Talk

Advanced search

...to ask how much time you spend on MN? And if it 'went down' (for an hour, a week - whatever) WWYD instead?

(31 Posts)
EggsOvaryZee Thu 15-Sep-11 09:56:41

As subject title says really.

LRDTheFeministDragon Thu 15-Sep-11 10:01:00

Too much, and sacrifice goats until it returned. Naturally. HTH.

StrandedBear Thu 15-Sep-11 10:02:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BsshBossh Thu 15-Sep-11 10:07:05

I've already deliberately cut down on Mumsnet. I used to dip in and out during all my work breaks and many an evening after putting DD to bed. Then I got a Kindle and ever since have been reading like a maniac every chance I get smile I've also taken up running 3 times a week and I'm knitting more. It's been quite liberating actually. I think I've cracked my MN addiction smile

BsshBossh Thu 15-Sep-11 10:11:13

Oh, and I'm also trying to write a novel.

Probably feed DD3. May even clean the house. Who knows?

Paschaelina Thu 15-Sep-11 10:11:59

God I would have to do housework sad

GilbonzoTheSecretPsychoCunt Thu 15-Sep-11 10:13:59

I'd have to talk to dh and notice the dcs so don't even suggest such a thing.

YouHaveNoPowerOverMe Thu 15-Sep-11 10:17:18

I don't really notice how much time I spend a MN but I dip in and out through the day on my phone (love the iPhone MN App grin )

Probably too much and if I wasn't here I'd probably have to shock horror play with the kids. blush

RealityVonCrapp Thu 15-Sep-11 10:17:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

weneedabiggerboat Thu 15-Sep-11 10:19:14

I would have to iron shock, at the minute dds are under strict instruction not to take off their school jumper, or I might have to seperate the baby from eating various parts of the furniture.

EggsOvaryZee Thu 15-Sep-11 10:20:09

Meh.

One gals 'too much' is anothers 'not enough'...just wondered about how many hours daily/weekly?

And what do you like to use it for? Giving advice, getting it, having a laugh, favourite threads - what and why?

And this post sounds wanky then I will 'fess up to needing some help on a reseach paper I'm trying to write...

LRD - goats, eh? Ach. Prefer small furry rodents myself. Bloods warmer.

Kladdkaka Thu 15-Sep-11 10:21:23

I roll up in a ball on the floor and cry until it came back on.

DizzyKipper Thu 15-Sep-11 10:25:50

Probably about 30mins a day - I wander in and out, picking the easiest topics to respond to that will require no long-term commitment, make my comment and breeze off again. I'd manage quite happily if MN went down, there's a lot of things out there to do.

SayCoolNowSayWhip Thu 15-Sep-11 10:27:02

What's this 'dipping out ' of MN?! shock

I <heart> my iPhone.

If MN went down I guess I'd have to start parenting and doing housework. <Shudders> Or probably just rock in the corner, dribbling and weeping.

LRDTheFeministDragon Thu 15-Sep-11 10:35:14

Warmer blood, eh? Great.

Actually, I was off MN for a week or so a while back and was pleasantly surprised to find I didn't get a huge amount more done, though the house was a bit cleaner. So now I can pretend I'm not here for hours, honest. grin

EggsOvaryZee Thu 15-Sep-11 10:51:09

Housework?! What's that?

I'm doing this paper, prompted by a section on a form listing (as a tickbox option) "Forums/chat rooms as a '*women's guilty pleasure*' - fucking outraged me.

So, if anyone wants to even gimme more info on what you use MN for, what it means to you, MN vs RL etc...that'd be a massive help...

TotemPole Thu 15-Sep-11 11:02:04

EggsOvaryZee, It isn't just MN and women.

Have a look on the forums on a few other sites such as money saving expert and digital spy. There a plenty of men with big post counts.

JeremyVile Thu 15-Sep-11 11:19:21

Not nearly as much as I used to.

