Talk

Advanced search

Friends and money

(31 Posts)
WinkyWinkola Thu 15-Sep-11 15:39:30

I took my friend's dd with my dd to buy some ballet gear..

I read out my bank details from my card to my friend for her to transfer the £ for the clothes.

She transferred the money 3 weeks later. It's not in my account 5 working days later. I asked her about it and she read back the bank details to me and she's got the account number wrong.

She says there's nothing she can do and she can't afford to pay out again for the ballet clothes.

What do I do now? I don't suppose there is anything I can do really, is there?

ivykaty44 Thu 15-Sep-11 15:41:24

She needs to contact her bank and get the money back - she should be able to do this as the other person will have received the money and wondered where it came from...

She needs to pay you the money in cash that she owes you in the mean time

niceguy2 Thu 15-Sep-11 15:41:41

Of course there is. Your friend phones the bank and tells them of the mistake. They reverse the deposit and then she can pay you.

Will take a little time & effort on her part but hey, next time she can double check the account numbers can't she.

biddysmama Thu 15-Sep-11 15:42:35

ring the bank and ask them? telling them the account number it was mistankenly put into

ViviPru Thu 15-Sep-11 15:53:28

Is she saying the money has definitely been debited from her account?

I'm assuming you gave her your account number and sort code for her to transfer the money via BACS. If that's the case its unlikely that she has transferred the money to the wrong account, particularly since to perform a BACS transfer, the A/C details are accompanied with YOUR NAME. If these don't match up, the debit payment wont transfer.

If she's written down a number wrong, its more likely the payment was declined, no money was debited from her account and she's not noticed. I'd ask her to check her account again.

Rosietheriveter28 Thu 15-Sep-11 16:01:32

I hate to tell you this, but having been through the same situation, where I got one digit wrong - unless the account holder agree to give you the money back, she wont see it again.

It's a nightmare. I went to banking ombudsmen about it as when the banks make a mistake they can pull the money straight out, but when you make a mistake and can prove it (in my case, the name of payee was different) then they can apparently do diddly squat. I wrote a letter to the bank of the person in question and asked very nicely for it back. It didn't arrive. It was £300!

Taught me to be very careful in future sad

ViviPru Thu 15-Sep-11 16:13:07

I stand corrected, Rosie. The reason I didn't think it could happen is that I'm rubbish with numbers and invariably enter digits wrong. I make incorrect payments often (you'd think I'd learn) but they never transfer and the bank told me its because either the name doesn't match the a/c details, or the a/c number doesn't tally with the s/c number.

Perhaps it varies from bank to bank then... OP hasn't actually confirmed whether her friend is sure the money has actually transferred though, or whether she just thinks it has.

StrandedBear Thu 15-Sep-11 16:15:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StrandedBear Thu 15-Sep-11 16:16:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HowAboutAHotCupOfShutTheHellUp Thu 15-Sep-11 16:31:38

I had the same problem. I bank with Santander and the credited bank was HSBC. It was a hassle, but Santander sorted it out for me and I got the money back. Fortunately, the account no. I entered didn't exist and the cash was floating around in the system. If the cash has gone into someone's account and they have drawn it out, unlikely you will get it back. However, if the person who has withdrawn the money is aware that it is not theirs, then they have committed a crime.

diddl Thu 15-Sep-11 16:34:45

I would have thought that you have to match account nr & name.

Is that not the case?

If so-is she trying to pull a fast one?

woowoo2 Thu 15-Sep-11 16:41:36

Sounds to me like she never sent the money in the first place, so I would be pushing for her to get it back asap and pay you what she owes imediately

Cheerfulcharlie Thu 15-Sep-11 16:42:27

I'm sorry, I don't believe she really has done a transfer at all.

diddl Thu 15-Sep-11 16:46:05

Over here if you get a number wrong, it goes out of your account & then comes back as it can´t be accepted by the other bank.

namechange33 Thu 15-Sep-11 18:55:34

I do not believe her either!

DaisyDaresYOU Thu 15-Sep-11 19:05:43

Another one that doesn't believe it.Sorry

DaisyDaresYOU Thu 15-Sep-11 19:10:48

I'd want some sort if proof she transfered it.I've done this before and was given a reciept

CocktailQueen Thu 15-Sep-11 19:13:19

I did this - paid £300 into dd's savings account and the cashier mistyped one digit and it went into the wrong account!

I didn't check the receipt and only found out a few months later - but they just took the money from the other account and put it into dd's, no questions asked! Hope you get it worted.

Deesus Thu 15-Sep-11 19:16:30

It's her mistake though (if that is what really happened) - not fair to leave you out of pocket!

FabbyChic Thu 15-Sep-11 19:19:43

She cannot get the money back, it has gone. It is her fault it was paid to the wrong account not yours, she will have to pay again.

DaisyDaresYOU Thu 15-Sep-11 19:20:01

Surely when you take soneones numbers down you check it.When ever i've always checkef it more than once to make sure i've put it down right,i thought all people did hmm

FabbyChic Thu 15-Sep-11 19:20:22

BANKS DO NOT REVERSE BANK TRANSERS, if they could you wouldn't get people being scammed all the time on eBay.

Jeeez some people are so stoopid.

DaisyDaresYOU Thu 15-Sep-11 19:21:28

Argh! Sorry about typos.I'm texting too fast.Must slow down

DaisyDaresYOU Thu 15-Sep-11 19:23:26

That was supposed to say when i've taken down my sisters number and vice versa we always check them more than once

squeakytoy Thu 15-Sep-11 19:23:45

After spending many years doing payroll, the account name is NOT taken into account when transferring money. Only the sort code, and account number.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now