Talk

Advanced search

to want to end a friendship?

(3 Posts)
Pang Thu 15-Sep-11 12:01:10

I have a friend that I have known for many years, who is incredibly kind but unreliable and very very very needy. I know she has a lot of issues (low self esteem etc), but I feel I have been supporting her emotionally for many years now. I feel I need a break. Her negativity is wearing me down. She phones me often - sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. I don't even speak to my family that often.

I don't want to be mean to her because she is a nice person. But I now feel dread every time the phone rings. How do I end this friendship or at least lessen our contact without hurting her? AIBU and selfish to withdraw from this relationship?

YANBU - some people drain you and after a substantial amount of time it becomes too much.

Just slowly withdraw contact, make yourself unavailable etc. Some people may think that heartless but having had some high maintenance friendships over the last few years I know exactly where you are comding from. In fact, I think your friend and mine are the same person, lol.

manicbmc Thu 15-Sep-11 12:03:28

She sounds a bit of an emotional vampire to me. Have a whole day or so when you are unavailable. She'll find someone else to pester.

I know that sounds a bit harsh but if she's getting you down, I agree you need to step away a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now