Talk

Advanced search

Do you get Tesco points if you buy the DM from there?

(24 Posts)
Jux Tue 13-Sep-11 19:44:09

DH just bought a multi-pack of fags from Tesco thus saving us a load of dosh (which we had already spent on stuff from Tesco). I proffered my Tesco card. No, they don't give points for fags.

Why not? They sell the bloody things. If they don't approve of people buying them then they shouldn't be selling them. I get points for everything else we buy there, even the DM (not that we do buy the DM but I assume I would get points if we did grin).

bytheMoonlight Tue 13-Sep-11 19:51:27

do they offer points out on alcohol? That's a legal drug as well.

Honeydragon Tue 13-Sep-11 19:51:57

Nowtto do with tescos, no where will give you any promotion on cigarettes, same as infant formula ..... How depressing they are considered the same.

You can get them on booze. Give up cigs and get pissed a lot? grin

Bogeyface Tue 13-Sep-11 19:52:43

You'd save even more money if he quit!

Honeydragon Tue 13-Sep-11 19:53:16

Yes but you can promote and advertise alcohol it is unlawful to promote nicotine.

Stormwater Tue 13-Sep-11 19:53:24

Yabu, as this should be in Chat.

Honeydragon Tue 13-Sep-11 19:54:40

Sorry you can't advertise cigs in the media, or reduce them or offer free gifts.

nannyl Tue 13-Sep-11 20:19:36

its not just fags

you dont get points for baby formular or postage stamps.

clubcard points are a bonus that tesco choose (or are "allowed") to give you for some most of your shopping basket, but you have no right to them, and they are not allowed to promote some stuff anyway, so if you buy it then fine, but dont feel like you have a right to have clubcard points as well.

freybean Tue 13-Sep-11 20:19:51

you don't get points for formula, fags, lotto and stamps

Bogeyface Tue 13-Sep-11 22:33:12

Just typed a post about points and formula, then realised WTF I was doing and deleted!

I havent had a glass of anything either, I must be tired!

Jux Wed 14-Sep-11 19:38:09

You get points for fags at the Co-op, though. (DH will never give up, so no point even thinking about it).

I think it's outrageous that baby formula is treated the same as fags.

Stormwater, you are absolutely right. I apologise and have completely changed my mind about where my thread is positioned. grin

Catsmamma Wed 14-Sep-11 19:44:10

You don't get co op points for fags

T&C

Jux Sun 18-Sep-11 16:37:37

My local co-op gives points for fags, really honestly truly.

Honeydragon Sun 18-Sep-11 16:39:35

They are dividend from profit margins as you are a "shareholder", not promotional points though smile

Honeydragon Sun 18-Sep-11 16:42:00

At least I think as I was surprised to get some when I bought cigs for dh, I assumed it was the dividend thingy.

ImperialBlether Sun 18-Sep-11 17:24:08

Just out of interest, OP, how much is spent on cigarettes in a week in your house?

Jux Sun 18-Sep-11 23:31:37

Just out of interest, ImperialBlether, why do you want to know?grin

Jux Sun 18-Sep-11 23:37:36

Honeydragon, you're right, but you still get them for fags; presumably they could make a case for not doing so, but they don't.

Anyway, now I know it's not some holier than thou hypocritical attitude on the part of Tesco's, and I ( rather regretfully though) deem them innocent.

Honeydragon Mon 19-Sep-11 07:25:10

jux grin

You wouldn't get points for the dm either, it's £1 to qualify fur points and the dm is 55 pence wink

ImDaveandsoismywife Mon 19-Sep-11 07:32:53

I'm sure you get nectar points for cigs at Sainsbos... that's why DH buys them there!

Someonesnotinbed Mon 19-Sep-11 07:33:33

YABU

ImperialBlether Mon 19-Sep-11 19:51:15

I wanted to know because I was going to work out how many points you'd get if you did get points!

I'm not labouring under the illusion that you or your husband (whoever the cigarettes are for) will stop smoking if I have a sharp intake of breath!

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 19-Sep-11 19:55:57

tesco gives green points for fags, as you don't have a carrier bag

Jux Mon 19-Sep-11 23:02:42

Sorry, ImperialBlether. I think on that occasion, as it was a multi-pack, it cost about £26.00. I'm not sure I want to try to work out his total cost per week/month/year, as I don't really want to know, it might make me cry!

AuntiePickleBottom, they didn't give us anything. I offered the card and the woman just shook her head and said they don't give points on cigarettes. She didn't say anything about Green Points, and we have a re-usable tesco bag for which we paid a hundred years ago, and we use boxes they're throwing away.

Cheeky mares. I wonder how many green points we've lost altogether. I think I might complain grin

Oh and dh lost our nectar card a long time ago; and Sainsbo's is so far away that we'd use up far too much petrol getting there and back to make it worth it. We have a paucity of supermarkets [waaaaaaiiiilll]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now