Talk

Advanced search

is she being a liberty or do I need to get out more?

(18 Posts)
Deflatedballoonbelly Tue 13-Sep-11 16:41:09

Sophie Dahl, the MILLIONAIRE! Is asking for people to donate £500,000. for RD's shed. Im all for preserving it, but surely she can pay for it, or his royalties?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/sep/13/roald-dahl-fund-hut

KittyFane Tue 13-Sep-11 17:14:45

I thought the same OP sad

Stormwater Tue 13-Sep-11 17:21:09

My dh says he'll happily move it for 50k. It's madness, how can it cost that much, and why can't they pay anyway!

squeakytoy Tue 13-Sep-11 17:23:57

She should pretend to write a few more cook books or pout and pose her way round a kitchen in front of a camera and then she could pay for it herself..

Cant stand the woman!

manicbmc Tue 13-Sep-11 17:25:32

She could get a nice new one from Argos for a few hundred grin

KittyFane Tue 13-Sep-11 17:26:06

Ditto squeaky! Not keen on Jamie whateverhisnameis husband either sad

bibbitybobbityhat Tue 13-Sep-11 17:26:38

DH and I snorted at this when we heard it on the radio this morning. I literally cannot believe the cheek of it.

Having had very close contact with the income of the Estate of Roald Dahl and knowing that the sale of his books and all the associated rights worldwide still generates huge, colossal, immense amounts of money ... I am frankly DISGUSTED. I honestly am.

freybean Tue 13-Sep-11 17:29:26

i thought the same when i saw it on the news this morning

ChristinedePizan Tue 13-Sep-11 17:31:51

Yes I have to say that I hope the bloody thing falls down before they manage to raise the money. Are there really any children who want to see the shed he wrote in? I think most of them would think it rather dull. If they want to give it to the nation, lovely, but don't ask us to pay for the sodding thing.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Tue 13-Sep-11 17:42:19

I haven't seen the news report, but can confirm, my DD would love to see his shed.
She saw it on Blue Peter and it immediately went on her wish list of things to do and see when we moved to England.
I do think she's having a laugh though, she could find that knocking around the bottom of her handbag.

Pang Tue 13-Sep-11 17:51:55

Wow asking for that amount of money - that's a bit rich! grin. Oh yeah, they are and obviously intend to stay that way.

PonceyMcPonce Tue 13-Sep-11 17:55:30

You know, I think I would die of shame if I was that brass necked.

I daresay the rights were gifted as part of his will, but i don't suppose the family are surviving in min wage. I am!

Nor do I think the pleasure that so many children gain from hsi books, will be in any way diminished if the shed stays where it is.

Nice idea, but children in this world need clean drinking water, which imo is a better legacy.

ChristinedePizan Tue 13-Sep-11 17:59:53

I stand corrected then rip - must just be the kids I know who think that sort of thing is boring grin

I also find it hugely ironic that he wouldn't let anyone into his shed during his lifetime, especially not his grandchildren, and now they are flogging it for the world's children to bounce about on the sofa. And that's what it is really isn't it, flogging it to people. If they think the nation's children would benefit, give it to them.

After following the links from the article www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/may/23/writers.rooms.roald.dahl, you have to wonder if he'd want the shed in a museum anyway.

But the family must have more than enough money to cover the move themselves if it is that important to them.

Andrewofgg Tue 13-Sep-11 20:27:15

She is but you should. Sod her and enjoy life.

DontGoCurly Tue 13-Sep-11 20:42:08

Fucking hell, what a deluded moon faced baubel !

Cringing for her!

PeneloPeePitstop Tue 13-Sep-11 21:39:51

Well..... it is kind of national literary heritage but how the very fuck would it cost half a mill to fix a shed?

BendyBob Tue 13-Sep-11 21:57:07

Lol glad to see people thought the same as me about 500k hutgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now