Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to request reimbursement from a company I have no dealings with?

(12 Posts)
VelvetSnow Mon 12-Sep-11 13:31:32

During last week I received a card from the postie - you know one of those cards that say not enough postage paid, please pay the amount shown.

I sent it back with the correct postage applied. The amount was £1.22.

So, this morning the item of mail arrives and it's a bloody marketing mailer. I've paid £1.22 to receive information that I did not request or want.

My first thoughts were 'cheeky buggers' and I put it in the bin but now I'm thinking WIBU to ask for the £1.22 back?

Imagine if this company had done this with all of the mailers?

Maybe I'm just being picky becauser I'm in a mood anyway but I'd like to ask for the money back.

AIBU?

Andrewofgg Mon 12-Sep-11 13:35:07

Send it back in an envelope without a stamp and add some blank paper to make it heavier.

Lizcat Mon 12-Sep-11 13:36:20

I always go to the sorting office because you can look at the item before paying and then decline it and not pay if it is marketing.

BellaneyMimphus Mon 12-Sep-11 13:36:41

DO IT you must

Insomnia11 Mon 12-Sep-11 13:37:33

Great idea, Andrewofgg. I was going to suggest writing to them to ask for a refund of the £1.22 and a removal from the mailing list, but I prefer your suggestion!

caughtinanet Mon 12-Sep-11 13:37:42

I like Andrew's idea - I'd be really annoyed as well.

Was it from a big company?

NoMoreWasabi Mon 12-Sep-11 13:39:45

Actually, I wrote to someone about this a few years ago. I was more annoyed that they had kept mailing me despite me telling them not to market to me. But the final straw was when an unfranked letter came meaning my employer paid £1 something to receive unwanted marketing crap. I wrote a snotty letter to the data controller pointing this all stuff out and got a cheque for £5 sent.

Insomnia11 Mon 12-Sep-11 13:40:59

In fact, I'm tempted to do that with letters to the previous owner who moved out in 2006, yet the Prudential/Lloyds have not removed our address from their records in spite of me writing "Not at this address since December 2006" on and reposting every time. Perhaps having to pay additional postage would focus their minds.

VelvetSnow Mon 12-Sep-11 13:41:52

The company is not one that I recognise, it's a design company, but the mailer is very good quality.

Perhaps the money they've saved on postage has been used in the budget for the actual mailer! smile

VelvetSnow Mon 12-Sep-11 13:45:18

I have just sent the following email:

"We have received your mail shot and are appalled to find that we had to pay £1.22 in order to receive it!

It is clear that someone within your business has not applied the correct postage and as a result the people you are trying to attract are in fact having to pay additional postage.

Postage Underpaid £0.22p
Handling Fee £1.00

I expect to be reimbursed for this.

Please contact me to confirm how you wish to make payment."

If I don't get a response, I'll do what Andrew suggested.

Chrysanthemum5 Mon 12-Sep-11 14:27:17

I had this once and the company insisted they had used a stamp but it had mysteriously fallen off! They refused to pay the fee I said I wouldn't shop there again (no real loss though as I'd never shopped there anyway). Only good thing was they took me off their mailing list.

smalltownshame Mon 12-Sep-11 14:30:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now