Talk

Advanced search

To miss at least half my qualifications (especially the highest) off an application for a job?

(89 Posts)
Shakti Mon 12-Sep-11 15:00:36

Ok, is it?

Cavvie Mon 12-Sep-11 15:01:30

I don't see why not.

StrandedBear Mon 12-Sep-11 15:04:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MangoMonster Mon 12-Sep-11 15:05:54

I personally don't think it's ok. Obviously, depends on the job and qualifications but how is someone supposed to tell if you are suitable for a job? You might be over qualified, but I guess that's why you're doing it? You should check the legal side if it's an important job.

MangoMonster Mon 12-Sep-11 15:06:52

strandedbear I can understand it in that scenario.

Maryz Mon 12-Sep-11 15:08:35

I can understand why you would do it. I was turned down for a "back to education" course, because I'm overeducated confused, and in the past I've been turned down for jobs because I'm "overqualified". I wish I had hidden a few things.

itisnearlysummer Mon 12-Sep-11 15:10:18

Won't it show up though on a cv when you detail other jobs/skills/experience?

How will you account for the time spent studying etc?

However, I'm basing this on the fact that I have to account for every second of my life since leaving school on my applications! Maybe you won't have to do this.

I can see why it might be necessary though.

Shakti Mon 12-Sep-11 15:22:18

I have accounted for my time by stating full time mother blush. I have also missed out a highish status job or two the same way. I am so pissed off. I just want a bloody job. Tis up to me if I want to apply to work in a shop, be a receptionist. No jobs available anywhere close in my line of work (ok was one and I got turned down in a field of strong qualified applicants - probably because I stepped off ladder for child care reasons!!!!). I have been explicitly turned down for three jobs as over qualified, they have to fit post to person as well as person to post don't you know???angry

I just want a job and am really hoping that checks won't reveal gaps. I have selected referees very carefully to match profile. It is crazy.

It just feels so wrong.

gallicgirl Mon 12-Sep-11 15:28:40

Wouldn't blame you.

I've been turned down for jobs before now as "over-qualified". I think some employers see a degree qualification and automatically think that the person will be off as soon as a better job comes along and they'll have wasted all that money training you.

Personally I think it's up to me to decide how long to stay in a job and graduates aren't always looking for a better deal. If I have to support my family, I have to take what jobs come along. I hate the assumption that I will be bored, unchallenged etc.

The interviewer probably gets scared that you'll be better at their job than they are and show them up!

RedOnion Mon 12-Sep-11 15:49:34

OP - I am in the same position as you. I too just want a job, any job! I have had to edit my CV quite extensively because I have been turned down for over 6 jobs in last 3 months because I am classed as over qualified.

I say do whatever works for you and best of luck.

Andrewofgg Mon 12-Sep-11 15:50:11

Some employers ask in terms for all qualifications, relevant or not, precisely because they don't want over-qualified people. They believe - rightly or not - not only that they won't stay but that they will be bored. If asked to declare all, you must.

Pendeen Mon 12-Sep-11 16:35:50

It depends on what the employer has asked for as regards completeness of information on their application form.

YABU....if they have asked for full details of education, training and experience including full career history and explanantion of any gaps. By not answering fully or omitting details specifically asked for i.e. complying with their terms - you are being dishonest

YANBU (possibly)....if you are only asked for career details and certificates or qualifications relevant to that particular job.

If I was looking to employ someone I would expect honesty from the start.

Also difficult to comment fully without knowing what the job is, what your qualifications are and why you consider yourself "over qualified".

As an aside, it may be that some of you who regard themselves as "over qualified" are misunderstanding the requirements of a particular job. For example it's all very well having a degree in English if, for example, the job calls for NVQ Level 1 plumbing. Your qualifications may be of a different level but in fact you are underqualified for that particular job.

