Talk

Advanced search

to think that the thread police hopping around saying ' this should be in.....section' are not really helping the site to seem welcoming!

(144 Posts)
Northernlurker Thu 15-Sep-11 12:34:02

That's all.

It's jolly annoying.

GypsyMoth Thu 15-Sep-11 12:34:45

Another thread on it?

Northernlurker Thu 15-Sep-11 12:36:02

Yup!

festi Thu 15-Sep-11 12:37:16

I have only seen trillian doing it, is thier others joining this crusade

herbietea Thu 15-Sep-11 12:38:35

Message withdrawn

TrillianAstra Thu 15-Sep-11 12:39:16

Actually approximately half of my posts have been recommending to people that the site will seem more friendly if they don't post a thread in AIBU on a sensitive or upsetting topic (or especially when they end the OP with "please be gentle with me").

festi Thu 15-Sep-11 12:39:35

is, are hmm. self correction before the grammer police join in too

festi Thu 15-Sep-11 12:40:29

that is a good point trillian as so many people do get upset with the AIBU brutality.

VelvetSnow Thu 15-Sep-11 12:40:40

YABU

I like to know the 'script' when joining a new place - what goes where, who knows who cos I'm incredibly nosey and a new person would not even recognise the 'thread police' if everyone stopped starting threads about how annoying it is.

Jeez.

Milsean Thu 15-Sep-11 12:41:24

Its not as annoying as people posting randomly all over the place. I like order and tidyness, the misposting is extremely irritating.

Go Trillian and the TAMPON brigade.

SoupDragon Thu 15-Sep-11 12:42:16

I mentally scream "fuck the fuck off" at them.

festi Thu 15-Sep-11 12:42:36

ha ha at the tamon brigade...im in the dont leave them in the brathroom bin camp. get them in the outside bin ASAP.

PortBlackSandWitchIsThere Thu 15-Sep-11 12:42:45

What does TAMPON stand for ... seems a rather crude acronym <snob>

DreamsOfSteam Thu 15-Sep-11 12:42:49

I don't see the problem. If there is a section for it, post it there. Its not difficult.
It seems lately that absolutly everything is put through AIBU just for the sake of it.

TrillianAstra Thu 15-Sep-11 12:43:08

Someone just asked why...

1 - AIBU is fighty, if someone is upset or says "please be gentle with me" they will get a much nicer response if they are posting in a more appropriate topic.

2 - We have a lot of sections that were once requested but now are very quiet. This is a vicious circle: the more people post things in AIBU that should be in another topic, the quieter the other topics will get, and the more people will post in AIBU because the other topics get no traffic, so there is nothing being posted in those topics, so no-one posts there, etc etc.

3 - Some people seem genuinely unaware that there is, for example, a Movie Reviews or Adult Fiction topic and when they find out they are quite pleased to have a place to browse movie threads or book threads

SoupDragon Thu 15-Sep-11 12:43:37

If you are so concerned at the neatness of the site, surely you think everyone who isn't a mum should be banned, what with it being called Mumsnet. Clearly anyone else is in the wrong place.

TrillianAstra Thu 15-Sep-11 12:43:48

TAMPONS

yes, it is crude

Thread Appropriateness Monitors Promoting Overlooked Non-sexy Sections
(I didn't come up with that, I don't have the imagination)

Northernlurker Thu 15-Sep-11 12:43:51

So the OP posts an upsetting topic and asks people to be gentle and you administer a telling off for posting in the 'wrong' place? Right hmm

Sorry am not impressed

TrillianAstra Thu 15-Sep-11 12:44:09

grin Soupy

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 15-Sep-11 12:44:37

see here for some interesting thoughts on this

SoupDragon Thu 15-Sep-11 12:45:26

"I don't see the problem. If there is a section for it, post it there. Its not difficult."

really? Someone is meant to trawl through the unmanageable list of topics to find the one they think is right? and then, if they accidentally pick one the Police disagree with, they will get jumped on.

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 15-Sep-11 12:46:22

I don't buy that AIBU is full of innocent newbies accidentally posting in the wrong section, not for one minute. Why would they all be in AIBU if that were the case? They'd be all over the shop.

TrillianAstra Thu 15-Sep-11 12:46:45

Show me where I have administered a telling-off in that situation NL?

SoupDragon Thu 15-Sep-11 12:46:49

Trillian, I think you'll find the correct topic for you is "mumsnot". Please try not to stray again, there's a love

wink

PortBlackSandWitchIsThere Thu 15-Sep-11 12:46:56

Ah i see - not so crude and in no way clunky grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now