Talk

Advanced search

... to be fiercely territorial about my - clearly labelled - allocated parking bay outside my house?

(125 Posts)
PygmyValkyrie Thu 15-Sep-11 10:07:43

I've recently noticed that parents on the school run at the school opposite my house have begun to use my neighbours' parking bays as an overspill for the car park.

The first time it happened, I went out and had a word. The guy apologised but looked completely disinterested, then remained there to make a phone call and smoke a fag whilst eyeballing me through my kitchen window after I'd gone back in. My neighbour then came home to find the guy, finally, just leaving.

I've contacted the school, who said they'd send a text message (really? Is this what goes on these days?) to parents to remind them not to do this, but already I've seen it happen again. Doing what everybody always seems to do in this situations, I took a photograph. I am now the proud owner of a photograph of a stranger's car, that I have no idea what to do with.

I've emailed the council. I doubt they'll help, but I'm fuming and I've got to try something.

Is this the behaviour of a normal person, or am I losing it?

MrSpoc Thu 15-Sep-11 10:09:17

why are you so bothered about someone using your neighburs parking space?

Pootles2010 Thu 15-Sep-11 10:10:38

Do you mean their drives? Are they legally theirs? You're right if so, but no nothing will happy. People will always park in the wrong place outside a school, not a fat lot you can do tbh.

SnakeOnCrack Thu 15-Sep-11 10:10:55

If the parents are sitting in the cars and so can move at a moments notice, I don't think it's much of an issue is it? If they're parking there and leaving the car for more than 2 mins, then yes I can see why it would be annoying.

PygmyValkyrie Thu 15-Sep-11 10:11:14

Because we're all part of the same bays. It could just as easily have been my partner's space.

I'm not always home, either. It could be my space.

ddubsgirl Thu 15-Sep-11 10:11:50

we have same problem here but as theres no yellow lines etc bugger all we can do about it

LaurieFairyCake Thu 15-Sep-11 10:12:07

I too think you should chill a bit and find something else to do grin

They are only there for a short time and they are not interfering with your life - it would be different if you pulled up and some tosser was in your space and refusing to move.

What you could do if you were massively irked is put up clamping signs - or actually band together with the residents and hire a clamping firm.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 15-Sep-11 10:12:55

If you're not home and someone uses it you wouldn't notice confused

as long as they weren't there when you came back.

WorzselMummage Thu 15-Sep-11 10:13:17

It's what, 20 minutes in the morning and the same in the afternoon? I think you need to get a hobby.

BarmyBiscuit Thu 15-Sep-11 10:13:38

I would be fuming as well but things like that angers me. Totally inconsiderate. Yanbu

itisnearlysummer Thu 15-Sep-11 10:14:05

Speak to the governing body. This is something they can get involved with. At both of my children's primary schools they have arranged for the police (either officers or PCSOs) to be a 'presence' outside school at drop off and pick up times.

They serve as a reminder for parents about parking properly and have issued tickets.

However, this only works where the cars are parked illegally.

I do know of a school that prints the make/model/reg number of cars parked inconsiderately but not illegally in the school weekly newsletter.

Might be worth suggesting those.

I agree it is annoying when parents park inconsiderately.

But I suppose it depends whether or not your neighbour needs the space when it is happening or pays for a parking permit.

I'm not sure whether this in particular would annoy me or not.

PygmyValkyrie Thu 15-Sep-11 10:14:06

To explain a little more, the spaces our legally part of the houses. They are private property, although they look like bays more than actual drives. They are also clearly painted with house numbers.

itisnearlysummer Thu 15-Sep-11 10:15:54

Tbh, if I wasn't home it wouldn't bother me. They could park on my drive for all I care! But then I know my neighbours use my drive if they have friends over and we're on holiday to save cluttering up the road. That doesn't bother me.

DizzyKipper Thu 15-Sep-11 10:21:31

YANBU - it's private property, they shouldn't be parking on it, end of.

Pootles2010 Thu 15-Sep-11 10:23:13

I do see where you're coming from OP, parents at pick up are notorious for parking wherever they like, it does drive me crackers.

Not a fat lot you can do though.

rogersmellyonthetelly Thu 15-Sep-11 10:24:46

I hate to point this out, but presumably the school was there when you made a decision to buy/rent the house? It's not rocket science to work out that at school drop off and pick up times lots of people have to park their cars to take their kids into school? As pp have said, it's only 20 minutes morning and night, so really, is it so important? Blocking your driveway is not right, nor is parking on it, but if there are spaces on the street (and i assume not many other places left to park) what do you expect people to do? Park half a mile down the road just so your parking space is left clear on the off chance that you might turn up in that 20 minute window and want to use it?

manicbmc Thu 15-Sep-11 10:24:59

With neighbours, then fair enough, but would anyone really be happy about some stranger using their drive? Why can't the parents park further away and walk a bit?

fanjobanjowanjo Thu 15-Sep-11 10:25:03

YANBU. Those who say you are clearly don't liv near a school. It isn't 20mins, I've seen parents parked for 2 hours, I kid you not.

fanjobanjowanjo Thu 15-Sep-11 10:25:10

*live

Shinyshoes1 Thu 15-Sep-11 10:25:44

get a warden round there to issue tickets. Can you do that?

fanjobanjowanjo Thu 15-Sep-11 10:25:52

I would present the photo to the school, and keep doing the same, keeping a record.

rogersmellyonthetelly Thu 15-Sep-11 10:25:52

Right ok, just read that the spaces are legally yours and not just roadside. In which case, yanbu

Flisspaps Thu 15-Sep-11 10:26:09

If you're that upset about them possibly parking in your space, buy a couple of traffic cones and put them out whenever you leave in your car.

if you're not home it wouldnt affect you so why would you care. We have a lady like this at my sons school.....she waits by her window every school run time and if anyone parks outside her house...which if they pay their road tax they are entitled to do so...she goes out and has a right go at them!! She definately needs to get a life!

Parking on private property if of course another thing but it still sounds like you are giving this too much time...chill a bit and unless you are directly inconvenienced just ignore it. I am sure the school have more pressing things to sort out other than who is parking in your neighbours bay!

cookcleanerchaufferetc Thu 15-Sep-11 10:27:27

If you live near a school then I think you have to put up with the atrocious parking at drop off and collection times. Yes, it is annoying but it will continue. There are people who I see parking in people's driveways, sometimes sticking into the pavement and/or road, blocking driveways, on corners, even double parking, and they don't care. Some parents just dont give a toss about where they park.

All you can do is email the scholl when it happens and ask them to put a note in the next newsletter about parking.

BTW, it would drive me nuts and I would be tempted to block a tosser in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now