Advanced search

To want to stay off work with my period? TMI sorry

(30 Posts)
dollydoops Mon 12-Sep-11 06:41:03

Ok, so my period started yesterday. I was bleeding loads and in absolute agony, to the extent that I was crying and retching with the pain. (I always have v heavy and painful periods but this was much, much worse. It has happened before- I was sent home from work and went to the doctor, who said that my uterus was contracting so much that it was twisting, and that was why it hurt so much.)
I am on my way to work now, wearing 2 night time pads. I can already feel that I will need to change these as soon as I get to work. I am in pain despite the fact that I have taken v strong painkillers. I feel like crying and am constantly worried that I will bleed through my clothes.
Aibu to think that I would be justified in taking time off work? I am a teacher btw so would not be able to go to the toilet at will.

Aftereightsaremine Mon 12-Sep-11 06:45:53

I would go back to your GP & demand referral to gynaecologist for investigations. In the meantime you could ask for tranexamic which will lessen heaviness.

Good luck

Icelollycraving Mon 12-Sep-11 06:47:08

Poor you! I rarely think people should take time off sick for period pain,yours sounds extreme. Get yourself some diclofenac,hot water bottle & get yourself to bed. Hope you feel better soon.

whyme2 Mon 12-Sep-11 06:47:09

Actually it sounds horrendous for you and I would take time off and go back to your GP for some help. If your periods are causing you this much stress and forcing you to take time off work then you need to ask for some help.


Icelollycraving Mon 12-Sep-11 06:47:51

Ps do get checked out with gp.

iscream Mon 12-Sep-11 07:19:19

I agree.
Taking time off when needed is ok, but if you have to take time frequently it may interfere with your job. It sounds like you probably should stay home today though. You must see your doctor and get something to help you through your periods. Hopefully they are not always this bad.
I sympathize and hope tomorrow is a better day.

Meglet Mon 12-Sep-11 07:30:34

Yes, back to your GP. Pain is pain.

My cervix was almost scarred shut following an op (gynea said my womb was contracting extra hard to push the blood out, ouch) so my periods used to nearly finish me off and I always had a day or half day off every month.

GrannysLittlePickle Mon 12-Sep-11 07:31:18

You have classic teacher guilt - "must drag myself in on my deathbed".... ignore it!

Stay in bed, take painkillers, and insist on a referral from your gp to get it investigated!

Meglet Mon 12-Sep-11 07:31:54

Meant to say yanbu.

Mumleigh Mon 12-Sep-11 07:44:45

YANBU. This is not a normal period. I suffered like this for years until I had a cyst removed and my endometriosis cleared.

I had the mirena coil fitted as a treatment for the endo and it changed my life

Take the day off and phone your GP and demand a referal.If you have private healthcare you can book and pay for a consultation and if the specialist suggests a laparoscapy it should be covered and the insurance will refund the cost if the consultation too.

I mention this as I had health cover thru my job and I suffered for years being fobbed off by my GP before discovering that I was actually covered under my insurance. It was only once I saw a consultant as a private patient that my pain was taken seriously.

I hope you feel better soon.

blackeyedsusan Mon 12-Sep-11 07:46:41

You have classic teacher guilt - "must drag myself in on my deathbed".... ignore it!

Stay in bed, take painkillers, and insist on a referral from your gp to get it investigated!

i agree, bed... and back to the dr too if it is thaat bad.

springydaffs Mon 12-Sep-11 09:50:40

YANBU - poor you, that sounds dreadful. (hug)

Aside from getting a referral from your GP absolutely immediately I would suggest the mooncup for heaving bleeding. It changed my life - I could not only go out the first few days of my period but actually wore white trousers with no fear of accidents. Amazing.

HOpe you get this sorted soon OP.

JodieHarsh Mon 12-Sep-11 09:56:56

Dear Lord woman, you cannot go to work like that! Imagine if you were in that much pain for any other reason; you simply would not consider it.

And you do NOT have to stand for this. No woman should be expected to just cope with this level of pain. Go and demand referral to a specialist.

