Talk

Advanced search

To be nervous of DDs primary's "Online learning platform"

(15 Posts)
MumblingRagDoll Wed 14-Sep-11 17:22:35

DD is in year 3 and at a new school...she and her class are about to be given access to online learning.

It involves all kinds of things like them putting their work online in a portfolio and their teachers and peers can see it....they can also email and intstant message one another.

I am scared! Isn't this a bit much for 7 year olds?

AIBU and dinosaur-like?

We've just come to the school (state) from a private prep whch was lovely but stuck in the dark ages...so maybe we've been out of the loop?

belgo Wed 14-Sep-11 17:23:55

It's just the world we live in. Although I would prefer they learnt to write before they can type!

MumblingRagDoll Wed 14-Sep-11 17:27:24

Yes....I suppose thats why they begin it in year 3....supposing they can all write well by then! My DD certainnly can't!

Akandra Wed 14-Sep-11 17:29:10

Don't worry about it - your child will soon pick it up. Computer skills can only enhance her learning and her prospects as she gets older. I am guessing it scares you because you don't understand it? If so sit down with her and get her to show it to you. She will likely love doing that and explaining it will help her grasp it better.

MumblingRagDoll Wed 14-Sep-11 17:33:19

I'm not scared she wont pick it up Akandra but that there's too much of a social aspect to it.

Why do 7 year olds need to IM one another?

ObiWan Wed 14-Sep-11 17:36:03

I think I can see why it bothers you.
My eldest is on Club Penguin etc. all the time, but is not allowed to send/receive messages, and does not have an email account.

I suppose the fact that it's school based will mean that there is a degree of control over what is sent and received.

I think that uploading homework (or downloading it when absent) is pretty normal now.

MumblingRagDoll Wed 14-Sep-11 17:37:35

Yes....it says that the hings they send are all open to teachers and content is checked several times a day. Is this a normal thing in state schools now then? I never considered it really...

TotemPole Wed 14-Sep-11 17:38:08

Why do 7 year olds need to IM one another?

They don't really, I don't know why they have that.

noblegiraffe Wed 14-Sep-11 17:38:26

It's not like they're being let loose on facebook is it? I can't imagine they'll be using it outside of a classroom situation so it'll be supervised and everything that happens on it will be recorded. It's a safe way of getting to know how to use this sort of software.

MumblingRagDoll Wed 14-Sep-11 17:41:22

They have a password noble and can use it at any time...I just imagine them chatting etc...its not only for classroo use.

noblegiraffe Wed 14-Sep-11 17:43:14

So you'll be letting her use it at home?

Their access to computers is controlled. The system is controlled. What do you think will happen?

And what if they do chat? Why is that bad?

ObiWan Wed 14-Sep-11 17:43:56

Is it a new system? I can't imagine that they'd have the time to check the thing thoroughly several times a day.

I'd really dislike the fact that it has the potential to bring school 'issues' home, catty comments and the like.

I don't know how common the messaging component is, I have never encountered it.

slavetofilofax Wed 14-Sep-11 17:44:15

My ds has this, I think it's really good.

Meteorite Wed 14-Sep-11 17:50:10

Nothing wrong with a small amount of access to computers, to gain a basic idea of how to use them. But computers can definitely not replace decent teaching by a human being and learning alongside others. How much time do they spend on this?

roundtable Wed 14-Sep-11 18:03:38

I'd be very surprised if it had IM. I set up the learning platform at my school and the chn have to sign an appropriate use agreement. If they don't adher, then they can't have access to it outside of school and supervision of a teacher. I also get anything 'dodgy' flagged up on my account.

One of the children wrote about a shit which went to my account. On discussion with the child, it turned out he was trying to write sheet, which did actually fit in with the context! grin

It's supposed to introduce the children to being online in a responsible way but without giving them too much freedom and with monitoring. It's usually linked to homework, extending learning outside of schools etc. Not children spending all day sitting behind a computer. They would be taught how to use it during ICT lessons which they should be having anyway. These lessons should also be teaching children about Esafety (how to keep safe online) I would often put on online games/research to support what we have been learning about at school.

Computers are here to stay and we'd only be disadvantaging children if we pretended they didn't exist. They need to learn how to use them responsibly and in order to support their learning.

I'm more worried about the amount of underage children on Facebook with no privacy settings in some very inappropriate poses that are out there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now