Talk

Advanced search

to think it is impossible to change a night time code brown...

(19 Posts)
JugsMcGee Sun 11-Sep-11 21:57:46

...without the baby thinking it's playtime?! Since we started weaning, 6.5mo DS has returned to the delights of 3am pooing. I obviously need the light on to clean him properly (although I do use a touch lamp on the dim setting) and by the time I'm done, he's gone into super-happy-loopy mode, which usually involves kicking his legs like mad, waving his arms, doing Zoidberg-esque turns in his cot and shouting. The finale is rolling onto his stomach and forgetting he can roll back and shouting even louder for me to come and rescue him.

If there is a way to prevent this please share!

GossipWitch Sun 11-Sep-11 22:01:44

Just tell him no its not play time its sleep time, and when your done just put him back in his cot with a kiss and wrapped up, he should soon get the idea that its night time not play time.

CombineArvester Sun 11-Sep-11 22:04:46

Sounds obvious but the overnight poo can sometimes be cut out by watching what you give him for dinner / tea... we had a no fruit after 3pm rule for our youngest for quite some time, even now there is a no citrus fruit after tea rule grin

Stick to mostly carbs for tea I reckon. Even at 3am they are quite cute with their little fat leg kicks at that age though.

slavetofilofax Sun 11-Sep-11 22:06:05

YANBU, but it's understandable when you are six months old and your arse is wiped with cold baby wipes that you start to feel quite awake!

I used to put the pack of wipes on top of a towel the radiator in the hope that it wouldn't wake ds's up quite so much if the wipes weren't cold. I don't think it worked though.

Proudnscary Sun 11-Sep-11 22:07:33

Awww sorry all I can think of is how lovely this age is -mine are big and grown-ish (sniff). He'll sort himself out - enjoy!

WhiteTrash Sun 11-Sep-11 22:09:19

This will happen to me at some point. My first didnt mind a poo so Id not know there was a code brown until the morning. This baby however hates being lefy in poo for more than a minute. So when the weaned night time poos start I'll be in the same boat.

I laughefd out loud at the Zoidberg discription.

JugsMcGee Sun 11-Sep-11 22:10:47

Combine that's my problem, I can't help but grin at him and giggle with him, he's really funny! I'm liking the no fruit after 3pm rule though. In fact, I did give him some apple yesterday after his tea and I had a delightful night poo. He hasn't had fruit tonight though, put the rule to the test grin

Slave it is totally understandable!

Proud it is a lovely age, he's growing too fast.

youarekidding Sun 11-Sep-11 22:13:19

Oh I remember the joys. hmm

I used to turn on my bedroom light which DP loved! and leave my door and DS door open. It provided enough light to change but not enough to cause him to be too alert iyswim?

I also used to put him back say 'night night' and if he did the turn and call (is it a conspiracy!) I would turn him back and say 'night'. If he did it again I turned him and said nothing.

It's very young to do return to bed so I used to make sure I gave extra OTT attention first thing in the morning to indicate daytime was for playing.

He did get it eventually grin

JugsMcGee Sun 11-Sep-11 22:13:30

WhiteTrash he weirdly doesn't make a fuss, I think he just wakes to do it. I was staying at my parents once and had left the change bag downstairs. By the time I got back upstairs he was going back off to sleep with a full nappy!

Honestly, Zoidberg is the only description that fits, I find him in so many weird positions and he looks so pleased with himself!

JugsMcGee Sun 11-Sep-11 22:16:36

Haha youarekidding, I've been putting the bathroom light on and leaving the door open and I've been so kind to DH by shutting our bedroom door. He, however, leaves it wide open so it's wakey time for me too. Git.

Tee2072 Sun 11-Sep-11 22:28:42

See you just have to become the Queen of the sleeping baby nappy change like me!

Last night my 2.3 year old had a poo when I checked him at 930. I lifted him from his bed, put him on his table, PJ bottoms off, bum wiped, cream applied, new nappy on, PJ bottom on, back into bed. Never woke up!

::bows::

PS I use the hall light and his door half open.

JugsMcGee Sun 11-Sep-11 22:31:19

<Bows down to Tee in "I am not worthy" fashion>

How on earth did you do that?

babybythesea Sun 11-Sep-11 22:50:09

I could do the 'Tee' manouver too. It's a lot to do (in my case) with having a baby who sleeps like the dead. My dd could sleep through a nappy change, and on the odd occasion, a change of clothing due to leakage. Now, age 2, she sleeps through being removed from the car (even when cardigan snags on seatbelt and a tug of war has taken place before idiot Mummy realises and desnags...), coat removal and placement into cot to continue nap. She will also, if tired enough, sleep through attempts to wake her if nap is continuing dangerously near to bedtime (said attempts including talking, stroking face, lifting out of cot, talking louder and louder next to her ear, and continuing with hoovering while holding upright sleeping toddler against you.)
What she hears, every time, and responds to and which sends her into instant and alert wakefulness, is the sound of Mummy slipping into a really hot bath with a brilliant book when Daddy has gone out for the night... not the bath running, just the relaxed sigh as I sink slowly under the water. That, and the sounds I make as I drift into sleep on the night when I am really, really tired.

bilblio Sun 11-Sep-11 22:53:52

Minimum eye contact, no talking, (except shushing) no smiling and be quick.

It helps that I'm an exceedingly grumpy soul when I've not had enough sleep, even when faced with the extremely cute antics of a baby. grin

GalaxyWeaver Sun 11-Sep-11 22:58:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tee2072 Mon 12-Sep-11 06:44:35

At night, he sleeps through anything like babybythsea's daughter. During the day he doesn't though!

GossipWitch Mon 12-Sep-11 08:43:15

Oh my kids are zombie sleepers too, particularly when there ill, ds2 got so bad last week, that I was trying to wake him whilst on the phone to nhs direct, checking over the symptoms, they sent an ambulance out, he had tonsilitis hmm

TipOfTheSlung Mon 12-Sep-11 08:51:58

These are brilliant for a dim light that is enough to see by

Mouseketool Mon 12-Sep-11 10:57:18

No eye contact and def no smiling

I once fished a big (solid) poo out of DS's nappy as I didn't want to wake him! (God, the things you do)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now