Talk

Advanced search

To think dd1 should be able to bring home books from school

(35 Posts)
dealer Mon 12-Sep-11 22:00:25

Dd1 loves books, has tons at home, and reads all the time. We often go to the library.

She's now in year 5. Towards the beginning of y3 a school reading book went missing. She has mild sn and isn't very good at organising herself, so I'm fairly good at checking her bookbag for stuff. On the day in question I definitely put the book in her bag in the morning and there was no book when she came home.

I didn't worry about it for about a week, thinking they'd probably issue a new one soon, but she came home saying the teacher kept telling her to find it at home. I spoke to the teacher saying we'd never seen the one they said we had. They asked if it was possible dd1 had taken it out before I'd seen it, I said unlikely but I'd check. I asked if it was possible that someone, maybe one of the TAs had accidentally put it back instead of issuing it, they said no impossible.

So I gutted the house, and couldn't find it. I've never lost a school or library book before. The school insisted I should pay for it. I didn't want to do this, and asked if i could gift a lovely children's encyclopedia to the school instead (duplicate present). They were very happy with this. But then still insisted she couldn't take home any more books until the original book was found

I was fed up by this point, so just sort of shrugged and thought oh well, we'll just use the library more.

Except for, now our library is closing, and the next closest is 10 miles away. There's no way I can afford to buy books, with the rate she gets through them.

I think it's really unreasonable of the school to still hold this line after 2 years. Dd1 is on their sn register and needs additional help in lots of areas, and loads of different TAs used to see her, I'm certain that's how the book's been mislaid. It seems totally unreasonable to me that a sn child is being denied access to books over a mixup 2 years ago.

sparkle12mar08 Mon 12-Sep-11 22:02:41

They're essentially denying her access to the resources and curriculum, especially if the nooks are used to support in-school learning too. Contact Ofsted and see what their oppinion is, then contact the board of Governors.

ColdToast Mon 12-Sep-11 22:04:54

YANBU. If they were happy to accept the encyclopedia as payment then that should be the end of the matter. It's ridiculous to punish a child for something that happened 2 years ago.

ramblingmum Mon 12-Sep-11 22:06:01

This does seem totally over the top. Surely she is not the first or last child to loose a book, sn or no sn. She sould be getting the same chance at an education as the other children and that includes bringing home reading books

slavetofilofax Mon 12-Sep-11 22:08:19

They are being very unreasonable, but I think you should have paid to replace the book that was lost as they asked you too.

Our school must lose loads of books, because they have a no questions asked book amnesty at the end of every term. I assumed that books going missing was fairly standard for school libraries, so I'm shocked that they are being so strict at your school. Most of the parents will replace any lost books though, and buy a few from the schools list when the dc leave at the end of Y6.

eandemum Mon 12-Sep-11 22:10:14

I'll add my tuppenceworth as a school librarian.
This happens at least once a week!

As far as I am concerned because you have provided another book which the school accepted the matter is closed and your DD should be able to borrow books as usual.

If a student loses a book I give the alternatives - replace or pay £7 for a replacement (but will usually compromise) BUT the MOST important thing is to get it sorted out as soon as possible.

Good Luck!

aldiwhore Mon 12-Sep-11 22:10:24

YANBU and I'd be fuming. I would kick up a very patient, calm, stubborn stink.

dealer Mon 12-Sep-11 22:10:42

I don't see why I shoud pay for a book I've never seen, and don't believe it ever came home.

That's why I offered the encyclopedia, which is worth much more than the reading scheme book.

balancingfigure Mon 12-Sep-11 22:16:00

YANBU I'm shocked the school can do that. angry for you

Sirzy Mon 12-Sep-11 22:20:16

I would complain in writing to the govenors sounds like the school are being very petty

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 12-Sep-11 22:23:06

i would be asking for the book you offered back tbh

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 13-Sep-11 03:25:42

2 YEARS. That is awful. Complain and make a fuss. I am appalled.

sleepevader Tue 13-Sep-11 04:09:59

I wouldn't be happy either! Time to complain higher.

Cereal Tue 13-Sep-11 08:00:32

YANBU. They can't prove you lost the book. Of course it's not impossible that someone put it back by mistake!

dealer Tue 13-Sep-11 17:11:00

Happened to see the head today, who not only held the line they're taking, but managed to give me grief for the fact that dd1 always does poorly in her comprehension tests because of course she hasn't had chance to read the books.

She said that if I returned the book then dd1 would be able to participate better which would be beneficial for her. Because clearly I didn't know that.

I pointed out that I had paid in kind, which she agreed, but said that dd1 would not be able to borrow further books until the original was returned, regardless of whether I paid any further money (not that I was offering).

If I was annoyed before, I'm hopping mad now.

sleepevader Tue 13-Sep-11 17:15:01

I would be furious too. Take it to the LEA, governors and MP. Shame the school into seeing sense.

Idiots

hocuspontas Tue 13-Sep-11 17:17:27

Why is your child still there? If what you have described is true I wouldn't be having anything more to do with them. And I would have done something about it within a few months.

megapixels Tue 13-Sep-11 17:17:27

How ridiculous. DD1 lost a book in Year 1 and, four years on, I have yet to find it. The teacher said it happens and to just return it when it eventually turns up. The school is being, well not OTT but more like plain stupid.

cansu Tue 13-Sep-11 17:19:28

whilst I think you should just have paid up for the book originally, it is absolute madness to continue to be punishing your dd for this and at the same time be affecting her ability to make progress at school. I would put this in writing to the governors, making it clear that you have made a contribution by buying a book for the library and that your daughter needs access to school books. What do the school do when families say they can't afford to replace lost books?

dealer Tue 13-Sep-11 17:20:41

No choice on school, it's in a village and there's no way we could get to a different one. Hence, I've done a fair bit of tiptoeing around problems over the years.

QuickLookBusy Tue 13-Sep-11 17:20:56

I would be so so annoyed.

You need to make an appointment to see the HT. If she doesn't agree to let your DD take books home tell her you are taking it to the goveners.

dealer Tue 13-Sep-11 17:23:22

That's what I originally said, that I couldn't afford it. Along with fact that I'd never seen it, and it hadn't been home.

The encyclopedia is such a lovely one that it is displayed on one of those 'book-holdy' things as you enter the library.

hopingtobe Tue 13-Sep-11 17:28:17

Sorry but this is outrageous (and I speak as a teacher)!!! I honestly can't believe it [shocked]. Yes it happens. No it's not ideal but to deny your dd of reading books is just awful.

YADNBU.

fairyqueen Tue 13-Sep-11 17:31:00

I work in an education library and lost books are par for the course. We invoice the borrower, they are paid for, and then the borrower is free to lose another one! Any other course of action would be denying education resource to people who are entitled to them, and could lead to repercussions on us. Library budgets should take account of lost books. You have been treated appallingly, and should fight this as hard as you can.

diabolo Tue 13-Sep-11 17:36:25

I manage the Library in a middle school.

If a child loses or damages a book, they are banned from using the library but only until the book is either returned, or a contribution of £3 is made towards a new book.

You clearly contributed an equivalent (the encyclopedia), so, if you were at my school, all would be fine again and you'd get a little note saying thank you and normal service had been resumed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now