Talk

Advanced search

To not give a flying fish.....

(22 Posts)
cheekeymonkey Thu 15-Sep-11 13:53:45

That the government have spent god knows how much money in deciding to remove 'sell by' dates off perishable goods.
Don't they think us morons can tell the difference between a 'sell by' and a 'use by' date?
Personally I use the rule of thumb of if it's green and has development it's own flora and forna - don't eat it.
I understand they need to cut down the amount of food thrown away each month by people that cannot make their own decisionconfusedbut surely they would be better off banning 'buy 1 get 100 free' offers?

TrillianAstra Thu 15-Sep-11 13:55:17

I'm not sure if Iunderstand it right, but doesn't removing sell-by not reduce food thrown away by individuals but reduce the amount of food thrown away by businesses? Businesses are not allowed to make judgements based on flora and fauna, if they have written a sell-by date they have to stick with it.

cheekeymonkey Thu 15-Sep-11 13:57:35

Could be right there trillian. Bet that's the first time someone has said that to you today?grin

itisnearlysummer Thu 15-Sep-11 14:03:19

I know it's ridiculous.

I completely understand the difference between use by, best before and display until.

Display until = when the shops can, er, display it until
Best before = the food will taste better, e.g. bread will be fresher, before this date
Use by = use the product by this date, or don't.

I tend to use my common sense.

TrillianAstra Thu 15-Sep-11 14:03:52

Back in the day I got at least one "I agree with Trillian" a week...

cheekeymonkey Thu 15-Sep-11 14:11:42

I agree with trillian, better? grin

TrillianAstra Thu 15-Sep-11 14:13:27

grin

Weird to say that on your own thread though...

cheekeymonkey Thu 15-Sep-11 14:13:36

It's not you that is "throwing away £50 of food a month" then summer.

AMumInScotland Thu 15-Sep-11 14:13:38

You'd think people knew the difference, but it's only recently that I've managed to get my DH to understand the difference between "Use By" and "Best Before".

But removing the "Sell By" will at least reduce some confusion I suppose...

slavetofilofax Thu 15-Sep-11 14:15:03

YABU. Flying fish are awesome.

cheekeymonkey Thu 15-Sep-11 14:15:36

No forgot to mention that the news bulletin was reporting that the measure was to stop consumers throwing away on average £50 worth of food a month. Therefore they appear to be stating that consumers are incapable of reading and understanding plain English. IYSWIM?

cheekeymonkey Thu 15-Sep-11 14:18:12

amuminscotland, best not to let SOME men near perishablesgrin.
slave, you are of course right, flying fish ARE awesome, that's why I'm not giving one. I'm keeping them all in my bath.smile

AMumInScotland Thu 15-Sep-11 14:22:41

To be fair, I think he normally uses it as an excuse for "Oh we need to finish these up" rather than throwing them out....

cheekeymonkey Thu 15-Sep-11 14:24:13

Think we might be married to same man? Do you see him on Thursday nights and Saturdays?grin

AMumInScotland Thu 15-Sep-11 14:30:30

Snh! No I've got my one fulltime, so I don't think we're sharing grin

biddysmama Thu 15-Sep-11 14:33:31

if it looks ok and smells ok then we eat it... i have a pack of noodles with best before 1987, i wont eat them!

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 15-Sep-11 14:35:06

Some consumers really are incapable of understanding the difference between best before, use by, sell by, display until etc. A lot will throw things away rather than chance it or trust their own judgement. A few months ago, there was a move to change the wording on medications.... because some couldn't understand things like 'use sparingly'.

Mostly the best befores etc. are used by shops for stock rotation. Why would a pot-plant have a best before? Or a potato? Pre sell-by dates shelf-stackers would often put all the new stuff at the front and leave the old stuff languishing at the back.

cheekeymonkey Thu 15-Sep-11 16:16:44

biddy, think it might be time to 'let go' of the noodles?
I have a Christmas Pudding best before November 1997. Someone told me they get better with age.

Forhet sell by and use by..the only one to look for is the kill by date.

itisnearlysummer Thu 15-Sep-11 17:09:17

It's not you that is "throwing away £50 of food a month" then summer.

Nope, definitely not me! I didn't believe that anyone did until they were the only people they managed to speak to on the lunchtime news! hmm

cheekeymonkey Thu 15-Sep-11 21:04:43

They obviously need to be at home more eating their perishables summergrin

LaWeasel Thu 15-Sep-11 21:17:34

I think it's a bit risky of them.

Since it turns out that food poisoning deaths are going up, most of those deaths are elderly people who, being post-war don't believe in use by dates and don't necessarily follow modern food hygiene/storage rules but also have weaker immune systems...

So in a way simpler would be good from those consumers point of view. Less guidance and more DO NOT eat this after X date, this is a risky product and might not be safe!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now