Jeez this stuff makes me cross. if men had had to suffer one tenth of what women do, there would have been research and money poured into this <wanders off muttering about the patriarchy>

Get back to met OP RIGHT THIS MINUTE.

pinkstarlight Mon 12-Sep-11 10:09:35

feel for you my daughter use to suffer for one day every month like you,i cant say the school was very supportive.go back to the gp no way should you have to suffer like this.

porcamiseria Mon 12-Sep-11 10:12:12

you need to see your GP, as they can give you 2 drugs

1 to lessen bleeding
1 to lessen pain

dont do nothing and assume this is part and parcel of being a woman, adress it!

and you need to get a collegues to cover for you so you can change your pads

a felow sufferer, but yours is BAD

crashdoll Mon 12-Sep-11 12:07:13

YANBU and please go to your GP! I take tranexamic acid; it's said to reduce bleeding up to 50% and it really does! Anti-inflammatories combined with paracetamol should help take the edge off the pain. A referral to a gyno sounds in order too. Don't suffer in silence.

fanjobanjowanjo Mon 12-Sep-11 12:54:29

Your poor thing! Take the day off and get seen by a specialist. It is absolutely unreasonable to expect you to work when you're in so much pain - like someone else said, if you were in this much pain for any other reason you wouldn't put up with it. Don't dismiss it as something you have to put up with. Best of luck getting sorted smile

Dirtydishesmakemesad Mon 12-Sep-11 12:58:06

Of course have the day off, just because pain is caused by a perios doesnt make it any kess deserving than anythign else!.
I woukd see your doctor again that sounds horrendous.

MyRightToAdvice Mon 12-Sep-11 12:59:11

YANBU -gracious - i would not be going into work, esp as a teacher, in that state! I only once years ago went home early from work with extreme period pains, luckily I was close friends with my immediate boss so he (yes he !!) was v understanding as he could see how much pain I was in!

Marymaryalittlecontrary Mon 12-Sep-11 13:09:56

Definitely take the day off. I have heavy periods, although generally they are less painful than when I was a teenager. Most months I have to take painkillers on the first day, though every now and again they are tolerable without painkillers. But, occasionally, I have a period that makes me feel sick, I turn white, I shake, I have terrible pain, and generally feel awful, and painkillers just don't touch it. When that happens I am no good for anything. A few months ago I was staying with my mum and due to return home on a 7 hour coach trip when my period started. There was no way I could make the trip and spent the day on my mum's sofa alternating between shivering and being hot, in pain, with a sick bowl next to me.

That doesn't happen too often with me thank goodness, but when it does it's awful, so you have my sympathy. I hope you're at home starting to feel a bit better now.

Also, what I have discovered is that if I have done a lot of exercise the day before my period starts then when it does often the pain is tolerable without painkillers. Don't really know why that is but it definitely helps me. Last month I had a terrible first day again and realised that the day before I'd been stuck in the house all day as I was babysitting my niece and it was pouring with rain so as she didn't have a coat with her we stayed in all day.

Tota1Xaos Mon 12-Sep-11 13:13:06

yanbu. and as others have said, push for a proper investigation and treatment, you shouldn't be expected to tolerate this much bleeding and pain. And get checked for anaemia.

ZhenXiang Mon 12-Sep-11 13:24:18

As a teacher who used to have extremely painful periods I can completely sympathise. Get a referral to gynae from your GP, their could be something else going on.

Take another day off if you need to and don't feel guilty, but go to GP and get medical note (even if you have to pay) as in my experience schools are rarely understanding even though most of the management are women! I ended up in hospital a few times the vomiting and pain was so bad and despite the evidence the school I was working for at the time was still shirty with me.

Try magnesium supplement, helps with cramping also Feroglobin iron tonic very good taken at least 3 times a day from the week before period starts. Hot water bottles, warm baths and another day on the sofa watching crap tv would be my recommendation to you.

BupcakesandCunting Mon 12-Sep-11 13:28:56


I have the same issues as you but luckily I only work out of the house one day per week. Some days it gets so bad that I have to sit on a towel wrapped in a plastic bag and try not to move if I can help it as when I stand up, blood gushes out (sorry TMI) Then there's the pain! Oh, the pain... My doctor tried giving me tranexemic acid but it didn't work for me. It might work for you, as it does for lots of women. Try it.

Hope you're feeling better soon. You have my sympathy. smile

MissMarjoribanks Mon 12-Sep-11 13:38:21

Poor you, OP. Mine started heavily this morning and I had to ask one of my male colleagues if I could sit down while we were having a meeting as my vision was starting to grey out and I was about to faint. He was extremely sympathetic as his wife is the same. Embarrassing having to tell him though... blush

Different (male) colleague also sympathetic and told me he thought men got it easy as there was no equivalent. I told him I was happy to apply a monthly kick in the bollocks if he wanted equality. grin

TastesLikePanda Mon 12-Sep-11 13:41:01

grin at 'Monthly kick in the bollocks'!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: