Talk

Advanced search

to be waking up in a state of panic because teacher has lost a years worth of work

(16 Posts)
badgerbrisket Tue 13-Sep-11 06:20:15

Last year I did my first of 2 years of an access course, I handed all my Maths work in at the end of term and my maths teacher told me he would give it back in September, he resigned in the summer holidays, this work had not been marked so there's no record of it and I have no time this year to repeat it as I also work full time.
I've now had 2 sleepless nights about it as I'm applying for uni at the moment and if I don't have Maths they wont even look at me. sad
Anyone else experienced similar, what do I do?

troisgarcons Tue 13-Sep-11 06:45:52

Hindsight is a wonderful thing - always copy your work but it's a bit late for that.

The exam board has procedures in place for these eventualities. Your first year should be graded at your current working standard.

Why havent you taken advice from whoever is running the course? that should be your first port of call - preferably the new course leader, followed by the exams office at the college.

cjbartlett Tue 13-Sep-11 06:50:51

Yes you need to sort it out with your new maths teacher

HairyGrotter Tue 13-Sep-11 07:01:46

I did an access course and it was poorly organised, terrible really considering. However, I'd be jumping up and down about it, and would be calling, bothering, harassing the course leader and my tutor every moment of every day. This isn't your fault, although you should always make copies, the tutors should be looking at ways of resolving this.

badgerbrisket Tue 13-Sep-11 07:17:37

With my other subjects, it's easy to make copies as it's all done on computer this was just a series of work sheets, next time I'll scan everything, hard lesson learnt though, I have spoken to my tutor (the only teacher left from last year) he has been very vague about it and says he hasn't tried looking yet, I want to make a complaint to the principle but its all so stressful, does anyone know my rights? Will I really have to resit the whole year?

HairyGrotter Tue 13-Sep-11 07:24:09

I would again speak to the tutor, explain that you are going to escalate the complaint to the principle if they don't make more of an effort to find the work. How difficult were the worksheets? You need the maths element to pass the course, I did my maths GCSE alongside the access course.

I really would be jumping up and down about this, give them a boot up the arse and MAKE them start looking for the missing work.

Your college should have an exams officer. If your maths tutors aren't taking you seriously then track down him/her and see what they can do. You shouldn't be penalised for someone else's mistake.

notherdaynotherdollar Tue 13-Sep-11 08:09:51

principal

SuchProspects Tue 13-Sep-11 08:30:49

Badger You won't have to redo the year. If the college can't find the work the exam board will have procedures in place to estimate your marks for it.

Try to stop panicking. But do have a real go at the way your college are handling this (i.e. complain to the head and maybe the board of governors) , they sound horribly disorganized. They should have let you all know right at the beginning what their process was for getting everything sorted out.

ChaoticAngeloftheUnderworld Tue 13-Sep-11 11:44:24

Your tutor needs to start looking not just fobbing you off hmm

Speak to them again and tell them you'll be putting in a formal complaint if they don't start taking this seriously, as they don't seem to be atm.

badgerbrisket Tue 13-Sep-11 19:15:25

Thank you so much everyone, my tutor has emailed the old teacher and is waiting for a reply, also the Maths teacher who is left was helpful today saying he would look in this cupboard in the maths dept, just seeing someone care was all I wanted -it was their initial lackluster attitude that made me feel so powerless.

I have been waking up in a state of stress and anxiety about it, Maths is not my strong point and I can not squeeze another thing in to my massively busy schedule, I hadn't budgeted for this,
thanks everyone.

NotTheBlinkingGruffaloAgain Thu 29-Sep-11 20:14:16

Dear maths teacher

I hope you are well, a few students at College were upset that you're not here teaching this year,

I am writing to explain to you the implications of my OCN math's work from last year being lost.

Towards the end of the summer term, I, like the other students in the class, handed you a pile of work of which I had completed through out the course of the year for my OCN maths, I left this on your table in the math class room and asked you when I would receive it back, you told me that 'as I was part time I would get it back in September marked and anything outstanding I could complete this year'.

All the work in this pile was the tests which you had marked, including the end of summer term test which I took and also passed, all the marks were there with "well done" written at the top, as I had passed all of them, the only thing you had not marked was the assignment about data collection methods which took me a lot of time, you told me that you would look at it and give it back to me if there were any gaps, again mentioning that as I'm a part time student, I could complete any thing outstanding next term (September)

I left this work on your table in trust that if not marked it would at least be kept safe.

You had asked me to keep hold of all my marked tests then hand them to you at the end of the year- I did this and now they've been lost.

I then arrive back to college this term to find that my Math's work for a whole year which I left on a pile on the table in your class desk had been lost and now I have discovered that you have emailed my tutor to tell him that I didn't pass, this is not true and you must be able to understand that I want to see evidence of this by having my work back and being allowed to rectify any potential gaps in this assignment.

the math's teacher, who I spoke to today with my tutor present said that: "your previous maths teacher must have known that you were working at a level that wasn't worthy of a pass" you have to understand how frustrating this is for me, while I thought my maths was behind me and I could concentrate on my other subjects and UCAS this year.

The reason I chose to take the course on, on a part time basis was because I work long hours outside of college to support myself, by telling my tutor I didn't pass, it has now been suggested to me that I retake the OCN tests this year, which I would be happy to do if I physically had the time to do it and if my work, which you had marked last year all at passes, would be returned to me.

If my math's isn't acknowledged, I will not be accepted into University next year as planned, deeming this whole two years worth of study worthless with regards to my security and goals.

It has been proposed to me by the new math teacher that I sit the tests again but they're on different topics this year and without the allocated time or resources to study for them, I may not meet the grades which I had already achieved last year.

I did try to find you before the end of term but you were on strike.

I am so upset by this and have been having sleepless nights, please understand my position and anything you can do to help me please do, even admitting that you have lost the work will help me with what seems like a very stressful battle,

I think the way it has been passed on to me has been said harshly, as I know you are a good guy and a great teacher who wouldn't wish this situation on me, but please before just saying that I didn't pass, re-consider what you're saying as it's become very disruptive to this already very stressful year ahead for me.

In a nut shell: all I want is my work back, so that if there are gaps I know where they are and instead of repeating a whole year, I can as proposed by your self, take the opportunity from the fact that I'm a part time student to finish any remaining bits off this year. All that I'm objecting to is not having my work given back since when did a student just get vicariously told they have failed through an email without any documentation to support that?

If it this not remedied in some way, I will have no choice but to send these facts to the principal of the college and take this matter from there.

regards,

nottheblinkinggruffaloagain

--

NotTheBlinkingGruffaloAgain Thu 29-Sep-11 20:15:45

I am badger brisket by the way just fancied a name change.. do you think this letter will help or hinder me thanks so much if you can get through it Im just deciding whether or not to send it to either his college email or o his personal email address? Thanks

ZombiePlan Thu 29-Sep-11 20:22:37

I think I'd be more concise. The more you say, the more likely it is that the key point will get lost in there. I would just state that (1) he has the work, (2) the college don't have a proper, formal mark for your work and (3) insist that the work be returned to you by a set deadline so you can pass on to the college and get a proper mark (and state that you'll contact the college principal if not returned by that date). CC your new tutor as well. BTW, it's a bloody disgrace... how f'ing disorganised!

NotTheBlinkingGruffaloAgain Fri 30-Sep-11 08:07:54

Thank's I posted on another thread education and someone has taken the emotive tone out of it for me and reduced it by two thirds! Thanks for your help, it really is disorganized isn't it.

IDrinkFromTheirSkulls Fri 30-Sep-11 08:13:23

One of my teachers lost my coursework before they marked it and I was given a grade equal to my current standard of class work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now