Talk

Advanced search

To think that the police were wrong in this instance

(13 Posts)
woowoo2 Thu 15-Sep-11 15:14:17

DP collects my ds from school every day on his pushbike with trailer bike attached.

He was just on his way to collect ds (20-30 min cycle) and the police stopped him to 'check his bike wasn't stolen' and then porceeded to do a full search of his person - for no reason whatsoever. he is now going to be 30 mins late to collect ds and I will be charged for a full session of afterschool club! Not to mention to humiliation do suffered...

LaurieFairyCake Thu 15-Sep-11 15:15:53

Has he been given a stop and search form outlining why he was stopped?

woowoo2 Thu 15-Sep-11 15:17:12

I am not sure LaurieFairyCake he just rang me in a blind panic about ds being left uncollected

purplepidjinawoollytangle Thu 15-Sep-11 15:17:34

Would you rather a theif who may look loosely like your DP was wandering around stealing things simply because the police didn't want to make them late for the school run? hmm

DP has been stopped hundreds of times. The description "black male between 5'5 and 5'8" covers an awful lot of people.

biddysmama Thu 15-Sep-11 15:19:01

did he tell them he had a child to pick up from school? its the first thing i would have said if stopped, surely that would matter?

StrandedBear Thu 15-Sep-11 15:20:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

woowoo2 Thu 15-Sep-11 15:20:10

biddysmama yes he did and they didn't seem to care. He said they took ages to do a check on his bike and then decided to search his whole person too.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 15-Sep-11 15:23:53

They have to tell you why and they have to do it quickly - there is no way it should take half an hour unless someone is obstructive (absolutely not insinuating your dh wasn't) and they have to give you a card stating your stop and search

more info www.met.police.uk/stopandsearch/what_is.htm

woowoo2 Thu 15-Sep-11 15:28:02

laurie does this apply to all forces?

Mupski Thu 15-Sep-11 15:28:40

StrandedBear I don't believe the police are allowed to just stop and search "anyone". I think I'm correct in saying that they can only do so if you match the description of a suspect they are looking for, if they believe you are carrying weapons or drugs, if there has been violent crime in the area or to counter terrorism.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 15-Sep-11 15:34:26

That's true and your dh fell within that as he was 'driving' a bike they thought may have been stolen - he does not have to match the description.

Yes woo, it applies to all forces - I got that page by googling rights stop and search - they all follow the same guidelines.

Pakdooik Thu 15-Sep-11 15:36:15

OP - yes, they were wrong

LaurieFairyCake Thu 15-Sep-11 15:38:32

Look, they're not 'wrong' as they carried out the stop and search according to the law ie. they had reason to believe the bike may have been stolen.

They will be wrong if they have not carried out the stop and search in accordance with the law - and we don't know that yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now