Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Holiday - is this enough notice?

(13 Posts)
flibbertigibbert Thu 15-Sep-11 18:47:41

I started a new job 3 months ago and haven't taken any holiday yet. DP and I had been thinking of going away for ages but couldn't book anything as there was uncertainty as to when DP could get holiday. He has now had his availability confirmed and so we are thinking of going away at the beginning of November (7 weeks time) for 2 weeks. Problem is, I'm worried I'm not giving enough notice at work. This is my first non-temporary job - graduated last year then was a temp, so I'm not sure what the protocol is. It's an entry level admin job and I don't have any long term projects etc.

Just thought I would check here before asking my boss in case I was being really unreasonable

HairyGrotter Thu 15-Sep-11 18:48:43

Plenty of notice I figure. Do they have a holiday rota available for staff to view?

Kayano Thu 15-Sep-11 18:49:11

That's should be plenty of notice. It's one week notice where I work now and at my old job 2 days!

flibbertigibbert Thu 15-Sep-11 18:51:39

There is a rota - no-one else is really taking holiday around that time as everyone has gone over the summer

tyler80 Thu 15-Sep-11 18:52:23

The norm where I've worked has been notice should be equal to the time you want off. So if you want a day off a day's notice is fine, if you want a week you should give a week's notice, etc.

So YANBU at all to be asking for time off in November.

HairyGrotter Thu 15-Sep-11 18:53:11

Book it, I think that is plenty of notice.

flibbertigibbert Thu 15-Sep-11 18:56:10

Thanks for your replies - that's very reassuring. I thought I was being really cheeky!

PicaK Thu 15-Sep-11 18:56:13

I think if you go to your boss with the same attitude you've shown in your post (ie mature, considerate and thoughtful) s/he will be so thrilled that they've managed to employ a young person without a gob smacking sense of entitlement there will be no problems at all.

brodanbell Thu 15-Sep-11 19:05:29

That kind of thing is usually laid out in the company handbook - did you get any literature when you started? It should contain everything from procedure for being off sick to maternity cover and holidays. At my last company it was generally ignored (I think you were supposed to give 2 weeks notice for a 2 week holiday) and it operated well apart from the odd occasion when my boss would realise he'd signed off three people at the same time and then have a mini-rant about it.

Trust me, you're not being cheeky. Just ask your boss and take it from there.

NinkyNonker Thu 15-Sep-11 19:10:06

One of my previous employers said one month per week required, but only for management whose work couldn't be covered easily and I don't know what you do. You're so close though I'm sure it'll be fine.

TrillianAstra Thu 15-Sep-11 19:25:56

I would just ask your boss and see. As long as you do it politely how can they complain? I agree with PicaK - you're being very considerate by thinking about what you are working on and how your leave will affect other people.

You haven't actually asked if you are being unreasonable about anything you know. smile

FabbyChic Thu 15-Sep-11 19:28:03

That is plenty of notice.

squeakytoy Thu 15-Sep-11 19:29:31

The only problem may be that you have not accrued enough holiday for 10 days paid holiday yet, but it will only be a day or two short, so you should be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now