing, sneezing and blowing their noses. I'd cover their work before I'd catch their bugs every single time.

oopslateagain Fri 16-Sep-11 12:04:12

Well I didn't wake her up today, she woke up around 9am and has been on the sofa ever since. Completely unlike her. She hasn't even attempted to play her DS or asked to use the laptop; she's watching telly but not sure how much she's actually watching.

She still doesn't have a high temp, just the sore throat and stuffy head. Fingers crossed that it's gone by Monday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now