Talk

Advanced search

MIL rant - how come when the kids are good at something they get it from dh?

(22 Posts)
Wallace Mon 12-Sep-11 16:12:29

Was chatting to MIL and I was telling her that ds2 (age 5) did 6 lengths (60 metres) on his back when I took him swimming yesterday.

Her reply? "He must get that from his dad - he was a very strong swimmer"

So nothing to do with the fact that I have been taking him swimming every week (sometimes twice) for years. And in that whole time dh has come with us once. I won't even mention that i happen to be a good swimmer and used to swim for the school hmm

Crosshair Mon 12-Sep-11 16:22:42

I wouldnt take it personally, Im sure she didnt mean to be disrespectful to you. I think its the sort of comments most parents/grandparents come out with without giving much thought too.

Crosshair Mon 12-Sep-11 16:23:28

*to

DeWe Mon 12-Sep-11 18:14:58

With dd1 mil used to see everything as someone on her side. I remember particularly holding a hand out to take her hand, and to avoid it she put both her hands behind her back. MIL promptly exclaimed "oh bil2 used to walk around like that all the time". I pointed out she didn't, it was just her way of saying she wanted to walk independently of me. Her response. "He did that too." hmm

usualsuspect Mon 12-Sep-11 18:17:36

yabu

Some MILs can't say anything can they ,without their DILs taking it the wrong way and getting the arse about it

TheFallenMadonna Mon 12-Sep-11 18:25:27

I reckon you'll think it too when you have grandchildren!

Andrewofgg Mon 12-Sep-11 18:26:35

Wallace* Of course when you're a MIL you'll be quite different, won't you :

Katisha Mon 12-Sep-11 18:27:51

Don't take it personally. She doesn't know your childhood - she only knows her own son's and his siblings. That's all she's got to go on. It's good that she is proud of them and your DS - don't turn it into point scoring.

ddubsgirl Mon 12-Sep-11 18:54:19

bah ive had that too anything good must be from in laws side,anything naughty/bad must be from my side grrhhhh

TrillianAstra Mon 12-Sep-11 19:00:08

You haven't asked an "Am I Being Unreasonable?" question.

Just saying.

HowlingBitch Mon 12-Sep-11 19:12:16

Tillian,

Everytime I see you correcting people on this I always think you are trying to impress MN moderators so much that they will give you a job.

Is this why you are doing it?

Backtobedlam Mon 12-Sep-11 19:27:18

YANBU....it's annoying especially if it's in the context of ongoing criticism. I got told that ds' nursery were doing a great job as he's becoming a lovely young man....of course it's the 1.5 days a week (term time) he spends there, and nothing to do with the rest of the week spent with me!

Crosshair Mon 12-Sep-11 19:29:19

''Everytime I see you correcting people on this I always think you are trying to impress MN moderators so much that they will give you a job.''

They should. grin

cheeseandmarmitesandwich Mon 12-Sep-11 19:45:53

My MIL does this. DD1 was a very early walker, is fantastically sporty and can run and climb like a kid twice her age- apparently she gets it all from DH's side. DD2 has been 'slow' to start walking and is a bit 'lazy' - apparently that's my fault for not making her walk and carrying her too much hmm

Crosshair Mon 12-Sep-11 19:49:27

If it bothers you say something, I dont think they do it to upset you more like of thought. Obviously I may well be wrong and they hate everying about you but I hope thats not the case.

Crosshair Mon 12-Sep-11 19:49:44

like = lack

Wallace Mon 12-Sep-11 20:21:09

Trillian - well spotted. That's because I know I am being a little unreasonable. I do get on with MIL even though she is a tad overbearing, and you are right I'm sure she meant well.

Luckily she also freely admits that our "naughtiest" dc is just like dh when he was little grin

cory Mon 12-Sep-11 20:21:53

My Mum does it the other way round. Any problem they must have got from dh's family- even if it is a genetic condition that both her and I have, and nobody in dh's family has ever shown any signs of. [grrr]

Talker2010 Mon 12-Sep-11 20:24:06

you have to remember that your DH is probably his Mum's PFB

storminabuttercup Mon 12-Sep-11 21:17:37

My mum does this! 'ooh look baby storms hair is curly, he gets that from your great aunt floss' regardless of the fact that DP's hair is curly, and before anyone asks he is also my sons father! grin

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 12-Sep-11 21:24:09

is being a good swimmer gentic ??? perhaps she meant it in the way he got some good genes from his father.

maybells Mon 12-Sep-11 22:53:29

ynbu my mil is exactly the same even worse.
when ds was born he looked just like his dad no denying that but as hes got older he looks just like me but she wont have it. he was beautiful bright blond hair and she still wont have its me, his bludy dad is ginger and im blond.
used to piss me off because i know she hates me so will use anything to discredit me.
my son is very boisterous as was i when his age and she gets all disgruntled because hes not like his dad. thats because all she did was stuff sweets and crap down her kids throats and made them fat! thank god dp is like his father. i will stop myself now because i am verging on ranting on for pages about the old bint.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now