Talk

Advanced search

For wanting to tell friend to shut up about his holiday?

(25 Posts)
MadamXx Wed 14-Sep-11 19:01:47

My friend has just booked his very first holiday abroad. He's never been out of the country before so this is a huge deal for him. I've helped him where I can and given advice and info where possible. However he's now going on and on and on about it and IMO going completely OTT with everything.
He's so far bought 3 travel plugs, 3 bottles of high factor sun cream, a guide booklet on the country he's going to, a first aid kit, high security suitcase locks and mosquito nets as well as mosquito repellent and a folder to house his insurance documents etc.

No he's not going to Kenya. He's going to Greece. For one week.

I've told him he's going way OTT but it falls on deaf ears and he's constantly panicking and going over everything and calling the airport and emailing the hotel with various questions etc. It's doing my head in!

I know he's a friend etc but AIBU to tell him to speak to someone else about it now? Every bit of advice I give him he seems to be ignoring anyway and I'm getting bored of the topic.

(I'm not jealous before anyone says it, I have a holiday coming up too).

Cocoflower Wed 14-Sep-11 19:06:26

I know its annoying... but it's quite amusing! Try and see the funny side to stop you going mad.

3 bottles of suncream- I still have mine from 5 years ago... aww!

MadamXx Wed 14-Sep-11 19:07:46

Yes I took ONE bottle to Orlando for 4 people where the heat was reaching well over 40 degrees and by the end of the two weeks it was only half used.

I tried telling him -

Kayano Wed 14-Sep-11 19:10:36

What? Florida, four people and half a bottle on sunscreen?! If anyone is BU it's you!

My god That doesn't seem like enough!!

On the other hand it's his first holiday, just chill out and let him enjoy it! It's not doing you and harm

MadamXx Wed 14-Sep-11 19:12:48

Well, I'm not the most sensible of people admittedly but I still think 3 bottles for one week in Greece for two people is bloody stupid.

Cocoflower Wed 14-Sep-11 19:15:44

What the nets all about? Is he camping?!

MadamXx Wed 14-Sep-11 19:17:48

No Coco he's in a hotel. See what I mean? Next he'll be buying tranquilliser guns for any stray Hyenas wandering the Greek plains.

Cocoflower Wed 14-Sep-11 19:20:09

Maybe suggest he gets hyena tranquilliser... might be quite amusing seeing him trying to get hold of one...

<wicked me!>

MadamXx Wed 14-Sep-11 19:24:43

grin

grabs phone and starts texting

I'm wicked too grin

There was one point where he was asking if he could buy drinks from the shops and take them on the plane. I said he couldn't take liquids through security. So he said:

"But a little carton of Orange will be ok, surely?"
"no, honestly you just can't do that"
"why??"
"You'll be shot immediately"
"WHAT??"

grin

aldiwhore Wed 14-Sep-11 19:25:34

I take nets camping in wales.... I'm a midge magnet. Other than that, YABU to be bored by it all.

Cocoflower Wed 14-Sep-11 19:26:17

Ha ha! Tell him he can only get past customs if he presents them with 7 Greek yoghurts... he he!

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Wed 14-Sep-11 19:26:46

Is this the guy who's going to Greece with his dd next May in the middle of her GCSEs, and you're setting off to the Canary Islands?

If I were you I'd let him get on with filling a suitcase full of stuff that won't be needed en voyage, and I wouldn't mention the small matter of passports.

SquidgyBiscuits Wed 14-Sep-11 19:29:11

What sort of friend gets annoyed at someone for being excited. So he may not use a mosquito net or 3 bottles of sunscreen. Then again he might. So what? If it were my friend I wouldn't be added one way or the other. And I usually take a few bottles of sunscreen on holiday. There are lots of Mosquitos in Greece. We have friends there and whenever we go to visit them I take a whole load of repellent and plug in.

And 1 bottle of sunscreen for 4 people in the Florida sun. Half used. Would you not be better sorting your own life out than bitching about someone else for planning their holiday better?

Cocoflower Wed 14-Sep-11 19:31:57

I thought I took life to seriously! Then I met MN....

MadamXx Wed 14-Sep-11 19:33:58

haha Coco, you took the words right out of my mouth wink

Squidgy, do calm down, you'll do yourself a mischief.

PureBloodMuggle Wed 14-Sep-11 19:48:49

In reality he's probably bringing the right about of sunscreen. Seeing it'd recommended that each person should 2-4oz a day on holidays.

Live and let live - he's excited about going abroad

KittyFane Wed 14-Sep-11 20:34:01

hmm @ Squidgy, do calm down, you'll do yourself a mischief. BTW

You are not using enough sunscreen. He has it about right.

Can't you just share his excitement and not be so jaded and mean?

HellonHeels Thu 15-Sep-11 09:52:55

Somehow I don't really think this is about the sunscreen - but that won't stop me from adding that I would use at least one bottle a week on a sunny holiday. All over coverage in the morning, topping up every few hours or after a swim, you'd get through a bottle or more if you are applying the recommended amount.

ragged Thu 15-Sep-11 10:14:03

The point is They Sell Sunscreen in Greece too.
He's not going to Outer Mongolia is he?
Just count down the days until he's gone, OP wink.

SnakeOnCrack Thu 15-Sep-11 10:57:58

Haha, ah bless him. How old is he? Where abouts in Greece is he heading?

mumofbumblebea Thu 15-Sep-11 11:07:15

is he ginger? we're all gingers in my family and we get through a lot of sun cream!
i've got a friend whos like that as she has just got her first boyfriend, i just nod my head and let her ramble and have a nose at my new dirty jokes app on my phone

freesiaLiliy Thu 15-Sep-11 11:31:54

wait till he gets back then you will get to hear ALL about it [grin[

lesley33 Thu 15-Sep-11 13:11:15

I had a friend who was like this on their first trip abroad. I can understand its irritating...but also quite sweet in a way. My friend went to the GP worried about her ears popping on the flight. The GP told her to suck a boiled sweet! She rang me to ask what boiled sweet I thought would be best for her to buy.

I think YABU to tell him not to talk to you about it anymore. Okay he is OTT but he is also genuinely worried about going abroad.

IMO good friends should support each other through times of anxiety and worry, even if you think there is absolutely no need for it. But as he isn't listening to advice I would stop giving him any. Just listen to him and give him some reassurance.

cornflowers Thu 15-Sep-11 13:14:36

Aw... He sounds sweet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now