Talk

Advanced search

Dd2 is playing out ALONE!

(11 Posts)
DooinMeCleanin Sun 11-Sep-11 16:34:35

Well not quite alone, but please tell me AIBU and must bring her in immediately!

She is four. We live in a cul de sac type street, so there is very little traffic. She is with dd1 (8), dd1's friend (10) and her own friend (also four).

She is playing in her friend's front garden/palasade type thing. It's directly opposite our house. We are checking on her every five/ten minutes, as is friend's mum.

Friend has older siblings who are in and out almost constantly and one older sibling (13) who is also playing out the front but up and down the road.

It is a bad idea, yes?

ginmakesitallok Sun 11-Sep-11 16:36:56

Why is it a bad idea????

troisgarcons Sun 11-Sep-11 16:37:55

No. Not if you are off the beaten track and parents are around.

However, stand by and someone will send you some bubble wrap.

TBH it depends where you live. No one would allow it on a main drag. You know your opwn childs maturity and intelligence levels and you know the other children involved.

Make sure your front door is open; all the kids here (pre school) are out of a weekend because there seems to be some dranged car washing competition with all the dads .... but thats another story!

Kayano Sun 11-Sep-11 16:38:34

She's in a garden ? You are being daft. Just leave her to play

ChippingIn Sun 11-Sep-11 16:39:43

Leave her to play. No doubt someone will be along to tell you that you are an irresponsible parent shortly though... just ignore them grin

DooinMeCleanin Sun 11-Sep-11 16:40:31

It is a bad idea because it means my baby is growing up and is no longer a baby sad.

I was hoping to be told she is still a baby.

There are lots of children and parents out and about. The children tend to congregrate around our house. We are right next to the enterance to the park.

mumnotmachine Sun 11-Sep-11 16:41:21

Shes not alone though
Shes with 3 other kids

troisgarcons Sun 11-Sep-11 16:44:06

Do you know something? the one thing about parenting that is often totally lost? It's our job to make our children self sufficient and able to survive when they fly the nest.

I know your little one is only 4 - but believe me - those years will fly by and she will thank you for allowing her to be a well rounded individual. grin

freesiaLiliy Sun 11-Sep-11 16:44:14

aww bless, I remember feeling that way when my DS 1 and 2 went off alone for the first time. they are 15 and 18 now and I rarely see them! get used to it grin

StopRainingPlease Sun 11-Sep-11 16:49:36

mumnotmachine, the first time I let my DD (at about 5) play out with other kids they thought it was hilarious to hide and leave her on her own angry. It was a while before I let her go out with other kids again.

DooinMeCleanin Sun 11-Sep-11 16:55:29

My problem with it is that I don't have any children at home anymore. It's bad enough that I have to send her to school (well actually I was looking forward to that and planned on taking up swimming) but now she comes in from school and her friend is over two seconds later asking her to go and play.

My house is empty. I thought I'd like this, but I don't. I have full control of the TV. I actually had to sit and watch Wizards of Waverly Place alone yesterday blush. T'is not right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now