I used to be on here pretty much every day, now its dribs and drabs. If I've got some time to do nothing then it's a toss up between a book and mn - it's about 50/50- the difference is I'm not on here when I really ought to be doing something else.

Before, I would find it hard to drag myself away. I would get very into whatever was going on on here, now I come on when I feel like it, have a look at a few threads that catch my eye and that's that, I certainly don't feel I need to be here anymore.

It's nicer this way, I always had a bit of guilt over my mn habit and I don't need to now.

I probably get less out of it now though, but hey...my house is tidier and I have a firmer arse.

mousesma Thu 15-Sep-11 11:23:25

Too much especially now DD is having a trial at the CMs. This will stop next week when I start back to work.

If I wasn't on mumsnet I'd probably be on twitter or watching tv or doing something equally life enhancing smile

DecapitatedLegoman Thu 15-Sep-11 11:26:34

MN started out as a crutch which supported me through 6 months of colic hell with my first child. A few years down the line and I try to offer support myself now. But mostly it's company and entertainment.

I dip in through the day on my phone when I'm having a cup of tea, using it much like a magazine. If DH is working after the DC are in bed I may get myself a glass of wine and settle down on here for the evening. The only time it's a guilty pleasure is if I've got sucked into a big thread and before I know it half an hour has passed and the DC have eaten the dog food and emptied the DVD rack blush

FreakoidOrganisoid Thu 15-Sep-11 11:36:19

FAR too much. I'm a LP and use it for company a lot of the time, especially when ds is at preschool because I don't really want to be with my friends' children at that time and everyone else is at work blush. I browse a lot; even if I don't really have anything to contribute to a thread I find it fascinating reading other people's POV. It sometimes gets me thinking about things I might not consider otherwise.
However the job hunt is now on so with any luck I will soon have a lot less time to spend on here.

MyMaisyMouse Thu 15-Sep-11 11:53:49

Well, ok seeing as though you asked...

I'm embarrassed to admit that I am on MN for probably 4-6 hours a day most week days. Which now I write it down sounds like an awful lot! Some days I won't be on at all though, so that'd bring my average down I suppose.

I use MN a lot because I am a SAHM with a toddler and a baby, in a new area with only a very few acquaintance type friends. I don't have too much in the way of parental support with regards to advice on my parenting (long story there) and they and other family live too far away to be of any practical help, though I hasten to add they are supportive and loving.

MN is usually my first port of call for parenting help, in the early days for breastfeeding it was invaluable {many thanks to TikTok, forever in her debt, in fact feel teary when I think how grateful to her I am}, it has also been great for sleeping and behaviour issues - the sort of thing where you would normally be able to say to your mum 'did we do that when we were toddlers, is it normal?' I ask on MN.

It also fills a social void in my life at the moment, though I am careful to namechange frequently as I don't want to be recognised or traceable online. Moving to a new area has been hard and I miss the daily interaction I used to have with close friends. Here, if I have spent all morning saying 'if you do that again, you will go on the naughty step' I can then come on here for ten minutes and have a discussion about anything from controlled crying to the merits of the first past the post system in voting. Its an escape and gives me something to ponder whilst I am changing nappies.
I am slowly making new friends, but good close friendships are not often made overnight, so in the meantime MN is my new best friend.

So I come on MN whilst the DC have their afternoon nap and most evenings. It is my hobby I suppose is the best way of putting it and one that just about keeps me sane.

Proudnscary Thu 15-Sep-11 11:58:06

Sometimes an hour a day (popping in and out)

Sometimes not on here for weeks. Sometimes on here for months

Some people clearly live their lives on here - which is fine, we live in a democracy and all that and it's better than an addiction to heroin.

But when those people dish out advice, I often wonder when exactly it is that they operate in the real world.

Proudnscary Thu 15-Sep-11 11:58:34

not on here for months...obviously am not logged in for months at a time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now