CoffeeDog Mon 12-Sep-11 16:37:01

The only job i was inteveiwed for and never got was for tesco's... it was a evening part time job. They said i was over qualified and would leave after a week.

when i need another partime job i will 'adjust' cv to suit ;)

Fluter Mon 12-Sep-11 16:40:24

I've done it. I just take the attitude that you wouldn't necessarily reveal a certificate in food safety that you did so you could help the WI as a volunteer out if you were applying for a job in law, so if you're applying for a job in retail, why put the MA in history or some such that you did part-time, just for the hell of it.

It's only fraud if you claim to have something you don't! I guess it might only look odd if you 'forget' to mention, say, a law degree and you have a work past that obviously requires one, IYSWIM.

I'm vastly over qualified for the job I do (still means I have to do a qualification akin to a GCSE to be 'qualified' to do it, despite me already having one in the same field but a few rungs up the ladder - tickybox time!), but I like it, have no intention of leaving, and it suits me. It just means that my employer gets a hell of a lot for the money. I've known quite a few people (including those with PhDs) who are quite happy doing jobs that mean they don't have to stretch their brains, because they use them in other ways instead.

wicketkeeper Mon 12-Sep-11 17:27:52

I've had a variety of very different careers, and as I've also moved quite a bit, I seem to be forever applying for jobs. I simply have a range of CV's depending on which type of job I'm going for. I tweak every CV to emphasise whatever that particular employer seems to think they want. Don't get me started on the abilities of the people who write the 'must have' lists on job ads.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 12-Sep-11 17:31:42

I've done this before. I leftout the fact I was a qualified midwife when applying for office jobs as there weren't any midwife jobs about.

diddl Mon 12-Sep-11 17:34:39

I can see why you would do it.

Although it seems unfair on someone who isn´t qualified to aim higher iyswim.

Riveninabingle Mon 12-Sep-11 17:37:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shakti Mon 12-Sep-11 19:15:50

It is soul destroying. My qualifications are kind of related to stuff I am applying for now. Generally I am better qualified than a few tiers of management. BUT I want to go back to the coalface so to speak. I enjoyed it a lot more than being higher up the hierarchy!

It does not seem right, and yes I am asked for full qualifications and employment history. And yes I think I might well trip myself up.

I am considering saying all this at interview, if I get any bloody interviews to salve my conscience. Not sure admitting deceit will help me get a job though sad.

Anyway two apps done today (they take twice as long when covering my tracks). Keep your fingers crossed for me.... Pretty please!

Meglet Mon 12-Sep-11 19:19:19

I had to take some of my job experience off my CV as the agencies said it was too good to get the admin roles I was going for. At the time I was a buyer for a large company, had loads of experience but didn't enjoy it so wanted to have a less pressured job for a while.

Butterflybows Mon 12-Sep-11 19:24:26

I really sympathise Shakti x

TooImmature2BDumbledore Mon 12-Sep-11 19:25:35

Erk, don't think saying it at interview is a good idea! Although I'm not quite sure what happens if you get the job - do you stick rigidly to the story you told forever, making no mistakes? Because that might be v tricky.

Personally, I think take the highly qualified person, because there's a good chance they will do the job well and the job market being what it is, they could stay with you for years, and you get more experience for less money. Not that my opinion will get you the job sad.

GetAwayFromHerYouBitch Mon 12-Sep-11 19:28:36

I have been in this position too. I got round the problem by volunteering for a long time. They got to now me, saw I fitted in, and that lead to a job. I'm pretty sure I would not have been shortlisted otherwise.

GetAwayFromHerYouBitch Mon 12-Sep-11 19:29:28

know me
led

Jeez blush

MonkeyTastic Mon 12-Sep-11 20:09:03

If you are turned down for a job and told "you're over qualified" then they are trying to let you down nicely.

The real reason why people don't get job that they feel are "below" them is because someone else performed better at the interview. Simple.

Don't go around saying you're over qualified and that's why you can't get a job, it only makes you look like a bad sport.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now