Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To expect the sales assistant to remove the security tag?

(50 Posts)
readywithwellies Sun 11-Sep-11 21:02:26

Bought a fab bargain from a well known department store. Dress reduced from £150 to £39. Got home and tag on it. One with ink in it. Grrrr! Advice on their web is take it back to the store. Why should I have to pay to do this when it is their fault? It will cost me over £5 to do this and take up at least an hour to do it.

Talker2010 Sun 11-Sep-11 21:04:08

Why should I have to pay to do this when it is their fault

Well, clearly, you shouldn't ... and it is indeed reasonable to expect that it would have been removed

But ... these things happen

Sandalwood Sun 11-Sep-11 21:04:32

Pesky isn't it? I've had that before.

Groovee Sun 11-Sep-11 21:05:38

It happens everytime we go to Disneyland Paris. We always end up in the disney store getting it removed.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Sun 11-Sep-11 21:05:55

'Tis v annoying. An email to head office asking them to refund your costs or give you a further discount?

thisisyesterday Sun 11-Sep-11 21:08:01

damn those pesky people with their ability to occasionally make mistakes!

hang em all I reckon. that'll teach them to accidentally forget something one time won't it?

soverylucky Sun 11-Sep-11 21:10:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ExpensivePants Sun 11-Sep-11 21:11:23

Ugh, I had this with DD's christening robe. Spotted the (great big black) security tag on it when home. Schlepped back to the shop, they removed it. Put it on her, got her christened, took photos. Looked at photos once home, another arsewiping great big black tag on the dress, really obvious in all the photos, looks like we nicked it.

Marched it back again, read the riot act, it cost a fortune (MIL's gift), they couldn't have given less of a toss. I was furious.

Sirzy Sun 11-Sep-11 21:11:49

I am sure they didnt do it on purpose. As annoying as it is its not worth getting wound up about.

What makes me laugh when it does happen is the alarms never sound LEAVING the shop but always do when you return!

mollythetortoise Sun 11-Sep-11 21:12:10

or try a nearer store and just explain - they might be happy to take it off for you. I boght a top in frace on hols and still had tag on when i got it home to englad - took it to tesco's and they took off tag

AmazingBouncingFerret Sun 11-Sep-11 21:21:21

Someone in my local New Look is a nightmare for this. I only know this because every Saturday at work I'll get customers coming in my doors and setting the alarms off as they enter. They'll look all shocked, I'll ask them if they've been in New Look, they'll say yes, so I end up having to deactivate the tag for them.

However... Us sales assistants are just mere mortals we often sometimes make mistakes, I'm sure if you phone them and explain and tell them that the next time you come into town you'll bring it in for removal, that way you're not making an extra journey?

Pawsnclaws Sun 11-Sep-11 21:25:30

You can find a video on YouTube for removing the tag yourself. I dud it recently with a pair of trousers from H and M. Very easy, you use two pairs of pliers one to hold each side of the tag then gently push in opposite directions. I'd link but I'm on my phone, sorry.

SnapesMistress Sun 11-Sep-11 21:26:27

This usually happens when buying bottles of whiskey at Tesco, they never remember to look inside the box for the tag. But OTOH I never remember to remind them. smile

Squishylicious Sun 11-Sep-11 21:50:27

Sirzy - the alarms going off on returning happened to a friend of mine in tesco. The security guard very loudly and indiscreetly accused him of shoplifting

frazzle26 Sun 11-Sep-11 21:51:46

Happened to me one in a well known shop Topshop and they wouldn't remove it as I'd lost the receipt. Grrrr angry

Sirzy Sun 11-Sep-11 21:52:48

I wouldn't try to remove the ink filled one yourself, not unless you want the dress ruined!

readywithwellies Sun 11-Sep-11 22:24:39

What really grates is I only go
Into town about every three months! Anyway got someone who is going in to take it. Still bloody annoying!

theincredibequeenofwands Sun 11-Sep-11 22:32:59

Tescos have security tags inside their boxes of electrical goods. Fine normally, but i once once buying a present, watched with dismay as they ripped open the box (badly damaging it) to locate the tag and then looked pissed off when I said it was a present and I couldn't buy it in that state.

ASDA destroy the sealed wrapping on their DVDs getting their security tags out. Again, I declinded the purchase once (only once) because it was a present. Their attitude stunk."Well, that's OUR policy on security." Then an evil look. Am sure it is, but I'm not buying it in that state!!

An effort should be made to remove security tags. It's part of ther job and you shouldn't have to go back to get it sorted.

BluddyMoFo Sun 11-Sep-11 22:35:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squeakytoy Sun 11-Sep-11 22:43:16

some items have more than one security tag on them, so its possible that the assistant removed one but didnt realise it had a second one.. its always an idea to check the item before you leave the store, then you dont have to traipse back again to get it removed..

Shakirasma Sun 11-Sep-11 22:46:41

Bloody sales assistants! Anybody would think they were human beings rather than super efficient robots. Tsk.

TotemPole Sun 11-Sep-11 22:52:55

YANBU, it's annoying.

I think it's stupid that the tags don't set off the door alarm then the mistake could be rectified immediately.

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 11-Sep-11 23:03:05

I know someone who used to work in a well known but expensive high street shop. She hated working there, and hated the customers as they were predominantly middle aged posh "ladies". She used to "forget" to remove the security tags so that the alarms would trigger on the way out, just to see the customers get embarrassed and annoyed.

She worked there for 3 years! I never could see why she didn't just get another job.

readywithwellies Mon 12-Sep-11 10:22:10

I can see which ones of you lot have worked in retail! wink

Picket arranged. And I am petitioning my mp for a beheading. grin

Why can't an op just vent their frustration?

readywithwellies Mon 12-Sep-11 10:23:09

Totem - exactly they don't even work properly so what is the point of them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now