Talk

Advanced search

To feel bad for getting a way with it

(7 Posts)
ramblingmum Wed 14-Sep-11 13:42:02

On Sunday morning I was backing out of my drive and totally failed to see a car parked across the road untill I hit it, causing a large dent in the front wing. I was distracted, dd1 was shouting and dd2 was crying, but that is no excuss.
I did not reconise the car and the neighbours next door did not know it either. It was parked between two houses opposit but their was no one in at either house, so I left a note. I sealed it in a plastic bag and put it under the windscreen wiper.
Their was no sign of the owner on Monday. On Tuesday morning I looked out and realised that the note had gone, it had been a very windy night. I finished getting dds dressed and wrote a new note but by the time we got out of the house the car had gone.
I have asked some more neighbours this morning but they didn't whos car it was either. We live on a cul-de-sac in a village so it would be strange for someone to park here for a couple of days unless they were visiting.
The thing is someone did the same to my car not long ago in the nursery car park and I was very greatful to them for sorting it out.
Is there anything else I should do?

Tanif Wed 14-Sep-11 13:44:12

Don't suppose you jotted down the registration plate, did you? If you did you could report it to the police and ask them to contact the owner.

ramblingmum Wed 14-Sep-11 13:46:24

No I didn't think of that untill it had gone

marge2 Wed 14-Sep-11 13:47:02

You may still hear something, it's early days. If you don't, I wouldn't feel in the least bit guilty - you did everything you needed to.

DoingMyVeryBest Wed 14-Sep-11 13:47:20

I think you've done about as much as you can really! If it is a friend of a neighbour I'm sure they'll be in touch soon - you've spread the word that it was you and you're willing to pay.

Very strange place to park if it's not a neighbour or visitor though.

SeymoreButts Wed 14-Sep-11 13:59:46

You have a duty to report it to the police within 24 hours if you were not able to give your details at the scene of the accident. That's all you can do now.

slavetofilofax Wed 14-Sep-11 14:10:31

Whoever owned the car may have taken the note off themselves and still left the car there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now