Talk

Advanced search

To ask if that something should be done over this girl stealing from dd?

(8 Posts)
messymammy Tue 13-Sep-11 22:33:56

Before the Summer a little girl in dd1's (6) class took her pencil case and refused to give it back and took it home. It had all of dds new markers in it that she got for her birthday (neither here nor there but maybe reason for taking it?) The girl "forgot" to bring it back before Summer despite the teacher talking to her grandfather.

So as soon as school started I reminded dd to ask her for it back. Again ( 2weeks now) she has "forgotten". Last week I met her parents in the yard and told her about the "mix up" and could they look at home. They didn't apologise, said they have so much colours at home, they wouldn't know if their dc had it etc. All very blasé, which I found strange as if it were my dd I would be apologising and offering a replacement if it couldn't be found...

Today I talked to the new teacher and she asked the little girl to bring it back tomorrow and told me if it was forgotten again she would bring it up with the head. But what happens next? Like am I unreasonable asking for something to be done? Dp reckons it's gone on too long and the school will never reprimand the girl for stealing it. But I feel dd should get a replacement and an apology...gah! Any thoughts appreciated smile

Sorry for the essay!

PeneloPeePitstop Tue 13-Sep-11 22:35:29

No, not U.
I wouldn't involve the school but I would be asking for replacement from the family.

nailak Tue 13-Sep-11 22:45:11

if it happened at school why not et them involved?

messymammy Tue 13-Sep-11 22:47:42

Well I did approach the parents, but they didn't seem bothered, infact seemed mystified as to why I was telling them this.
I also think it's not just about dd getting what is hers back, but this little girl needs to know it's not ok to steal and her parents don't seem like they will impart this knowledge.

PeneloPeePitstop Tue 13-Sep-11 22:49:32

I think the time has passed for this to be dealt with as a school issue. I do still however think it's important that the parents know you expect your dd's possessions to be returned.

FabbyChic Tue 13-Sep-11 22:49:35

I doubt it will be found now. I'd ensure in future you write inside the pencil case if lost return to blah blah.

The girl stole it, when you approached the parents you should not have used the word borrow but said she TOOK it and it has not been returned and you WANT it replaced.

It's gone now you won't see it again.

A1980 Tue 13-Sep-11 22:49:47

Meh! It happened to me at school once instead it was a watch which with respect is more valuable than a pencil case and marker pens. I never got it back.

TBH the summer holiday has passed, you have to ask yourself how long are you prepared to draw it out for over a pencil case. I'm not condoning it, I would want it back or a replacement bought but there's a limit to how long you can carry on. If they wont give you it back or buy another one, the school may ger involved but probably won't. The teracher has already spoke to a family member which hasn't worked. It isnt a police matter so there's nohting you can do.

I would just leave it tbh. Bloody annoying tho it is.

messymammy Tue 13-Sep-11 22:56:06

Yes A1980, that is dp's view too

Fabby all of dd's things are very clearly labelled, I am a bit anal about doing it. Maybe I'm more annoyed about it as it's clear it is dd's iyswim? There is no confusion about it. I also never said "borrow". I was clear about saying a "mix up" as I didn't want to out and out say she stole it, but did say that dd wanted it back as it was a gift and would they look for it.

Think you are all right, I need to say to parents again will they be replacing it if it not found this week and then just let it go no matter what the result.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now