Talk

Advanced search

Gaaaah, Wikipaedia!

(18 Posts)
SeniorWrangler Sun 11-Sep-11 16:09:56

I am ill today but sentient, so I have been distracting myself by updating the entry for my old school on Wikipaedia. We have a few interesting alumni, such as high court judges, patrons of national charities, published authors, prizewinning artists and the like, all in the public domain, so I though it would be nice to add them to the list, also to do my bit for feminism (it was a girls' school and women are often so overlooked in public life and the history books).

Only some daft sod keeps deleting them on the grounds that they are not 'notable enough'. So being made a Dame of the British Empire and so on is not notable enough then???????? Being one of the first female Privy Council members??? Publishing loads of well-reviewed novels and being interviewed on Women's Hour????

It's a bloomin anti-woman conspiracy. FFS.

TrillianAstra Sun 11-Sep-11 16:12:12

You haven't asked an "Am I Being Unreasonable?" question. Therefore YABU.

I like "ill but sentient" btw smile

worraliberty Sun 11-Sep-11 16:13:08

How did you find out the reason for deletion?

SeniorWrangler Sun 11-Sep-11 16:13:10

Am I Being Unreasonable putting this type of person on Wikipaedia as notable. grin

Andrewofgg Sun 11-Sep-11 16:13:59

One person cannot be a conspiracy, SeniorWrangler smile

SeniorWrangler Sun 11-Sep-11 16:26:47

They represent a male hegemony, I am sure. wink

Andrewofgg Sun 11-Sep-11 16:32:49

Probably, SeniorWrangler, but it was you who used a singular noun and verb smile

glitterkitten Sun 11-Sep-11 16:35:03

OP was it BSGD by any chance??

SeniorWrangler Sun 11-Sep-11 16:37:06

Nope, HC.

I am so cross I can't do grammar any more Andrew wink

Snorbs Sun 11-Sep-11 16:42:13

Much as I love wikipedia it has some deep structural problems. Not least the weak and often arbitrary methods of negotiating differences of opinion between editors. Plus the fact that there are some people who seem to spend all day every day logged in to wikipedia tracking edits and if you can't devote as much time to it as they do (because you've got, y'know, a life and stuff) then you'll lose.

SeniorWrangler Sun 11-Sep-11 16:49:54

Bastard has removed all of them yet again. I am a bit crap at posting editing requests so I have done that wrong as well. Pants.

iskra Sun 11-Sep-11 16:52:42

Wondering what school you went to now grin Was it MHSG?

Metal Sun 11-Sep-11 17:55:10

When it comes to listing alumni for schools or universities I'd go by the rule that they're probably only "notable" if they're notable enough to have their own page on wikipedia. Looking at the pages of my old school, and a couple of others from my city, all but a few of the alumni meet this criteria.

Metal Sun 11-Sep-11 17:57:45

Should add that your list looks like it should contain such people, but without knowing who they are I can't judge smile

SeniorWrangler Sun 11-Sep-11 18:22:11

I've gone back through the list and added links to entries in Debrett's and so on, so hopefully that will make the other person think a bit.

I can't say having your own entry on Wiki means anything apart from someone bothered to write one, tbh. I mean, does a TV presenter who has been in two programmes and hired a PR to write her entry supersede someone with a DBE or someone on half a dozen major public committees who is the Queen's representative in her county? I don't think so.

Metal Sun 11-Sep-11 19:18:54

OK, I should change to only including people deserving of their own wiki page. I'm sure your list will still be full of such people.

I should point out that I have never edited a wikipedia article and don't know the official stance. I'm sure they'll have rules about this somewhere that you can check.

ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Sun 11-Sep-11 19:22:11

Curious as to the school...........

SeniorWrangler Sun 11-Sep-11 20:04:28

Have done this. Chose people with awards/prizes/public recognition/multiple publications.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now