Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed that reception class is asked to use online learning resource with flashing links to online games and facebook?

(10 Posts)
stickwithit Thu 15-Sep-11 14:31:28

DS started reception two weeks ago.

We have been given links and a login to a web-based learning resource for use at home. We were also given a letter asking us to encourage DCs to use this resource to support their learning.

For reception children there are three main sections: literacy, numeracy and an area relating to this week's learning topic. Each section consists of games to directly support learning e.g. count the fish and click on the correct number.

I was initially a little surprised by this but thought that I was probably living in the dark ages so decided to try to embrace it. However, not only are the games very very dull but there are flashing links everywhere to online games.

The flashing links are to both free and paid for games and also to facebook. The games are aimed at children but are not 'educational' or particularly suitable for a 4 year old, (e.g. Mario Cars, Simpsons, Hannah Montanna, something called Dark Orbit which looks fairly menacing).

These links are flashing and scrolling along and it makes it difficult for DS to concentrate on the (very dull) games that he is supposed to be trying.

I realise that my role is to direct him away from these rather enticing links and encourage him to concentrate but frankly I am annoyed that they are there in the first place. They distract him and create the potential for battles. Believe me, I am no pushover but when DS ends up disappointed that I won't let him try these games he is no longer be in a receptive learning mood.

The teachers will know if he has not tried the activities as there are sheets online to complete and bring in for his learning journey.

AIBU to be very tempted to complain about this and risk becoming a pushy parent to a no doubt already overworked reception teacher?

littleducks Thu 15-Sep-11 14:36:05

Is there any way of changing your browser settings to hide the ads?

Anniegetyourgun Thu 15-Sep-11 14:36:39

FACEBOOK IS EVIL

FagAshLill Thu 15-Sep-11 14:37:17

Install adblock plus. It free and it works I never see any ads on anything.

piprabbit Thu 15-Sep-11 14:37:23

That sounds really weird as I understand there are a variety of resources available on-line for schools to use, so it seems odd that they've chosen one that is overloaded with ads.

Can you let us know the name of the site? MNers might be able to recommend some alternatives which you could suggest to the school. Or there's some ad-blocking software you could install that might help (will see what i can find).

Highlander Thu 15-Sep-11 14:37:30

Oh I would be raging at this.

I would arrange a meeting for the end of the school day with the head of your school's early years. Go through the website with her and point out all the tacky links.

They may spout you some line about illiterate parents, or non-English patents and thus they feel the website is a way of better supporting literacy. Nonsense, of course.

piprabbit Thu 15-Sep-11 14:37:42

X-post blush.

stickwithit Thu 15-Sep-11 14:54:53

Thanks eveyone. Glad I am not alone in being annoyed about this. I hadn't thought about trying ad blocking software. I am not sure if it will work as the ads are sort of embedded in the site (a bit like on here) but will give it a go.

You can't access the site without a login, which includes DS' name so I can't share it here. The webaddress includes his school name but I got the impression that it is also used by other schools and other counties. The games themselves seem to have been written by all sorts of different companies, each one has a different author and links to different companies.

The head of Early Years is also DS' teacher. She seems lovely and I am reluctant to rock the boat but I am not happy about this. Maybe I will wait until tomorrow so I am a bit calmer and then ask her when she could fit in a quick chat with me about this.

Any suggestions of alternative sites would be much appreciated.

kat2504 Thu 15-Sep-11 14:57:41

Ah yes but we might know the site and if you tell us what the site is called some posters might have their own log in for the same site. If we dont know what site it is then it is hard to suggest a similar alternative. It doesnt sound like a great site though if it is full of adverts.

fargate Thu 15-Sep-11 15:05:01

The flashing links will be 'really good' for children with photosensitive epilepsy. How daft can some people be?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now